1. Rising Heavyweight prospect & LFA Heavyweight title challenger, Jared "The Mountain" Vanderaa stops by TODAY at 7:00 PM EST for a LIVE Q&A before he takes on Richard Odoms next Friday at LFA 15. Check it out: here.
    Dismiss Notice

Teachers Are OVERpaid | Page 6

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by PCP319, May 18, 2017.

1. Prutfis Master of pups

Prutfis
    That´s illegal here. And a complete failure as a parent.

When I was a kid my father beat the shit out of me. Noiw that I am an adult I look forward to beating the shit out of my kids. -Dennis Leary

2. fullmount87 Green Belt

fullmount87
    I sort of agree.

My main problem is tenure. Most teachers get burnt out, they shouldn't be guaranteed a job just cause they've been doing it forever.

Also it's sad, my son complains about miserable teachers and they were the same cunts I had to deal with. If you hate kids and can't create a positive environment then you shouldn't be a teacher

covenant likes this.
  3. Fluffernutter Purple Belt

Fluffernutter
    I didn't get into teaching for the money.

Also, not much vacation time since I have spent many weekends grading.

Oh, and many have to work summer school.

4. JonnyRingo84 Gold Belt

JonnyRingo84
    no.

for the vast majority of people, critical thinking skills must be learned. the values of empiricism must be learned. most of us still dont fully grasp it even after schooling. many teachers dont even grasp these things. so imagine how it would be without any formal education....

Slick_36 and panamaican like this.
  5. Squarechoke Silver Belt

Squarechoke
    Judging by the first page I can only assume that the TS is mad at his teacher for yelling at him, or something, and had to vent. I can't find much more point to that.

It's also Biblical to stone unruly children to death so I won't be taking my parenting advice from that.

6. Kafir-kun Gold Belt

Kafir-kun
    I agree with you that many teachers are shit but that's precisely why the professions is said to be underpaid. The thinking is the reason the talent in the field is garbage is because the pay isn't good enough to attract the top minds who would rather enter a plethora of other fields before considering teaching. I think there's some truth to that, most of the people I've run into who enter education are hot girls of average intelligence.

panamaican likes this.
  7. woodguyatl Blue Belt

woodguyatl
    Three teachers in my family. Typical day is 12 hours during school year. Frequent meeting at night to accomodate working parents. Attend school events almost every weekend to support the kids. Work a least 1 month in summer on continuing education and class prep for next year. So, basically, your are wrong. Most teachers work crazy hard.

8. sabretruth Silver Belt

sabretruth
    Republicans oppose ensuring retirement security. Democrats support ensuring retirement security for a privileged minority. I support the government ensuring retirement security for everyone.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  9. kpt018 Silver Belt

kpt018
    WTF are you guys talking about? Teachers near me, with some exceptions, make solidly middle class wages (and around the country they get paid lower than my area). They are responsible for teaching our youth, seems pretty damn reasonable to me.

It's also worth noting that lowering their wages can only make the quality worse. So what is the solution TS? Tell them to do better or something?

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    JonnyRingo84 and luckyshot like this.
  10. MeatheadMike Brown Belt

MeatheadMike
    [​IMG]

11. luckyshot Muslims and Christians and Jews, Oh my...

luckyshot
    Lol, geography in high school? What kind of school did your dad teach in? Was geography for the "special" kids? Most kids take geography classes in middle school, not high school. (Although, given American's general ignorance in the subject, maybe it is something more people should take in high school.)

As far as hours of work goes, it varies wildly. You have English and history teachers who spend hours grading stacks of research papers and the like. Then you have PE teachers who set up some cones and call it a day.

A lot of teachers work really, really hard. And some don't. A lot of teachers are really good at their jobs. And some aren't. Same as anything.

But it's a tough job to do well, that's for sure.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    spamking and JonnyRingo84 like this.
  12. snakedafunky Brown Belt

snakedafunky
    Teachers should be one of the highest paid jobs out there. So it can attract the best people to teach.
    Maybe you can somehow make it that teachers will get a % of the future earnings of the students.
    So the better they are the more money they get. So you got all those Wallstreet traders guys becoming teachers because they can make more money :).

13. PCP319 Orange Belt

PCP319
    It can be a master's in education. Low barrier to entry.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  14. Revolver you sound poor

Revolver
    Teaching is such a thankless job. Even if they were paid what I was making (99.99% more than anyone here) I wouldn't even consider it. For that alone they should be paid higher.

s karlyle and Falsedawn like this.
  15. luckyshot Muslims and Christians and Jews, Oh my...

luckyshot
    What should it be a master's in, plumbing?

16. silus_2000 Gold Belt

silus_2000
    Which economic theories are being used in the OP? Because that was the subject.

17. spamking Proud Okie/Type 01 FFL Dealer

spamking
    Beating? Who said anything about beating someone? If carried out properly a paddling isn't a beating.

I graduated from high school in 1990. Paddling was a currently approved method of discipline at that time. I'm not saying we were perfect by any means, but for the vast majority of kids just the thought of being sent to the principal's office for a paddling was enough to deter them from screwing around. Parents knew it was on the table for their kid if they got in trouble and 9 times out of 10 the kids got additional discipline at home. Paddling, grounding, lost privilege, etc. We had our fair share of kids who were problems, but they eventually got straightened out and realized it wasn't worth pushing their limits with the school administration at the time.

I totally disagree with zero tolerance. It has completely removed a kid's right to defend themselves and emboldened a generation of bullies to the point of no return in many cases . . .

If that's what you get from @ripskater 's posts I think you're misreading them just a bit.

Toastytoy, ripskater and Kafir-kun like this.
  18. Kafir-kun Gold Belt

Kafir-kun
    Idk, maybe the field they will go on to teach to children? You can't really tell me you think that between two biology teachers you'd prefer the one with a Master's in education for your child over the one with a Master's in biology or a subfield of it.

Toastytoy likes this.
  19. jgarner Black Belt

jgarner

beat·ing
    ˈbēdiNG/
    noun
    1. 1.
      a punishment or assault in which the victim is hit repeatedly.
      "if he got dirt on his clothes, he'd get a beating"

How the fuck is whacking a kid with a piece of wood not a beating? It's literally the definition of the word. It's also been scientifically shown that spanking children isn't an effective form of punishment and can fuck them up.

So if you want to be an ignorant, aggressive, hypocrite Christian, then go ahead and "paddle" your kids.

If you want to live in the 21st century, learn to handle a child like an adult without striking them.

20. Kafir-kun Gold Belt

Kafir-kun
    True but there's also the issue of the public teacher's unions which privilege seniority and can turn off ambitious younger candidates even if the pay is good. I remember at my high school a well liked teacher was sacked after some budget cuts and all the students were pissed it was him instead of one of the older but shittier and less likeable teachers.

silus_2000 likes this.