Teachers Are OVERpaid

Look man, I'm on your side with teachers deserving the money they get paid to deal with the kids and the parents.

As far as spanking, it's Biblical to discipline that way. And it works. I can tell you that.

That´s illegal here. And a complete failure as a parent.

When I was a kid my father beat the shit out of me. Noiw that I am an adult I look forward to beating the shit out of my kids. -Dennis Leary

I sort of agree.

My main problem is tenure. Most teachers get burnt out, they shouldn't be guaranteed a job just cause they've been doing it forever.

Also it's sad, my son complains about miserable teachers and they were the same cunts I had to deal with. If you hate kids and can't create a positive environment then you shouldn't be a teacher

I didn't get into teaching for the money.

Also, not much vacation time since I have spent many weekends grading.

Oh, and many have to work summer school.

Isn't learning how to think the same as learning what to think?

no.

for the vast majority of people, critical thinking skills must be learned. the values of empiricism must be learned. most of us still dont fully grasp it even after schooling. many teachers dont even grasp these things. so imagine how it would be without any formal education....

Judging by the first page I can only assume that the TS is mad at his teacher for yelling at him, or something, and had to vent. I can't find much more point to that.

Look man, I'm on your side with teachers deserving the money they get paid to deal with the kids and the parents.

As far as spanking, it's Biblical to discipline that way. And it works. I can tell you that.

It's also Biblical to stone unruly children to death so I won't be taking my parenting advice from that.

Yes, yes, there are some amazing teachers that deserve every penny they get. Obviously, not talking about these outliers. Let's move on.

Blows my mind when people always say that teachers are underpaid. I don't know what fucking schools these people attended, but teachers are fucking terrible everywhere I've been.

Low barrier to entry, decent pay, ridiculous vacation time, hard to be fired, usually great pensions, pretty damn easy job. I just don't get it. Where did this myth originate that teachers were so poor and oppressed?

They literally only have to work 9 months out of the year, get benefits that exceed their salaries, and have a pretty damn easy job. Sure, kids can be annoying and stressful, but, compared to every other job out there, it's nothing. If the worst you have to deal with is kids being rude and disruptive, you don't have my sympathies.

And again, this isn't about all teachers. Many teachers, usually college professors in STEM fields, earn their pay. But again, we're not talking about the outliers, but teachers as a whole.
I agree with you that many teachers are shit but that's precisely why the professions is said to be underpaid. The thinking is the reason the talent in the field is garbage is because the pay isn't good enough to attract the top minds who would rather enter a plethora of other fields before considering teaching. I think there's some truth to that, most of the people I've run into who enter education are hot girls of average intelligence.

Yes, yes, there are some amazing teachers that deserve every penny they get. Obviously, not talking about these outliers. Let's move on.

Blows my mind when people always say that teachers are underpaid. I don't know what fucking schools these people attended, but teachers are fucking terrible everywhere I've been.

Low barrier to entry, decent pay, ridiculous vacation time, hard to be fired, usually great pensions, pretty damn easy job. I just don't get it. Where did this myth originate that teachers were so poor and oppressed?

They literally only have to work 9 months out of the year, get benefits that exceed their salaries, and have a pretty damn easy job. Sure, kids can be annoying and stressful, but, compared to every other job out there, it's nothing. If the worst you have to deal with is kids being rude and disruptive, you don't have my sympathies.

And again, this isn't about all teachers. Many teachers, usually college professors in STEM fields, earn their pay. But again, we're not talking about the outliers, but teachers as a whole.

Three teachers in my family. Typical day is 12 hours during school year. Frequent meeting at night to accomodate working parents. Attend school events almost every weekend to support the kids. Work a least 1 month in summer on continuing education and class prep for next year. So, basically, your are wrong. Most teachers work crazy hard.

yea in most states i think teacher pay is fair. but there are some states where it is terribly inadequate. and then in a few states theyre probably paid more than they should be.

Republicans oppose ensuring retirement security. Democrats support ensuring retirement security for a privileged minority. I support the government ensuring retirement security for everyone.

WTF are you guys talking about? Teachers near me, with some exceptions, make solidly middle class wages (and around the country they get paid lower than my area). They are responsible for teaching our youth, seems pretty damn reasonable to me.

It's also worth noting that lowering their wages can only make the quality worse. So what is the solution TS? Tell them to do better or something?

Last edited:
I think they deserve what they get paid having to deal with those kids and parents today.

And they can't even paddle the kids and the principals even make teachers change the grades if the kid earns a bad grade. I wouldn't want to deal with the parents either.

If they bring back paddling, then it might be worth it, Cause then you could keep the kids in line easier if they know Mr Ripskater will open up a can of whoop ass.

fUSLydDd9kCwo.webp

90 hours a week? lol. nah man.

my dad was a public school teacher, my uncle, two aunts, and about 20 friends/classmates. When I was six he'd have me grade his high school student geography exams. Shit is easy as.

he retired at 55, just got a part time job in the summer and saved his money. it's not really that hard.
Lol, geography in high school? What kind of school did your dad teach in? Was geography for the "special" kids? Most kids take geography classes in middle school, not high school. (Although, given American's general ignorance in the subject, maybe it is something more people should take in high school.)

