Teen shot in "no lacking challenge"

The posters who are arguing with you are doing so while knowing exactly what you mean. The video can be far more precisely categorized as "black inner city culture", "hood culture", "ghetto culture",or any other number of well known terms to describe a well known American sub-culture.

"Gun culture", as it's popularly known, and in so far as the term is popularly used, can be accurately described as almost exclusively white, rural/suburban, conservative and/or Christian.

These posters are obviously aware of this, as it's quite common knowledge. They're purposefully obfuscating the two cultures so that they can dishonestly conflate them to bolster whatever anti-gun sentiments they hold.

Horseshit. I don't hold any "anti-gun" sentiments. American gun culture is just that. Just because white, rural/suburban, conservatives have incorporated gun ownership into their identity politics doesn't mean they represent the totality of US gun culture. America's gun culture (in contrast to every other developed nation) is almost unique in the developed world due to the fact that it's largely defined by the ease of access to firearms and their use for common self-defence (both factors in this situation).
That includes, but certainly isn't restricted to, criminal subcultures as well as any dumb arse that wants to have one with zero investment in training and no association with responsible owners.
A similar argument could be made about American motorcycle culture, the lack of requirement for helmets in so many states, and the fact that around 40% of your fatal motorcycle accidents involve riders without helmets.

Horseshit. I don't hold any "anti-gun" sentiments. American gun culture is just that. Just because white, rural/suburban, conservatives have incorporated gun ownership into their identity politics doesn't mean they represent the totality of US gun culture. America's gun culture (in contrast to every other developed nation) is almost unique in the developed world due to the fact that it's largely defined by the ease of access to firearms and their use for common self-defence.
That includes, but certainly isn't restricted to, criminal subcultures as well as any dumb arse that wants to have one with zero investment in training and no association with responsible owners.
A similar argument could be made about American motorcycle culture, the lack of requirement for helmets in so many states, and the fact that around 40% of your fatal motorcycle accidents involve riders without helmets.

Ok, fine, perhaps your purposeful obfuscation and conflation was not motivated by anti-gun sentiments. It doesn't matter whether white, rural/suburban conservatives have co-opted the identity or not, it's used just as much, if not more frequently as a snarling condemnation by the left. Again, for the obvious and well known reason that the classification of "gun culture" that I've detailed here is the one in popular usage, not criminal gang activity in inner cities.

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong, you simply either don't understand what is generally meant by the term "gun culture", or as I suspect it's a purposeful ignorance. It matters not if you don't think the term is being logically or literally applied, you are simply wrong about it's usage. There is really nothing further to discuss about it, you can either continue to improperly use and understand the term, or admit you are wrong and adjust your usage.

I'd also add that Rip and the people on his side seem to be disassociating black American gun culture from white American gun culture to bolster whatever anti-black sentiments they hold.

See post #122

Ok, fine, perhaps your purposeful obfuscation and conflation was not motivated by anti-gun sentiments. It doesn't matter whether white, rural/suburban conservatives have co-opted the identity or not, it's used just as much, if not more frequently as a snarling condemnation by the left. Again, for the obvious and well known reason that the classification of "gun culture" that I've detailed here is the one in popular usage, not criminal gang activity in inner cities.

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong, you simply either don't understand what is generally meant by the term "gun culture", or as I suspect it's a purposeful ignorance. It matters not if you don't think the term is being logically or literally applied, you are simply wrong about it's usage. There is really nothing further to discuss about it, you can either continue to improperly use and understand the term, or admit you are wrong and adjust your usage.

It's pretty simple, I'm using "gun culture" in the international sense rather than the typical use in an American political context. Because I'm not American...
In exactly the same way that American Motorcycle Culture doesn't just mean overweight, under performing men dressed like pirates on overweight, under performing motorcycles.
To the rest of the world, "American Gun Culture" isn't mainly referring to your conservative identity politics, sports shooting, hunting or use in primary production. It's a reference to your enshrined right to firearms for common self-defence, the ease of access and proliferation that entails, and all the school/spree-shooting, gang-banging and militarisation of the police that results from it.

I'd also add that Rip and the people on his side seem to be disassociating black American gun culture from white American gun culture to bolster whatever anti-black sentiments they hold.

<JagsKiddingMe>

Black American gun culture? The black people that I've seen at the range don't act like these idiots.

I don't have anti-black sentiments. I've got anti hoodlife sentiments.

Gun culture is used to describe second amendment right to carry NRA card carrying gun collectors. Not sure the video Shows that type of individual.

The problem in that video is not the guns(probably illegal) its the fact that the people carrying them probably grew up with no male father figure, a media that told them they'd never amount to anything because everyone is against them and a war on drugs that made the drug dealers the real figures young black men look up to since they essentially run the streets.

You don't think the distinction is valid?

