Teachers Are OVERpaid

beat·ing
ˈbēdiNG/
noun
  1. 1.
    a punishment or assault in which the victim is hit repeatedly.
    "if he got dirt on his clothes, he'd get a beating"

How the fuck is whacking a kid with a piece of wood not a beating? It's literally the definition of the word. It's also been scientifically shown that spanking children isn't an effective form of punishment and can fuck them up.

So if you want to be an ignorant, aggressive, hypocrite Christian, then go ahead and "paddle" your kids.

If you want to live in the 21st century, learn to handle a child like an adult without striking them.

If you think one up to three swats = a beating then maybe you needed a few . . .

I don't need your blessing or permission to discipline my kids however my wife and I deem necessary. Thankfully they are both well rounded young ladies and have more common sense than most of the nose pickers who post on here. So thanks for your advice, but my kids are just fine.

If you think one up to three swats = a beating then maybe you needed a few . . .

I don't need your blessing or permission to discipline my kids however my wife and I deem necessary. Thankfully they are both well rounded young ladies and have more common sense than most of the nose pickers who post on here. So thanks for your advice, but my kids are just fine.

If you don't understand what the definition of "beating" is, that's on you not me. You don't get to arbitrarily change the definitions of words to suit your desires. If you paddle a kid you are beating them with a piece of shaped wood. It's that simple.

I'm not telling you what you can or cannot do with your kids. I'm just telling you that you're a fucking ignorant hypocrite if you're a Christian who beats your kids for discipline because you're a weak parent who can't control a child without causing them physical harm.

Idk, maybe the field they will go on to teach to children? You can't really tell me you think that between two biology teachers you'd prefer the one with a Master's in education for your child over the one with a Master's in biology or a subfield of it.
I was thinking along the lines of K-6 teachers who teach all subjects.

I agree that high school teachers should get their masters in their subject area.

Middle school teachers, I dunno. They probably need a masters in adolescent psychology more than anything else. Or criminology. Or just binge drinking.

True but there's also the issue of the public teacher's unions which privilege seniority and can turn off ambitious younger candidates even if the pay is good. I remember at my high school a well liked teacher was sacked after some budget cuts and all the students were pissed it was him instead of one of the older but shittier and less likeable teachers.

Yeah, but you know what, that younger, popular teacher probably got a job somewhere else and eventually worked his way up that school's seniority.

The problem with not having seniority protection is that if the school is looking to save money they could just fire anyone who has been there over 10 years and replace them with new teachers who are making 40k instead of 60k. It's the same with any municipal profession - cops, firefighters, etc.

And if you get laid off with 15 years in, you are in a tough spot because you will be too pricey for other districts. If you get laid off with 2 years experience, you should be able to find other offers.

Unions are there so people can eventually make middle class livings. It's no coincidence that the middle class has evaporated in this country exactly as union membership has declined.

Now shitty teachers are another matter all together. They should be fired no matter how much experience they have. And they can be. You just need an administrator who is determined and not afraid to rock the boat.

Last edited:
How about the subject you're teaching? Why the fuck should an education major be teaching biology? Get someone with a biology degree.
See the post that is literally directly above yours.

It's been downhill ever since Obama banned touching students with teh jab.

In Florida you only need a bachelor's, but you need a master's degree in your subject area if you want to teach dual enrollment. I feel like I need to get one, even though it's annoying. I think the idea that you need a master's in math to teach Trigonometry/Elementary Statistics/Calculus is flat out nonsense (especially for someone with an engineering degree who has probably worked thousands of triangle/calculus problems).

In Florida you only need a bachelor's, but you need a master's degree in your subject area if you want to teach dual enrollment. I feel like I need to get one, even though it's annoying. I think the idea that you need a master's in math to teach Trigonometry/Elementary Statistics/Calculus is flat out nonsense (especially for someone with an engineering degree who has probably worked thousands of triangle/calculus problems).
Should be based more specifically on the courses you took in Uni. I'd trust the position of math teacher more to an individual with a B.A. in engineering than a Master's in education.

Yes, yes, there are some amazing teachers that deserve every penny they get. Obviously, not talking about these outliers. Let's move on.