As far as hours of work goes, it varies wildly. You have English and history teachers who spend hours grading stacks of research papers and the like. Then you have PE teachers who set up some cones and call it a day.

A lot of teachers work really, really hard. And some don't. A lot of teachers are really good at their jobs. And some aren't. Same as anything.

But it's a tough job to do well, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Teachers should be one of the highest paid jobs out there. So it can attract the best people to teach.
Maybe you can somehow make it that teachers will get a % of the future earnings of the students.
So the better they are the more money they get. So you got all those Wallstreet traders guys becoming teachers because they can make more money :).

I'd love to see you deal with a room full of 26 10 year-olds, half of whom have ADHD or some other such "learning disability," half of whom are from broken families, and a bunch of whom probably don't speak English.

I'd love to see you just keep order and wipe noses. Without yelling, without losing your temper, without throwing shit against a wall. And teach math on top of that? Lawdy, if you think just anyone can do that, you are sadly mistaken. I know I would probably jump off a bridge after about a week.

Secondly, it's not a teacher's fault that bureaucrats have decided they need master's degrees. I don't think a master's degree necessarily makes someone a better teacher. The only reason I posted this was to respond to the misconception that it's a "low bar of entry into the profession." Ah, no. How many jobs with a 40k starting salary require a masters degree?
It can be a master's in education. Low barrier to entry.

Teaching is such a thankless job. Even if they were paid what I was making (99.99% more than anyone here) I wouldn't even consider it. For that alone they should be paid higher.

Real life isn't an economics 101 theory. Supply and demand doesn't set prices that way in the real world. There's way more elasticity than you'd think
Which economic theories are being used in the OP? Because that was the subject.

I know the Zero Tolerance Policies of today are out of control. I know there are some rough schools where there's serious violence. I also know that those don't account for most schools. I think it's bullshit when a kid gets suspended for liking a gun photo on Instagram or an elementary school kid pretends to shoot something with his fingers. If someone commits real violence or a threat then deal with it as necessary. Beating someone isn't what we do in the justice system, so why would you want it in your schools?

Beating? Who said anything about beating someone? If carried out properly a paddling isn't a beating.

I graduated from high school in 1990. Paddling was a currently approved method of discipline at that time. I'm not saying we were perfect by any means, but for the vast majority of kids just the thought of being sent to the principal's office for a paddling was enough to deter them from screwing around. Parents knew it was on the table for their kid if they got in trouble and 9 times out of 10 the kids got additional discipline at home. Paddling, grounding, lost privilege, etc. We had our fair share of kids who were problems, but they eventually got straightened out and realized it wasn't worth pushing their limits with the school administration at the time.

I totally disagree with zero tolerance. It has completely removed a kid's right to defend themselves and emboldened a generation of bullies to the point of no return in many cases . . .

I'm just saying Rip is always talking about Jesus and shit like it's not some retarded ancient belief system of the world. So why the fuck is he talking about beating children with paddles like it's cool? I thought that's the complete opposite of his faith's belief system.

If that's what you get from @ripskater 's posts I think you're misreading them just a bit.

What should it be a master's in, plumbing?
Idk, maybe the field they will go on to teach to children? You can't really tell me you think that between two biology teachers you'd prefer the one with a Master's in education for your child over the one with a Master's in biology or a subfield of it.

Beating? Who said anything about beating someone? If carried out properly a paddling isn't a beating.

I graduated from high school in 1990. Paddling was a currently approved method of discipline at that time. I'm not saying we were perfect by any means, but for the vast majority of kids just the thought of being sent to the principal's office for a paddling was enough to deter them from screwing around. Parents knew it was on the table for their kid if they got in trouble and 9 times out of 10 the kids got additional discipline at home. Paddling, grounding, lost privilege, etc. We had our fair share of kids who were problems, but they eventually got straightened out and realized it wasn't worth pushing their limits with the school administration at the time.

I totally disagree with zero tolerance. It has completely removed a kid's right to defend themselves and emboldened a generation of bullies to the point of no return in many cases . . .

If that's what you get from @ripskater 's posts I think you're misreading them just a bit.

beat·ing
ˈbēdiNG/
noun
  1. 1.
    a punishment or assault in which the victim is hit repeatedly.
    "if he got dirt on his clothes, he'd get a beating"

How the fuck is whacking a kid with a piece of wood not a beating? It's literally the definition of the word. It's also been scientifically shown that spanking children isn't an effective form of punishment and can fuck them up.

So if you want to be an ignorant, aggressive, hypocrite Christian, then go ahead and "paddle" your kids.

If you want to live in the 21st century, learn to handle a child like an adult without striking them.

I'm no economist, but... If you increase pay you increase the demand to be a teacher and in turn make the field more competitive. And through competition you will get a better product.
True but there's also the issue of the public teacher's unions which privilege seniority and can turn off ambitious younger candidates even if the pay is good. I remember at my high school a well liked teacher was sacked after some budget cuts and all the students were pissed it was him instead of one of the older but shittier and less likeable teachers.

Back