technique over power.

When people revert back to their bad habits in their fights, it means the technique was drilled enough, and it wasn't drilled enough in a live environment. Its a reason why it is key that the most simple and rudimentary techniques and tactics get ingrained in the short time the camp lasts for.

There just isn't enough time to cover the myriad volume to techniques in the short amount of 8-12 weeks, even then its really 7-11 weeks because by cut week you're done, there's no improving on there, its just water manipulation week.

Foreman threw them early in the fight against Ali. He liked mixing in layman shots to take advantage of his big arms. I'm guessing thats why. Just throw the kitchen sink at him.

Foreman threw them early in the fight against Ali. He liked mixing in layman shots to take advantage of his big arms. I'm guessing thats why. Just throw the kitchen sink at him.
I'll have to rewatch it, but are you sure you're not confusing overhands for "looping punches". Its a big misconception with technical purists that overhands and hockey style punches are "un-technical", when in fact it does get very technical in the delivery.

eg. Fedor rolling off his opponent's cross, using the roll to load up and plow them with his overhand. Then committing into it makes it even more damaging.

I'll have to rewatch it, but are you sure you're not confusing overhands for "looping punches". Its a big misconception with technical purists that overhands and hockey style punches are "un-technical", when in fact it does get very technical in the delivery.

eg. Fedor rolling off his opponent's cross, using the roll to load up and plow them with his overhand. Then committing into it makes it even more damaging.

It's circular punches to the body in a widely exaggerated and slow motion. I don't even know what to call them in boxing terms.

You did not post any clip of Foreman or Mayweather throwing wide looping hooks.

show me a clip of the wide looping punches you mean stupid, where does foreman ever hit like that?

being slow isnt bad technique necessarily some people are born slow you idiot (you are born slow in the head for example unless you are a master troll )

I've really never seen someone throw with good technique and not have power. I think that's coming from a lazy assessment of what good technique is.

I've really never seen someone throw with good technique and not have power. I think that's coming from a lazy assessment of what good technique is.

I've found massive differences depending on my rate of adrenalin. And thats regardless of how fast they were thrown.

Foreman got a lot of KOs by hand play and superior timing/distance, and he was defensively aware. He threw a lot of flick jabs. I wouldn't call him a "brawler", he was a boxer-puncher.

giphy.gif

Could you give examples of his punches with bad technique?

^That's the hardest I've seen Mayweather on a bag. The other videos, he was going even lighter.

You could say that repetition of motion to increase the coordination required IS technique. :)[/QUOTE
true but their is nothing mystical about it. and the technique would improve through repetition with out any technical instruction. it might take a little longer though.

Not all pro boxers use correct technique. Foreman threw a lot of wide, looping punches that would make any boxing trainer cringe.[/QUOTE
foremans punching style was about power not defence. you could actually say he had better punching technique than ali if you are looking at it from a power perspective rather than a defensive one.

You can have good technique without much power, and a lot of power without good technique.

However, good technique gives you the perfect blend of power, defensive responsibility, and balance. A technically "perfect" punch may not be the most powerful punch that you can throw, but it is usually the most powerful punch you can throw while remaining balanced and capable of defending yourself.

A monster that hits hard with bad technique will usually hit even harder with good technique, and someone who doesn't have much power with perfect technique is not going to magically become a stronger puncher by abandoning that technique - they may be able to hit harder, yes, but they'll also be much easier to hit.
i was getting at the point, that the more you think about something the more uncoordinated it usually becomes. and when you try to accentuate the hip rotation it usually breaks down the natural kinetic chain and reduces power.

i was referring to several videos i have seen posted of people hitting with good form but very little force.

Good technique will equate to power when thrown with speed. Maybe some people never increase the speed of their technique while practicing? But I don't know if you can tell that from online videos because you never know if they're intentionally going slower to make sure their technique is good on the video.

Either way, it certainly does go back to training. If you never train fast, you're never going to be fast. And if you train fast and with good technique, you should always have more power than if you didn't. But that seems obvious.

Good technique will equate to power when thrown with speed. Maybe some people never increase the speed of their technique while practicing? But I don't know if you can tell that from online videos because you never know if they're intentionally going slower to make sure their technique is good on the video.

Either way, it certainly does go back to training. If you never train fast, you're never going to be fast. And if you train fast and with good technique, you should always have more power than if you didn't. But that seems obvious.

Then why wasn't Muhammed Ali a particular heavy puncher? He had both.

Back