Blows my mind when people always say that teachers are underpaid. I don't know what fucking schools these people attended, but teachers are fucking terrible everywhere I've been.

Low barrier to entry, decent pay, ridiculous vacation time, hard to be fired, usually great pensions, pretty damn easy job. I just don't get it. Where did this myth originate that teachers were so poor and oppressed?

They literally only have to work 9 months out of the year, get benefits that exceed their salaries, and have a pretty damn easy job. Sure, kids can be annoying and stressful, but, compared to every other job out there, it's nothing. If the worst you have to deal with is kids being rude and disruptive, you don't have my sympathies.

And again, this isn't about all teachers. Many teachers, usually college professors in STEM fields, earn their pay. But again, we're not talking about the outliers, but teachers as a whole.
Damn your stupid.... Your teachers were obviously under paid and cared little about your education.

Should be based more specifically on the courses you took in Uni. I'd trust the position of math teacher more to an individual with a B.A. in engineering than a Master's in education.
I wish there was a certification process that would let me bypass the need for more school. Give me a test to pass, make me teach those courses in front of a room of Ph.D. holders or whatever. I'm happy to prove my competence, but I don't look forward to spending two years earning a piece of paper just so I can teach a curriculum that I already understand.

The only upside is that it's at least a subject that I like.

How about the subject you're teaching? Why the fuck should an education major be teaching biology? Get someone with a biology degree.

see...comments like this just show that you should have never bothered to make this thread. you dont know what youre talking about. you dont know what teachers do, you just think you do because you sat through classes.

you can be albert einstein, but if you cant explain physics to another person, then all your knowledge on the subject is useless in this context. in the educational field, its called the "expert blind spot." its actually REALLY difficult for most people who know something, to put themselves back in a place of ignorance to see the problem from the student's perspective.

ideally, youd like a science teacher trained and educated traditionally in the scientific field that theyre teaching, but without classes on teaching strategy/theory, youre taking a big risk. most people cannot just roll into a class and effectively teach something simply because they know a lot about what theyre teaching.

it would be almost like suggesting that if youre an expert on anatomy and physiology, that you should easily be able to perform surgeries. no.

see...comments like this just show that you should have never bothered to make this thread. you dont know what youre talking about. you dont know what teachers do, you just think you do because you sat through classes.

you can be albert einstein, but if you cant explain physics to another person, then all your knowledge on the subject is useless in this context. in the educational field, its called the "expert blind spot." its actually REALLY difficult for most people who know something, to put themselves back in a place of ignorance to see the problem from the student's perspective.

ideally, youd like a science teacher trained and educated traditionally in the scientific field that theyre teaching, but without classes on teaching strategy/theory, youre taking a big risk. most people cannot just roll into a class and effectively teach something simply because they know a lot about what theyre teaching.

it would be almost like suggesting that if youre an expert on anatomy and physiology, that you should easily be able to perform surgeries. no.
No shit. Obviously knowing a subject through and through doesn't automatically make you a great teacher. But that doesn't mean education majors should be teaching math.

No shit. Obviously knowing a subject through and through doesn't automatically make you a great teacher. But that doesn't mean education majors should be teaching math.

but to teach math, youd have to take a ton of math classes, and most every state would require you to pass a math exit exam before youre allowed to teach it.

wtf_look_of_disapproval_zpsahwmwwsz.gif

I have two cousins who are teachers and both make over 80000 USD per year.
One is a physical education teacher in a highschool and the other works with mentally slow/special needs in an elementary school.

I have two cousins who are teachers and both make over 80000 USD per year.
One is a physical education teacher in a highschool and the other works with mentally slow/special needs in an elementary school.

Public schools?

i am fine with overpaying teachers because i want the best people to be attracted to teaching rather than other careers

i just believe they should have more accountability and oversight. there are too many leftists who get embedded in there and then only hire other leftists and most parents have no idea what is taught to their kids

i went to school in california and i was taught in school that the reason america is successful is diversity and multiculturalism, i was also taught that anyone who doesnt like sharing everything they own is a "bad guy"

Yvette Felarca for example, should never be anywhere near children's young impressionable minds

Back