Teddy Atlas on Joe Rogan's podcast

I was around when tyson was in his first incarnation. It's simply not true that his opponents just quit. Tony tucker didnt. Holmes gave him a tough first few rounds until tyson came through. His ruddock fight too. Agree he couldnt stomach resistance post jail but the idea that all you had to do to beat tyson was not be scared is daft

His boxing stuff was fun to listen to.

Then he started rambling about dad stories and he lost me completely.

Came across as a very sad person towards the end.

Never understood the love Tyson gets from the general public.
He is a convicted rapist and bit someone's ear off in the ring.

So Mike Tyson is really 0-5 if it comes to "real fights". I wonder what Pacquiao and Floyd's record in real fights according to this brofessor.

Though what he said was bs, you clearly weren’t paying attention. He was alluding to Mike’s lack of heart.

His boxing stuff was fun to listen to.

Then he started rambling about dad stories and he lost me completely.

Came across as a very sad person towards the end.

The dad stories were almost half of the podcast. Rambled on too long. Would’ve enjoyed it more if he had stuck to boxing stories—those were good.

I was around when tyson was in his first incarnation. It's simply not true that his opponents just quit. Tony tucker didnt. Holmes gave him a tough first few rounds until tyson came through. His ruddock fight too. Agree he couldnt stomach resistance post jail but the idea that all you had to do to beat tyson was not be scared is daft

Though what he said was bs, you clearly weren’t paying attention. He was alluding to Mike’s lack of heart.

"Lack of heart" is relative. When I heard Atlas say that term, I immediately think about Tyson taking loads of punishment from Lennox Lewis and still fighting back/attempting to fight back. His first title defense was against a guy who decisioned him, his first fight that went 12 rounds-that took heart, as well as stamina.

Was he capable of the Chico Corrales comeback against Jose Luis Castillo in their first fight? Maybe not, but only a few are. He was also talking about Mike Tyson hiding from guys in the ghetto when he was little, maybe against kids with knives and guns. That was just a nonsense relationship to boxing. It's an unrealistic standard Atlas was comparing Tyson to.

tuco1808 did a better job explaining this than I did.

edit- by Teddy's definition Wlad K. must be 0-4 in "real fights".

"Lack of heart" is relative. When I heard Atlas say that term, I immediately think about Tyson taking loads of punishment from Lennox Lewis and still fighting back/attempting to fight back. His first title defense was against a guy who decisioned him, his first fight that went 12 rounds-that took heart, as well as stamina.

Was he capable of the Chico Corrales comeback against Jose Luis Castillo in their first fight? Maybe not, but only a few are. He was also talking about Mike Tyson hiding from guys in the ghetto when he was little, maybe against kids with knives and guns. That was just a nonsense relationship to boxing. It's an unrealistic standard Atlas was comparing Tyson to.

tuco1808 did a better job explaining this than I did.

I don’t question what you just said. I was just questioning the Floyd and Manny comparison, because it had nothing to do with what Teddy was saying.

This talk of Tyson being a bully in the ring is overplayed. Speed scares people more than power because you can't stop it. Prime Tyson had speed in spades and enough power that you are going to take a few if you engage. Lennox was roughed up by a Tyson on the down slope. Without the speed and conditioning when he was younger, you have a short, undersized, guy who want to brawl and has suspect endurance.

If I remember correctly, Atlas has spent a lot of time talking down the accomplishments of the Klitschkos (as well as Donaire). Dude's a total tool.

A while back, somebody on here (think it was @nac386 ) basically said that Atlas is your generic Staten Island wannabe tough guy, and I honestly completely agree.

Atlas realized his worth was as a boxing commentator and not as a trainer. He knows he is full of shit but being full of shit pays his mortgage. He knows he is not a legendary trainer.
I think he can be a good cornerman, he was pretty good when he worked with Bradley and that firemen speech was great.
Yes, he overplays the Tyson was a bully thing, that's not true when he was in his prime. You could say that a lot of that was thanks to Rooney who was able to have him stick to a gameplan even when he was getting a bit frustrated, I think that's one of the main reasons why no loger working with him had such a big impact on Mike.

This talk of Tyson being a bully in the ring is overplayed. Speed scares people more than power because you can't stop it. Prime Tyson had speed in spades and enough power that you are going to take a few if you engage. Lennox was roughed up by a Tyson on the down slope. Without the speed and conditioning when he was younger, you have a short, undersized, guy who want to brawl and has suspect endurance.
are-you-blind-1sx60k.jpg
Lennox beat the piss out of Tyson, what are you talking about?

haha, atlas and rogan in the same room, talking. Why would you even do that to yourself? It's like some black guy with a huge penis comes and hits you in the forehead with it and you say, WAIT UP DUDE, I need another one on the other side to even shit up.

Avoid, avoid, avoid

man i cant stand listening to atlas on broadcasts, no way i could actually listen to him on a podcast. when people wonder why younger kids dont gravitate towards boxing, he is a prime example why

I know I'm probably alone on this. But I fucking love teddy and he enshrines good old murican enthusiasm to me.

Best Olympic commentator there is.

It's hard for TV personalities who are hired as sports commentators to explain "their" sport to a novice audience without talking down to the audience or treating the TV audience like kindergartners.

Teddy has the right mixture of enthusiasm, knowledge, and how-to-explain his sport out of anyone within NBC's Olympic telecast.

Teddy Atlas is living off of Tyson name and fame, he's a loud mouth buffoon, who's days are done as a trainer and now just talks nonsense and is to old to care anymore about what he says.

Teddy is salty because he knows what fighters go through. And he knows what goes on behind the scenes and how corrupt or inept the judges are. How can three professional judges watch the same fight and have such wild variations on their cards? Happens all the time. Winners get ripped off.

man i cant stand listening to atlas on broadcasts, no way i could actually listen to him on a podcast. when people wonder why younger kids dont gravitate towards boxing, he is a prime example why

I'm convinced he's trying to get revenge on a sport he thinks did him dirty. It's unfortunate that one of the loudest voices in boxing is just a complete fucking asshole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back