Teep Tactics

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
Tonight in sparring my coach rearranged my organs with his teep.

Curious as to what you guys use to deal with someone who has a very good teep or just any linear kicks in general really.

Since the teep is my favorite strike, I deal with other teepers by goin to war... Others will say to take angles, feint in and out movement, distance deception, moving constantly to the side etc... But that's for fancy pants Kickboxing.

A good way to deal with a spammer, is to make him pay for his preferred strike early on. For the teep, the catch + move to the outside for the big drop is very efficient, but not so easy to pull. But if you manage to do it 2 or 3 times early, he will reconsider throwing it.

Low (hips) :
-Knee check. Even if you miss the timing, if the knee strikes his stretched leg from under, it will diminish the force, unbalance him and maybe even do some damages...
-Front hand external parry, just watch out for the feint into a Brazilian kick.
-Rear hand external parry. (I personally don't use it). Again, watch out for the Brazilian kick.
-Front hand Internal parry. I personally don't recommend it, unless you go for a catch. But I sometime use it, since I don't like to parry with my rear hand.
-Catch + make him pay. I prefer drops than strikes. You can add a step back for the catch.
-Step back.
-Absorb it (bend your waist with the strike). But you will loose points... Just rearrange your shorts right after the strike to show coolness.

Mid (plexus):
-Front hand external parry.
-Front elbow internal parry.
-Rear hand external parry. (I personally don't use it)
-Fade back. I don't really recommend it for the mid, unless it's to late and it's the only way to absorb the blow.
-Catch + make him pay. The catch at that height is more difficult than for the lower one.
-Double arm block + push forward.
-Step back.

High (Face):
-Double arm high block + push forward.
-Front elbow internal parry.
-Front hand external parry.
-Rear hand external parry. (I personally don't use it)
-Fade Back.

There is a school of thoughts that's says (for same stance): You parry the front teep to the outside with your front hand, you parry the rear teep to the outside with your rear hand. I really don't like to parry with my rear hand, but it's has some evident benefits... He will go to the outside. Otherwise he will step in front of you, with the opportunity to flow into a second strike.
I personally use the knee check or the catch to the low rear teep. For the mid rear teep, either the front elbow parry or double arm block. Same for the rear high.
If i use the "wrong hand" parry, i will make sure to strike first as he steps in, with a rear elbow or a clinch entry.

Had a Sityodtong pro fighter dude who threw teeps like a monster. He recommended to do the butt scoot thing where you shove your ass violently out to one side like you're a chick grinding in the club, to avoid the kick entirely then counter with a rear roundhouse. I only have a few years of MT under my belt so I'm not sure if that has a name, but I think you know what I'm talking about.

Another pro I trained with preferred just the simple step back and catch to throw or step back and sweep. Not much can go wrong with those two. A lot can go wrong with the first, but it hits way harder.

I usually prefer the safe way in any situation, rather than getting bones/face broken.

lift the leg and swipe away

lower your guard slightly by dropping the elbow down like your defending a body shot. This was is very annoying and discourages from spamming the kick

then of course you have the myriad of other parry/catch and counters

Since the teep is my favorite strike, I deal with other teepers by goin to war... Others will say to take angles, feint in and out movement, distance deception, moving constantly to the side etc... But that's for fancy pants Kickboxing.

I knew there was a reason i liked you. Once a nak muay always a nak muay. Very informative post will definitely try those next sparring class. Its distance month at the gym so people are loving teeps atm

I like to fake them out and jam distance and let my hands go. If they're traditional , its money time for me

Other one is the parry/scoop to whatever, be a dump or combination. I like catching it with my rear, then pushing it to the side while throwing switch kick, 2,3

Then the other solution is you need to bang harder so they cant penetrate you

I like to fake them out and jam distance and let my hands go. If they're traditional , its money time for me

Other one is the parry/scoop to whatever, be a dump or combination. I like catching it with my rear, then pushing it to the side while throwing switch kick, 2,3

Then the other solution is you need to bang harder so they cant penetrate you

So Bang as hard as i can so my partners cant penetrate me? got it.

Now if i get successfully teeped by a manlet (though i according to you am one) should i kill myself during or after practice??
<VinceShock>

So Bang as hard as i can so my partners cant penetrate me? got it.

