Crime Teen misses the bus, asks for directions, and gets shot at.

It's much easier to believe that he is a burglar that got shot at than a guy decided to start shooting a black kid for showing up at his door. Without footage we can't really know the story.

But there is footage. How is it easier to believe he's a burglar when the story makes clear that there was footage from the door. That information is in the OP.

It's easier for you to assume criminal intent than read the written word, lol?

It's fucking April. Unless the kid is blind or special needs, pretty sure he should know the way to school that is apparently within walking distance by the end of a school year. Have you ever in your life rung a random doorbell to ask directions?
He's a freshman, as in he hasn't completed a year at the high school. Maybe watch the video before jumping to conclusions.

But there is footage. How is it easier to believe he's a burglar when the story makes clear that there was footage from the door. That information is in the OP.

It's easier for you to assume criminal intent than read the written word, lol?
I haven't seen any video of it posted. Either way, my comment was in response to someone asking how they can just assume he was a burglar, and I replied in another post that it is way more likely that someone would be a burglar than just shot at for being knocking on a door.

I haven't seen any video of it posted. Either way, my comment was in response to someone asking how they can just assume he was a burglar, and I replied in another post that it is way more likely that someone would be a burglar than just shot at for being knocking on a door.

It's written in the OP that the police watched the video and then arrested the home owner. You didn't need to see video of it posted, just read.

Surprised at some of the responses here...

even if I lived in Compton, or the shittiest areas of Gary, Indiana, my first reaction isn't to unload on someone at my door.

Something is weird about this story. Why did the kid need directions to his school? He doesn't know where he goes to school?
He takes the bus so when he's on the way to school he's probably talking to his friends instead of focusing on the route. If you watched the video it says that he was confident at first he could find the school but got lost on the way.
Come on, look at the fucking story. "Where is my school?"

<{MingNope}>

you guys will believe anything.
And some of you will try to invent any reason to suspect blacks of criminal intent
Sure, cause there weren't smart phones and online directions and you were looking for public transport routes whereas this kid was in walking distance. Story said his dad is deployed, so there goes the new school theory.
He's a freshman, its very believable that he wouldn't know the route by foot.

Also, 14 year old boys aren't known for the best decision making skills.
It won't end well for the guy because you can't just shoot at burglars, but let's be clear, that is what the kid was doing.
You really think he was trying to rob the house? You're that certain?

Last edited:
It's written in the OP that the police watched the video and then arrested the home owner. You didn't need to see video of it posted, just read.
But was he arrested for shooting at a burglar or shooting at a kid at his doorstep? And either way, why not post the video?

He takes the bus so when he's on the way to school he's probably talking to his friends instead of focusing on the route. If you watched the video it says that he was confident at first he could find the school but got lost on the way.

And some of you will try to invest any reason to suspect blacks of criminal intent

He's a freshman, its very believable that he wouldn't know the route by foot.

Also, 14 year old boys aren't known for the best decision making skills.

You really think he was trying to rob the house? You're that certain?

Threads like these highlights the shitty posters in the War Room that can't apply their cognitive thinking skills towards anything (in this case, reading/watching the video in the OP), or even show a grain of empathy to a fourteen year old kid.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if these are the same people that think poor people are poor cause they're lazy, and that there should not be any form of universal health care.

Just notice the most racist posters here and their responses and then notice the people who "liked" their posts.

They're so fucking transparent it isn't even funny.

How about we use statistics?

Murder rate in Michigan: 5.1 per 100K people in 2016 (or 0.005%)
Burglary rate in Michigan: 398.5 per 100K people (or 0.04%)

Buglary is 80x more prevalent than murder (and that isn't accounting for just random murders)

On top of that, other things had to have been extremely unlikely for this to not have occurred:
Chance he missed his bus to school (lets say it's 10%)
Chance a kid his age didn't have a phone to look up directions (10%)
Chance he ran into a murderer in Michigan (0.005%)
Could factor in other chances like the fact that he actually didn't know the way to school, the fact that he just decided to go to school anyways other than just go back home or skip out, etc.

So likelihood of this happening really goes to (with generous probabilities) 10% * 10% * 0.005% => 0.00005%
Which makes it about 8000x more unlikely than a burglary.

Which is why I would rather look at the actual footage than believe some potentially made-up story.
Jesus Christ you can make an infinitesimal probability out of anything retrospectively. 5% of women are killed by ex husbands, 10% of the population is black, 0.001% of the ppopulation of the US has played in the NFL therefore the chances are 1 in 3 million that OJ did it.

Threads like these highlights the shitty posters in the War Room that can't apply their cognitive thinking skills towards anything (in this case, reading/watching the video in the OP), or even show a grain of empathy to a fourteen year old kid.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if these are the same people that think poor people are poor cause they're lazy, and that there should not be any form of universal health care.
With a story like this you can sift between the right wingers who have a reasonable level of skepticism towards racial shooting stories and the ones who are all too quick to assume black criminality. The former can see the gun owner was in the wrong here and the latter are jumping through hoops to paint this boy as a burglar.

That's a bit presumptive, without knowing where the kid lives or where the school is. If it's one of those neighborhood schools that's a bit off the main road, it could be within walking distance (and what's walking distance? 3 miles? 5?) but not easily noticed.

As for ringing doorbells for directions, when we were kids my parents would do it if we were in a neighborhood we didn't know. Which happened frequently enough since my mom liked driving through neighborhoods for lawn ideas. I've done it but, with my cell phone, it's less necessary than before.
the story at least said it was 4 miles away. That's a long ass walk. Almost no one in America walks 4 miles as a commute.

Jesus Christ you can make an infinitesimal probability out of anything retrospectively. 5% of women are killed by ex husbands, 10% of the population is black, 0.001% of the ppopulation of the US has played in the NFL therefore the chances are 1 in 3 million that OJ did it.

Except I'm observing the probabilities related to the event, not random ones that are irrelevant.

Not necessarily because the implication is that the WIFE was profiling. The husband didn't answer the door, the wife did and she starts screaming that the kid was trying to break-in. Husband hears the screaming and grabs the gun based on the assumption that his wife made. Now if a 14 year old white boy was at her door, would she have immediately assumed that it was a burglary attempt? We'll never know for sure but we all know what the likely answer to that question is.
No, we don't. You know what you're demonstrating by presumption, there?

Prejudice.

These people are hysterical people.

But was he arrested for shooting at a burglar or shooting at a kid at his doorstep? And either way, why not post the video?

Because the police haven't released it to the public...

Except I'm observing the probabilities related to the event, not random ones that are irrelevant.
And I'm exaggerating for effect. The fact of the matter is that strewn together probabilities are bad evidence because they are always minor when framed certain ways, viewed through the scope of a single event.

If you tell me that Fred's chances of being killed by a foul ball at a baseball game before he gets there are 1/10,000,000, that's both reasonable and reassuring.

If Fred is dead at a baseball game with a baseball embedded in his head right after foul ball and you tell me the chances are still 1/10,000,000 that he's been killed by a foul ball, then you're doing it wrong.

Back