Technically Explain Pacquiao's ''8 Division Champ'' status, isn't he officially 6?

GolovkinGOAT

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
the IBHOF does not recognize the IBO as a World Belt nor the IBC, WBF, etc... Ideally boxing purists should follow the guidelines of ''World Champion.'' The 4 main bodies have for a while been the defacto standard.

Flyweight
1998-12-04, Chatchai Sasakul

Super Bantamweight
2001-06-23, Lehlo Ledwaba

Super Featherweight
2008-03-15, Juan Manuel Marquez

Lightweight
2008-06-28, David Diaz

Welterweight (catch)
2009-11-14, Miguel Cotto

Super Welterweight (catch)
2010-11-13, Antonio Margarito

COMPARE to Hector Camacho

Super Featherweight
1983-08-07, Rafael Limon

Lightweight
1985-08-10, Jose Luis Ramirez

Super Lightweight
1989-03-06, Ray Mancini

6 titles. 4/5 lineal (depending on who you ask).

He is an eight weight champion, even if we're only counting the big four sanctioning bodies. The only weight where his belt was really bullshit was at JMW. He was lineal in four weight classes.

He is an eight weight champion, even if we're only counting the big four sanctioning bodies. The only weight where his belt was really bullshit was at JMW. He was lineal in four weight classes.

so we're all up to speed, can you name the Lineage opponents, because Wiki has the public listing 5..

what's worse is this,
  • 2011 Guinness World Records Most boxing world titles in different weight divisions (10 world titles in 8 different weight divisions)
I thought Guiness WR was the defacto for record breaking accomplishments that are FACT?

so we're all up to speed, can you name the Lineage opponents, because Wiki has the public listing 5..

what's worse is this,
  • 2011 Guinness World Records Most boxing world titles in different weight divisions (10 world titles in 8 different weight divisions)
I thought Guiness WR was the defacto for record breaking accomplishments that are FACT?

Some people think he earned his 5th lineal championship at WW when he beat Bradley in their 3rd fight (Mayweather retired, thus freeing up the belt), but I don't agree that Bradley was the #2 guy in the division at the time.

Some people think he earned his 5th lineal championship at WW when he beat Bradley in their 3rd fight (Mayweather retired, thus freeing up the belt), but I don't agree that Bradley was the #2 guy in the division at the time.

I see. did you see the note that Guinness has Pac as ''10 World Titles'' in 8 different weight divisions. How can they get that wrong?

I see. did you see the note that Guinness has Pac as ''10 World Titles'' in 8 different weight divisions. How can they get that wrong?

He probably has more if we're counting all different times he won big 4 belts.

Margarito's belt was kind of rubbish. got it by beating a guy i can't even remember

He technically didn't win Margarito's belt (Margarito was given some nonsense belt by the WBC which wasn't their real belt). Him and Margarito fought for the title which Martinez vacated when he went to MW full-time. I still look at it as a bit of a bullshit belt, though.

Because he won lineal and or Ring magazine titles at 126 and 140 pounds.

He is only a 5 division champ not 8.

He is not an official holder at 126 or 140 he only beat the top guys in the division who were the lineal champs but they didn't hold a recognized strap

IBO is garbage, they only recognize the IBF, WBA, WBO and WBC belts for undisputed or to be a legit champion.

IBO NABF those type of belts dont count

and The Ring magazine is not a sanctioned belt its just a gift of recognition the magazine gives to who they fell the man in the division is, just a recognition or sign of respect no real title.

He technically didn't win Margarito's belt (Margarito was given some nonsense belt by the WBC which wasn't their real belt). Him and Margarito fought for the title which Martinez vacated when he went to MW full-time. I still look at it as a bit of a bullshit belt, though.

Boxrec shows that they fought for the vacant World Title. I don’t think Margarito was “given” anything, it shows that he was the “International” WBC 154 strap holder before.

Anyways, wasn’t Margarito vs PAC a “150” catchweight bout? Margarito also under Top Rank was suckered for this setup by his employers.. lol.. of course Bob was reaching all possible ways to decorate Pacquiao... the in-house TR matchmaking and catchweights prove this. I think the one who felt it the worst was Cotto in the grand scheme of things.. We can see a bit of formula from Haymon as well with Champs all seeded in divisions by design and not matched up just yet.

Last edited:
Boxrec shows that they fought for the vacant World Title. I don’t think Margarito was “given” anything, it shows that he was the “International” WBC 154 strap holder before.

Anyways, wasn’t Margarito vs PAC a “150” catchweight bout? Margarito also under Top Rank was suckered for this setup by his employers.. lol.. of course Bob was reaching all possible ways to decorate Pacquiao... the in-house TR matchmaking and catchweights prove this. I think the one who felt it the worst was Cotto in the grand scheme of things.. We can see a bit of formula from Haymon as well with Champs all seeded in divisions by design and not matched up just yet.

He was given a nonsense belt after beating a nobody. Pacquiao/Margarito was still a very good fight and a good win for Pacquiao regardless of the fact that the belt he won wasn't particularly meaningful.

He is not an official holder at 126 or 140 he only beat the top guys in the division who were the lineal champs but they didn't hold a recognized strap

IBO is garbage, they only recognize the IBF, WBA, WBO and WBC belts for undisputed or to be a legit champion.

and The Ring magazine is not a sanctioned belt its just a gift of recognition the magazine gives to who they fell the man in the division is, just a recognition or sign of respect no real title.
even if you don't recognize the lineal or ring titles, Pac would still hold six titles (112, 122, 130, 135, 147, 154).

Imagine not recognizing wins over a prime Marco Antonio Barrera when he was lineal at FW and a prime Ricky Hatton when he was lineal at JWW as being worthy of being called championships.

Imagine not recognizing wins over a prime Marco Antonio Barrera when he was lineal at FW and a prime Ricky Hatton when he was lineal at JWW as being worthy of being called championships.
well you have to go by the record books, twenty years from now nobody will remember that or even 100, unless they are some super history buff like Bert Sugar was.

you must go off the record books and he never won a belt against MAB or HATTON, IBO doenst count

I believe both fighters vacated the titles before fighting Pacman.

If Pacman one the first JMM fight by 1 point he would have been an official champion at 126

at 140 if Hatton had a legit title he would have been legit champion.

You cannot count a fan or a magazine mythical recognition as a belt, yes Ring gives them a belt but its like I said just a magazine recognition not included sanction body.

so far only 4 are recognized to become undisputed and that is IBF, WBA, WBO, WBC

Ring is not included.

also imagine thinking 5 = 6

well you have to go by the record books, twenty years from now nobody will remember that or even 100, unless they are some super history buff like Bert Sugar was.

you must go off the record books and he never won a belt against MAB or HATTON, IBO doenst count

I believe both fighters vacated the titles before fighting Pacman.

If Pacman one the first JMM fight by 1 point he would have been an official champion at 126

at 140 if Hatton had a legit title he would have been legit champion.

You cannot count a fan or a magazine mythical recognition as a belt, yes Ring gives them a belt but its like I said just a magazine recognition not included sanction body.

so far only 4 are recognized to become undisputed and that is IBF, WBA, WBO, WBC

Ring is not included.

What if there is an ESPN article about it?

Back