Now if i get successfully teeped by a manlet (though i according to you am one) should i kill myself during or after practice??
<VinceShock>
Yes, but you have to go on a pigeon only diet and stalk baristas

@Pugilistic

Said you were from Ottawa and digging MT, so I thought that was your camp. Nevermind

OH gottcha westside muay thai in ottawa. Im in ontario but iv been to a few gyms. Pure MT was the first gym i went to so i definitely have a passion for it beyond anything else but iv trained at Lin mma and Bazooka kickboxing before finally moving to a permanent house. Now i train up in Keswick. The more north the harder i find it to find a legit gym but im happy here so hopefully ill be able to start competing with this gym

OH gottcha westside muay thai in ottawa. Im in ontario but iv been to a few gyms. Pure MT was the first gym i went to so i definitely have a passion for it beyond anything else but iv trained at Lin mma and Bazooka kickboxing before finally moving to a permanent house. Now i train up in Keswick. The more north the harder i find it to find a legit gym but im happy here so hopefully ill be able to start competing with this gym
Its the country up there so there's not too much going on. City will always have more talent due to populace.

You trained at Bazooka's? Good camp, they just bang though unless you part of their inner circle. Heard good things about Lin's but they cost an arm and a leg.

Its the country up there so there's not too much going on. City will always have more talent due to populace.

You trained at Bazooka's? Good camp, they just bang though unless you part of their inner circle. Heard good things about Lin's but they cost an arm and a leg.

Oh yeah wanting to compete and being a Canadian living north sucks haha but its the hustle. If you want it you find a way. Im use to driving an hour one way to go to a decent gym. Lins was expensive and primarily bjj so when i found out master Lin actually comes to my current gym to teach bjj i was pretty happy. Bazooka was good as well but like you said theres an inner circle and when you have 20+ students in a class ots hard to get in it. My current gym has max 20 in a class usually closer to 10. I think iv found a good gym doesnt have the meathead vibe and i love hearing old team tompkins stories from my coach.

Ever heard of Legends mma in Brampton?

Oh yeah wanting to compete and being a Canadian living north sucks haha but its the hustle. If you want it you find a way. Im use to driving an hour one way to go to a decent gym. Lins was expensive and primarily bjj so when i found out master Lin actually comes to my current gym to teach bjj i was pretty happy. Bazooka was good as well but like you said theres an inner circle and when you have 20+ students in a class ots hard to get in it. My current gym has max 20 in a class usually closer to 10. I think iv found a good gym doesnt have the meathead vibe and i love hearing old team tompkins stories from my coach.

Ever heard of Legends mma in Brampton?
Sounds like my teammate, he lives more up past vaughn, and takes him 1.5h to get here, does that on the daily.

Ontario is actually the worse province to be in as a competitor, so much bans and regulations for "safety" kills everything. BC's pretty good actually. Wanna be pro in Ont? Can't make your pro debut here.

Alberta used to be okay, but they decided to ban everything after. I swear Canadian culture sucks sometimes, it all goes back to being so afraid of lawshuits they do whatever they can to make sure they're never put in that position in the first place. In 'merica, at one of my teammate's fight, the they asked people from the crowd to compete against the fighters if they wanted. Shit like that would never fly here. Then again the venue was kinda shady now that I think about it.

MTO now allows pros to compete against ammys, but they do everything to keep it fairly matched. Though with the plague that is known as sandbagging in this community, I'm still suspicious. Its the open class guys who are pretty much pro, that they face. A few months back a cat who got flagged for USADA-like offenses ended up facing an ammy at a tourney.

I've heard the name, but actually don't know of Legends MMA. I don't know much about the scene in Brampton. Only Brampton moo thigh is the only name I've seen.

Sounds like my teammate, he lives more up past vaughn, and takes him 1.5h to get here, does that on the daily.

Ontario is actually the worse province to be in as a competitor, so much bans and regulations for "safety" kills everything. BC's pretty good actually. Wanna be pro in Ont? Can't make your pro debut here.

Alberta used to be okay, but they decided to ban everything after. I swear Canadian culture sucks sometimes, it all goes back to being so afraid of lawshuits they do whatever they can to make sure they're never put in that position in the first place. In 'merica, at one of my teammate's fight, the they asked people from the crowd to compete against the fighters if they wanted. Shit like that would never fly here. Then again the venue was kinda shady now that I think about it.

MTO now allows pros to compete against ammys, but they do everything to keep it fairly matched. Though with the plague that is known as sandbagging in this community, I'm still suspicious. Its the open class guys who are pretty much pro, that they face. A few months back a cat who got flagged for USADA-like offenses ended up facing an ammy at a tourney.

I've heard the name, but actually don't know of Legends MMA. I don't know much about the scene in Brampton. Only Brampton moo thigh is the only name I've seen.

oh yes the "safety" of combat sports...ontario why. The pro debut thing is a killer too but i know Bazooka travels to buffalo for majority of their fights so thats an option too in regards to short travel.

