Crime Teen misses the bus, asks for directions, and gets shot at.

Wtf is wrong with some of you posters? Do you live in such a state of perpetual fear, that you think anyone you don’t know knocking on your door is there to harm you? It is pathetic.

Extreme paranoia, especially of dark skin, is a common trait amongst gun nuts so I'm not really surprised.

It won't end well for the guy because you can't just shoot at burglars, but let's be clear, that is what the kid was doing.
Your evidence of him being a burglar is what exactly?

It's much easier to believe that he is a burglar that got shot at than a guy decided to start shooting a black kid for showing up at his door. Without footage we can't really know the story.
No, actually it's not easier to believe. It is very believable that a moron from the neighborhood watch would shoot at black people knocking on his door.

Ok so your proof he wanted to burglarize them is because you saw other news media that was favorable towards the plight of African Americans facing unfair racial profiling?

{<huh}
You have to put on the hatchet's goggles of stupidity. -8 intelligence + 10 conspiracy vision.

It's much easier to believe that he is a burglar that got shot at than a guy decided to start shooting a black kid for showing up at his door. Without footage we can't really know the story.

No, its not because the police saw the video and they arrested the shooter. If there was any evidence at all that the kid was a burglar, he would not have been arrested.

There have been all sorts of cases where people have shot at a black person that showed up at their door or near their house. Chad Copley was sentenced to life in prison recently for doing exactly that (and he was also a part of the neighborhood watch..sensing a trend here)

Lol i never said anything about race. I couldnt care less what color this kid is. Hes 14 and doesnt know the way to school. Bad parenting.
Better shoot him - just to be safe.

Better shoot him - just to be safe.
Lol i never said anything about that portion of the story. Dont be putting words in my mouth. Shooting at him was a bad choice on the option list.

No, actually it's not easier to believe. It is very believable that a moron from the neighborhood watch would shoot at black people knocking on his door.
How about we use statistics?

Murder rate in Michigan: 5.1 per 100K people in 2016 (or 0.005%)
Burglary rate in Michigan: 398.5 per 100K people (or 0.04%)

Buglary is 80x more prevalent than murder (and that isn't accounting for just random murders)

On top of that, other things had to have been extremely unlikely for this to not have occurred:
Chance he missed his bus to school (lets say it's 10%)
Chance a kid his age didn't have a phone to look up directions (10%)
Chance he ran into a murderer in Michigan (0.005%)
Could factor in other chances like the fact that he actually didn't know the way to school, the fact that he just decided to go to school anyways other than just go back home or skip out, etc.

So likelihood of this happening really goes to (with generous probabilities) 10% * 10% * 0.005% => 0.00005%
Which makes it about 8000x more unlikely than a burglary.

Which is why I would rather look at the actual footage than believe some potentially made-up story.

No, its not because the police saw the video and they arrested the shooter. If there was any evidence at all that the kid was a burglar, he would not have been arrested.

There have been all sorts of cases where people have shot at a black person that showed up at their door or near their house. Chad Copley was sentenced to life in prison recently for doing exactly that (and he was also a part of the neighborhood watch..sensing a trend here)
If the video did show that it was literally as the kid described, he showed up at the door and the guy shot at him, then yeah this is case closed and good riddance. Why not post the video?

What race baiting? The article clearly said the woman was black and the shooter was white. The only thing the story is about is a trigger happy psycho.

The article does not say that the woman was black. Re-read it.

I assume you are referring to this sentence:

The woman who opened the door after Brennan Walker, who is black, knocked on it, started yelling at him.

"who is black" in this sentence is referring to Brennan Walker who is the kid that knocked on the door.

It looks pretty horrific, but why would a 14 year old knock on a random door to ask elderly strangers directions to his own school? Does that part make sense to anyone?

We have to assume he wasn't at school when he was supposed to be, didn't know how to get to the place he's gone every day all year, didn't have a phone with GPS like everyone else, didn't get directions before he left, and started going door to door for directions because he figured a random old couple would know better than him how to get to his school.

Fucked up situation aside

Very valide points

Rochester Hills is a labyrinth of cul-de-sacs. A 14 year old kid getting lost while trying to remember his bus route on foot doesn't surprise me, and if you knew what you were talking about (which you don't) it wouldn't surprise you either.

And if the races were reversed and a black home-owner shot at a 14 year old white kid who just wanted directions to school, how many of you would be defending the shooter? I'm guessing...none.
Imo the races of the people involved has no relevance.

If the story is legit as was told by the media, the old couple are extremely jumpy.

But the fact is that black people get profiled because black people commit a disproportionate amount of murders in the US. Is it racism or is it people simply playing the stats?

And the conclusion that I am being implicitly steered to reach by the MSM has already imploded.

Not necessarily because the implication is that the WIFE was profiling. The husband didn't answer the door, the wife did and she starts screaming that the kid was trying to break-in. Husband hears the screaming and grabs the gun based on the assumption that his wife made. Now if a 14 year old white boy was at her door, would she have immediately assumed that it was a burglary attempt? We'll never know for sure but we all know what the likely answer to that question is.

It's fucking April. Unless the kid is blind or special needs, pretty sure he should know the way to school that is apparently within walking distance by the end of a school year. Have you ever in your life rung a random doorbell to ask directions?

That's a bit presumptive, without knowing where the kid lives or where the school is. If it's one of those neighborhood schools that's a bit off the main road, it could be within walking distance (and what's walking distance? 3 miles? 5?) but not easily noticed.

As for ringing doorbells for directions, when we were kids my parents would do it if we were in a neighborhood we didn't know. Which happened frequently enough since my mom liked driving through neighborhoods for lawn ideas. I've done it but, with my cell phone, it's less necessary than before.

I'm not evening bringing the race element into my argument here. I think at minimum what can be gathered from that story is the home owner overreacted and tried to kill someone. You can complain about how the story is spinning it into a narrative but don't then go full blown in defense of someone just to play counter narrative. That's just as stupid, especially when the specific circumstance doesn't align with it.

Ive had to go to multiple doors once because the tire came off my car and my phone died. Took three houses until someone would let me use their phone but I never for once thought I had the chance of being shot and I grew up in the middle of the woods where I assume most houses do have a gun.

Back