Teacher's Union Attempt to Remove Founding Canadian Prime Minister's Name from Public Schools

I was in a hurry.

On topic, I disagree with the teachers but I don't disagree with having the discussion. Let's reach a consensus about when such an action is appropriate and when it's not, whether to remove things like statues to museums or leave them on public display, whether to change memorials, honorifics, etc, because of the opinions of future generations.

I'm not convinced there's merit in the teachers' arguments, but I'm not convinced they're wrong either. A rancorous OP invited rancorous responses like my first post ITT, but if there wasn't such a huge over-reaction by opponents, it would be easier to have an intelligent discussion about the issue. To wit, renaming buildings and shit like that is a different level of who gives a fuck compared to purpose built monuments dedicated to an individual because the latter are generally considered works of art. (But what I don't get is any opposition to moving them to museums where possible if there is general agreement that public display is inappropriate.)

Sticking to just the names of, in this case, schools, but buildings in general, to me renaming them just isn't that big a deal and it seems to me as well that it happens all the time. On the other hand, Sir John A was literally the face of a nation for so long, it seems foolhardy to try to erase him now. There's a craft beer in my city named after him FFS.

The discussion still needs to be had and it shouldn't be limited to whining like I see in here all the time.

What discussion can be had with people who take it as an article of faith that white men are the source of everyone else's problems?

I would be happy to talk with someone about the good and bad of history as long as their starting assumption is not that I am a co-conspirator in historical evil.

@Rebound59 you start like you did in this thread and then try and turn it around like you're the reasonable one.

This will go no where , bunch of whiney chicken littles

In all seriousness, if the collective opinion is to rename buildings, move statues, rename streets, destroy memorials and monuments and the like then so be it, but don't you fucking dare replace them with the names and likenesses of anyone else. I don't give a crap who they are or what they've done. Given time, I'm sure I can find something to hate about them or some skeleton in their closet to tarnish their halo as is being done now.

Heaven forbid there is some strange cultural shift in the future and after tearing down all the current icons to history yours are deemed controversial in the light of a new social collective and torn down as well.

Rather than raise up the good we've done as a nation, the strides we've made in our concepts of personal liberty and freedom and working even harder to ensure that none of our current and future generations are left behind in the struggle for prosperity we instead keep looking backward for more crap to bitch about as if any nation, any time or any people are perfect.

To be honest, given what I've seen, read and heard from the mainstream media and the louder elements of the progressive left that you allow to speak for you in our national platforms I don't want your America or world. I don't want it because while there is certainly the promise of superficial uniqueness on the outside the truth that becomes plainer every day is that there is no uniqueness internally. It's the socially correct hivemind or nothing. It's cultural, social and intellectual slavery to the will of the mob.

Last edited:
What an embarrassment this is. Sad to see this garbage spill up over the border, but that's the nature of Canucks.

I'm surprised there's not more Canadians taking hyphenated or the wife's last name at this pt

what I also find odd is I personally know a lot of Canadians (from downrange, and then lots come here to visit aka Snowbirds), and I have never met ONE that is supportive of Trudeau and his liberal absurd policies. Who voted this clown in?

I guess George Washington Bridge, worlds busiest bridge, is next. It will be called Reggie Jackson Bridge.

Just erect a statue of Mohammmmmid banging his 9 year old wife from behind holding a decapitated head and a bloody knife on the bridge.

No liberal would dare complain about such a truthful and powerful image of the religion of peace.

Complaining would be racist.

I'm surprised there's not more Canadians taking hyphenated or the wife's last name at this pt

what I also find odd is I personally know a lot of Canadians (from downrange, and then lots come here to visit aka Snowbirds), and I have never met ONE that is supportive of Trudeau and his liberal absurd policies. Who voted this clown in?
People voted for him, but are turning their backs on him as they realize he ain't doing shit, for the most part. Before giving Canada shit for being a liberal wasteland, it's worth remembering that we had a Conservative government for a long time before this (natural backlash helped Trudy).