Canadian culture: youre either a teenage streetfighter, sport kid or druggie. i blame the snow and lack of shit to do haha

It was a pretty decent place technically and the coaches were past champs. they even went to thailand once a year. For some reason i seem to always find a gym that has lineage to master Toddy. anyhow, Bangbro breeding ground. To start they had belts for their muay thai system which is w.e but to gain a belt level you had to go one or two threes with one of their fighters. saw an Olympic boxer piece up some Indian kid there to lose a few pounds, sad to see shit like that. Even worse i would see it often since they had "open sparring" every Wednesday...hobbyist, ammy, pro, literally like 8 years old, all thrown together unless you had a fight coming up in which you just bang in the ring they have. The fight team does well in competition but iv seen footage and its a lot of swangin pressure. Had a pair of brothers put a target on me too, id spar the younger brother ( 6'4 195 lanky) im 5'11(1/2) 185 but he was a pure boxer so leg kick city. AS SOON as the round was done his older brother (6'5 200 lanky af) would come up to me and ask to help him work on his muay thai...then proceed to try to box my head off with the coaching of his brother from the sidelines. Only found this out as i over heard about them being brothers and would hear the other brothers commands as we would spar. you were told to go as hard as you want and those brothers and i have definitely got into some heated bouts this went one from my first to last sparring session there (kinda like the fact they needed each other to figure me out). Anyway i moved houses and gyms to Bazooka after that

oh yes the "safety" of combat sports...ontario why. The pro debut thing is a killer too but i know Bazooka travels to buffalo for majority of their fights so thats an option too in regards to short travel.

Canadian culture: youre either a teenage streetfighter, sport kid or druggie. i blame the snow and lack of shit to do haha

It was a pretty decent place technically and the coaches were past champs. they even went to thailand once a year. For some reason i seem to always find a gym that has lineage to master Toddy. anyhow, Bangbro breeding ground. To start they had belts for their muay thai system which is w.e but to gain a belt level you had to go one or two threes with one of their fighters. saw an Olympic boxer piece up some Indian kid there to lose a few pounds, sad to see shit like that. Even worse i would see it often since they had "open sparring" every Wednesday...hobbyist, ammy, pro, literally like 8 years old, all thrown together unless you had a fight coming up in which you just bang in the ring they have. The fight team does well in competition but iv seen footage and its a lot of swangin pressure. Had a pair of brothers put a target on me too, id spar the younger brother ( 6'4 195 lanky) im 5'11(1/2) 185 but he was a pure boxer so leg kick city. AS SOON as the round was done his older brother (6'5 200 lanky af) would come up to me and ask to help him work on his muay thai...then proceed to try to box my head off with the coaching of his brother from the sidelines. Only found this out as i over heard about them being brothers and would hear the other brothers commands as we would spar. you were told to go as hard as you want and those brothers and i have definitely got into some heated bouts this went one from my first to last sparring session there (kinda like the fact they needed each other to figure me out). Anyway i moved houses and gyms to Bazooka after that
Damn those cats just bang. Pretty common at MMA gyms actually. The ones I know around here are for the most part kinda like that

So you weren't there long? Hey if he wants to box you, it works in your favor. Clinch rape and long knee city all day. If they wanna get embarrassed by a manlet who's a weight class or 2 lower, thats their problem.

lol, you moved from bang bros to bang camp

Damn those cats just bang. Pretty common at MMA gyms actually. The ones I know around here are for the most part kinda like that

So you weren't there long? Hey if he wants to box you, it works in your favor. Clinch rape and long knee city all day. If they wanna get embarrassed by a manlet who's a weight class or 2 lower, thats their problem.

lol, you moved from bang bros to bang camp

Oddly enough i think the "MMA" in the name was marketing. they had one mma guy (1-1). it was mainly grappling guys and strikers just under one roof ya know? it was even oddly cliquey. i was there for about 4-5 months training twice a day at the gym. Yeah i never got why the boxer would ask to work on muay thai then proceed to only try to box but i boiled it down to bang bro mentality and him thinking his boxing was better than my manlet muay thai. haha I left the pure thai gym because my Kru would get angry i was not just walking down my opponent and blocking shit, i always tried to use footwork and head movement over blocks.

Gym Evolution:
1. walk em down and bang nak muays
2.Just grapple em bros
3.Bang bros
4. Bang camp
5. Lets teach you distancing and you cant spar unless coaches think youre ready to do so effectively. Also manlet coach

Ronin status for ya, eh?

Back