One is generally law abiding with an occasional mass shooting, the other consistently upholds 3rd world country murder rates. I may be wrong, but I think the gun cultures differ.

Damn I never heard of this. I just checked out a video and they all are doing this with the finger on the trigger.

American gun culture...

Sorry but this is a very disingenuous statement. This is Hood or Gang culture and should be separated from NRA style gun culture. Some may be a little over the top, but at least classes are provided and they teach safety.

I grew up in an area where a lot of people own firearms, because they hunt or like to have them for sport as there are a lot of woods around to shoot. I was also in the National Guard for 6 years and was around a lot of right wing gun-toters.

Nobody I've known from this culture has ever been carelessly or illegally shot. I don't own guns, because I live in a safe area and don't care for hunting, but I've been around them my whole life and this culture always teaches to...

Never touch anybody else's guns without permission.
They are to remained locked up when not in use.
Loaded or unloaded never point a firearm at a person.
Don't bring the guns out to play with when you're drunk.

Here are the crime stats from my area as well, you can see there are very few murders...

EF6Yak6.png

Sorry but this is a very disingenuous statement. This is Hood or Gang culture and should be separated from NRA style gun culture. Some may be a little over the top, but at least classes are provided and they teach safety.

I grew up in an area where a lot of people own firearms, because they hunt or like to have them for sport as there are a lot of woods around to shoot. I was also in the National Guard for 6 years and was around a lot of right wing gun-toters.

Nobody I've known from this culture has ever been carelessly or illegally shot. I don't own guns, because I live in a safe area and don't care for hunting, but I've been around them my whole life and this culture always teaches to...

Never touch anybody else's guns without permission.
They are to remained locked up when not in use.
Loaded or unloaded never point a firearm at a person.
Don't bring the guns out to play with when you're drunk.

Here are the crime stats from my area as well, you can see there are very few murders...

EF6Yak6.png

It's not remotely disingenuous. I'm not American. This is directly the result of the American culture of firearms for common self-defence and the ease of access and proliferation that creates. That is what the rest of world means by "American gun culture". We couldn't care less about your use of firearms as fetish objects for conservative identity politics, or whether you identify with "Hood" or "Gang" culture as fellow Americans.

It's not remotely disingenuous. I'm not American. This is directly the result of the American culture of firearms for common self-defence and the ease of access and proliferation that creates. That is what the rest of world means by "American gun culture". We couldn't care less about your use of firearms as fetish objects for conservative identity politics, or whether you identify with "Hood" or "Gang" culture as fellow Americans.

giphy.gif

The United States is a very big and very diverse place that houses many different cultures. There is definitely a difference in culture between a person who grew up dear hunting that has taken safety classes vs somebody that carries an unregistered hand gun around them because they're in a street gang.

Should I generalize the following picture as European sports culture, because this took place at a Ukrainian League Championship soccer match?

image.jpg

> "I'm not American"

That's abundantly obvious based on your absurd perspective on OUR gun culture.

giphy.gif

The United States is a very big and very diverse place that houses many different cultures. There is definitely a difference in culture between a person who grew up dear hunting that has taken safety classes vs somebody that carries an unregistered hand gun around them because they're in a street gang.

Should I generalize the following picture as European sports culture, because this took place at a Ukrainian League Championship soccer match?

image.jpg

> "I'm not American"

That's abundantly obvious based on your absurd perspective on OUR gun culture.

The difference is that this specific event does in fact result from an element which is common to American gun culture and even enshrined in national law. The use of firearms for common self-defence.
By all means try and explain how that isn't an identifying aspect of the American gun culture.

giphy.gif

image.jpg

Don't even try. When he thinks he's right it's ball game.

Him lumping these thugs into the "gun" culture is the equivalent of someone lumping them into "black" culture. But one should not do that because it would be wrong to take a tiny minority of wrongdoers and lump them into a larger group of law abiding citizens

He doesn't care though. Because everything is political to him. And scoring cheap points in the war room is second nature to some

The difference is that this specific event does in fact result from an element which is common to American gun culture and enshrined in national law. The use of firearms for common self-defence.
By all means try and explain how that isn't an identifying aspect of the American gun culture.

Guns are an accessible item in The US and not all cultures use them the same.

Hood/Gang culture gain them illegally and use them to glorify violence and kill each other.
Game hunters acquire guns legally and use them to kill their prey.
Competition shooters aquire them legally and use them for target shooting
A right wing terrorist groups will hoard them in regards to their fucked up cause.
Family men will buy a pistol to protect their family in case of an intruder, but never use it otherwise.
A Truck driver may have a permit to carry for protection while on the road.
A crazy suburban teenager may steal one from his Dad's gun safe and shoot up a school.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, because imo different cultures use them differently.

Last edited:
Back