Technical get up just got REKT

With the old school stand-up maybe your face is a little more protected because you are looking at the floor and not you opponent.

I don't think I'd really have a preference as to whether I'm soccer kicked or roundhoused as I'm coming up. Both sound pretty game ending.

Looking down won't protect you much from strikes. It's the extra distance that you create that helps defend the strikes.

The new school way is basically coming straight up into a wide, low, stable base.

The old school way your base is much higher and not nearly as stable. That is good for creating distance though because you can easily move your feet backwards. I put a shuffle step backwards into my old school way naturally to create distance.

There is a natural tradeoff with stances between stability and mobility. The new school focuses on stability; the old school way has better mobility.

When I do the new school way, my front foot will not move at all. The old school way with a shuffle step back puts me about five feet further back (I just did one on the floor and measured). That extra five feet of distance helps if strikes are involved.

The long and short of it is Williams got complacent and didn't ensure Anders was at a proper distance before trying to stand.

Last edited:
I dunno, it seemed like Williams was looking to make distance. His front foot came back about an extra foot from where it initially started. I guess my ultimate point is I don't really see how, old or new school stand up, you're going to be able to create distance, while standing, at a fast enough rate, to out-race both the length of someone's kicking leg AND their ability to move in on you with their feet. I would posit whatever is going to get you up to your feet fastest when you have that split second opportunity is what is the deciding factor, and it seems like the "new school" version is what accomplishes that goal (Though I take issue calling it new school, as I saw Genki Sudo doing it in a more dangerous ruleset back in the early 2000's so he could try for another flying triangle).

My opinion is that Williams timed it in the worst possible way and paid the price; the fact he was doing a slower version of the stand up also did not help matters.

Any time you are standing up like that you are going to be somewhat vulnerable. It's a bad position to be in -- period. The choice of different methods is just what you want to prioritize in an already bad situation.

A technical stand up in that kind of a situation is a losing proposition. Ideally you'd avoid the situation altogether.

I look at it like escaping from the mount. There are definitely better ways to do it, and you should pick the way that is going to maximize your chances. But it is a dangerous place to be no matter how good your escapes are.

I guess my ultimate point is I don't really see how, old or new school stand up, you're going to be able to create distance, while standing, at a fast enough rate, to out-race both the length of someone's kicking leg AND their ability to move in on you with their feet.

You don't - if he's too close, you kick him until he's not close, and wait for your opportunity.

(Or he tries to get even closer to catch your legs, whereupon you clip him good, or hit the tripod sweep or DLR ankle lock.)

You don't - if he's too close, you kick him until he's not close, and wait for your opportunity.

(Or he tries to get even closer to catch your legs, whereupon you clip him good, or hit the tripod sweep or DLR ankle lock.)

I agree, but to be granular that seems more about your tactics in open guard/seated guard, and I think that all of those options are available from either platform. I was (am) mostly curious as to the virtues of stepping behind and bending at the waist, or making a combat base and standing. I don't see eye-to-eye that bending creates enough distance to be worth the sluggish time sink, but such is the nature of opinions.

If you wanna learn technical stand up for mma you should ask BJ Penn, he is the master of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back