Here in Ontario we have been under the thumb of Liberal government for the past, what, near 15 years I think.

Sad to see that LGBTQQQQaapapapaAPAPA picture was from Whitby. Hits too close to home.

People voted for him, but are turning their backs on him as they realize he ain't doing shit, for the most part. Before giving Canada shit for being a liberal wasteland, it's worth remembering that we had a Conservative government for a long time before this (natural backlash helped Trudy).

Here in Ontario we have been under the thumb of Liberal government for the past, what, near 15 years I think.

Sad to see that LGBTQQQQaapapapaAPAPA picture was from Whitby. Hits too close to home.
is Canada like the US (and I assume it is), in that the rural areas outside the major metro areas are more conservative?

like obviously Ontario is more liberal than the Alberta oilsands, but I got the impression it followed the US in that regard

What discussion can be had with people who take it as an article of faith that white men are the source of everyone else's problems?

I would be happy to talk with someone about the good and bad of history as long as their starting assumption is not that I am a co-conspirator in historical evil.
Is that what Breitbart taught you was how normal people define white privilege? Or did you learn it from Bill O'Reilly?

is Canada like the US (and I assume it is), in that the rural areas outside the major metro areas are more conservative?

like obviously Ontario is more liberal than the Alberta oilsands, but I got the impression it followed the US in that regard
Alberta in particular, is like Texas North in a lot of ways and for obvious reasons. These days I don't think the rural/urban difference is anywhere near as great as it was just a couple of decades ago, let alone 30 or 40 years ago. Ideology seems to split mostly along economic and provincial lines.

@Rebound59 you start like you did in this thread and then try and turn it around like you're the reasonable one.
A shitpost deserves a shit reply. A shit disturber should be disturbed.

Normal conversation is rewarded with normal responses. Yours don't qualify.

I think Canadians in general are more centrist in terms of a collective group. if we were as left as some think, we'd have had a NDP federal government at some point. That doesn't seem to be anywhere on the horizon.

I get the feeling that this idea will have very little support outside of the teachers pushing it.

A shitpost deserves a shit reply. A shit disturber should be disturbed.

Normal conversation is rewarded with normal responses. Yours don't qualify.

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, if the collective opinion is to rename buildings, move statues, rename streets, destroy memorials and monuments and the like then so be it, but don't you fucking dare replace them with the names and likenesses of anyone else. I don't give a crap who they are or what they've done. Given time, I'm sure I can find something to hate about them or some skeleton in their closet to tarnish their halo as is being done now.

Heaven forbid there is some strange cultural shift in the future and after tearing down all the current icons to history yours are deemed controversial in the light of a new social collective and torn down as well.

Rather than raise up the good we've done as a nation, the strides we've made in our concepts of personal liberty and freedom and working even harder to ensure that none of our current and future generations are left behind in the struggle for prosperity we instead keep looking backward for more crap to bitch about as if any nation, any time or any people are perfect.

To be honest, given what I've seen, read and heard from the mainstream media and the louder elements of the progressive left that you allow to speak for you in our national platforms I don't want your America or world. I don't want it because while there is certainly the promise of superficial uniqueness on the outside the truth that becomes plainer every day is that there is no uniqueness internally. It's the socially correct hivemind or nothing. It's cultural, social and intellectual slavery to the will of the mob.

This is the thing that makes me angry. It's like European Americans, whites, Christians have done nothing to help the cause of minorities in the West. Especially in recent decades (many of them now, before any of us were born). Now the goalposts were moved so that the whole structure of equity needs to be turned on its head and history has to be recompensed back to some biased starting point.

And you nailed it, guaranteed that any name put on a building won't have a squeaky clean past either. It's utter hypocrisy.

They bought the vote of the most recent immigrants. Those who have little care or respect or knowledge of the history of Canada. The ones that became citizen by the tongue but by the heart say death to the West.

Back