Teachers Are OVERpaid

Teachers have an incredible amount of work to do. As you have already mentioned they have to lesson plan, mark assignments and attend professional development sessions. There is also report cards, parent teacher interviews and after school sports teams and clubs. Teachers also have to deal with the complaints of other teachers, staff, administration, parents, students and dealing with poor student attitudes and behavior. That is all in addition to the teacher's main job of teaching and managing the classroom. Teacher's also have to find time to live their own lives as well.

Most people who whine about teachers would not last a week working as a teacher.
Clubs and sports? Those are choices, volunteering your time. I coach HS football. I don't count that as my work hours, lol.

That's a retarded comparison

According to you teachers are paid less than dog walkers. Babysitters are a business. They do not get benefits. Most baby sitters do not baby sit 30 kids at once. They usually do one or 2 and they usually don't get paid by the child.

Unless you're talking about an actual babysitting business/corp then yes they count by the child but again it's a business. You do not get benefits, you usually have to hire other babysitters, insurance, rent etc. The baby sitters they hire will be paid by the hour and not by the kids. Only the business owner will be paid by the kid.
It was a cheeky comparison. Calm down. The point is, the cost of childcare, and that's just a part of what a teacher does, is expensive.
K-12 is low barrier, 40k nationally is middle income or your average BA/BS degree. So it's comparable to other degree/fields. But they also work a ton LESS. So in the end, they're getting paid more compared to other fields with the same degree/education.
K-12 is not a low barrier. Where are you getting that? As I said, 33 states plus DC require a teacher to earn a master's degree.

If you want higher income, then you teach in college where you'd get paid 100k+ STARTING. That's upper class income.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Policeman/Salary.
The vast majority of all college instructors are adjunct, not full tenure positions. The average salary for an adjunct prof. is $20-25K per year. Average salary for a full time college prof. is about $85k.
o-ADJUNCT-FACULTY-570.jpg

You really are terribly misinformed and should learn what you are talking about before you continue this conversation.

Last edited:
I have plenty of teacher friends. They get paid shit. My one buddy has a masters and makes garbage money, while paying off student loans. I don't have a masters and make far more without the stress of dealing with kids.

i think teachers are underpaid, and overpaid, depending on where teachers teach. teachers in the hood are way underpaid. having to deal with violent students without having the power to retaliate must be a terrible position to be in. university professors are WAY fucking overpaid. a bunch of utopian-thinking hippies who think the world can be a perfect place because they live in their liberal bubbles where the people around them are well-off, and they wonder why the rest of the world can't be as harmonious.

What imaginationland do you live in where college professors don't understand the plight of the poor? Universities do more for the less fortunate than most capitalist Republicans. Your comment just screams "I've never been to a real university".

What imaginationland do you live in where college professors don't understand the plight of the poor? Universities do more for the less fortunate than most capitalist Republicans. Your comment just screams "I've never been to a real university".

really? is that why colleges have skyrocketed tuition, because they care so much about the poor? yeah, nothing says i care about the poor more than overcharging people while pocketing the gains. have YOU ever been to a real university?

Last edited:
I do too.

But I don't think teaching is something that a person should get rich doing either. Its a good job.

Have you ever met anyone who thought they made too much money? Everyone wants more money. Teachers just use children to make people feel bad about it.
I mostly agree.
I'm pretty happy with my kid's teachers and I think the one's they've had seem like they're in it for the right reasons.

Damn right Rip. After all, let's all remember what Jesus said about it.

"When a child acts like a child, beat him in the ass with a giant wooden paddle to teach his ass a lesson"

You're such a giant fucking hypocrite dude.

On the teacher note, there are bad teachers and good ones like any other industry in the world. Most teachers don't make enough money for the hours they put into working, and most take their work home with them at night. Most spend their own money on school supplies for the kids. We should value an education way more, then maybe we wouldn't have such idiots running around. I say pay teachers double and watch how the market fills up with better quality teachers.
Look man, I'm on your side with teachers deserving the money they get paid to deal with the kids and the parents.

As far as spanking, it's Biblical to discipline that way. And it works. I can tell you that.

Look man, I'm on your side with teachers deserving the money they get paid to deal with the kids and the parents.

As far as spanking, it's Biblical to discipline that way. And it works. I can tell you that.

Isn't it also biblical to kill everyone on the planet except one dude with his family and some animals?

Yes, yes, there are some amazing teachers that deserve every penny they get. Obviously, not talking about these outliers. Let's move on.

Blows my mind when people always say that teachers are underpaid. I don't know what fucking schools these people attended, but teachers are fucking terrible everywhere I've been.

Low barrier to entry, decent pay, ridiculous vacation time, hard to be fired, usually great pensions, pretty damn easy job. I just don't get it. Where did this myth originate that teachers were so poor and oppressed?

They literally only have to work 9 months out of the year, get benefits that exceed their salaries, and have a pretty damn easy job. Sure, kids can be annoying and stressful, but, compared to every other job out there, it's nothing. If the worst you have to deal with is kids being rude and disruptive, you don't have my sympathies.

And again, this isn't about all teachers. Many teachers, usually college professors in STEM fields, earn their pay. But again, we're not talking about the outliers, but teachers as a whole.

an easy job? youre a F'ing idiot.

do you also think that teachers get off of work at 3:30 every day?

Isn't it also biblical to kill everyone on the planet except one dude with his family and some animals?
Start a new thread if you're mad at me and mad at God. We're talking about teachers here man.

Besides, chill out man, I actually have nothing against you. And we can agree on a lot in this thread.

Start a new thread if you're mad at me and mad at God. We're talking about teachers here man.

Besides, chill out man, I actually have nothing against you. And we can agree on a lot in this thread.

I'm just wondering since you brought it up. We're talking about teachers and punishment. You think beating kids is OK. I'm trying to see how that matches your supposed beliefs.

On average, teachers make about 50k a year. That number includes substitutes and part timers. If you look at full time teachers, they make around 65k a year. Not to shabby, but far from great. The problem is to earn that, you'd have to be 10 years in after getting your degree from university. They are NOT overpaid.

Last edited:
I wasn't suggesting that. But a higher barrier of entry would certainly help. My GF has a friend that is now teaching math to elementary school kids. This girl literally could not figure out 12x12 in her head, and thinks that the metric and imperial systems are things I made up. That girl does not deserve to be a teacher.

so........you want a higher quality of teacher, while simultaneously saying that theyre overpaid? how will that work out?

The teachers I know recycle their lesson plan every year,

the good ones do not. teaching 101 = tweak your plans constantly

so aside from grading papers which only takes as long as you want it to take

what on earth led you to this conclusion? i guess many people think that teachers can assign less work if they dont feel like grading very much. that is not the case.

there's not too much work.

what about coaching and running clubs? requirements to consistently contact parents? even with glory coaching jobs like basketball or football, many of those coaches do not volunteer for that. they are voluntold.

Sure, there's occasional meetings,

more than occasional, though i guess it depends on what youre comparing it to.

and parent-teacher interviews, but given that they have summer vacation, they work less than the average person.

most teacher work so much during the year, that i see it as evening out.

imo, 1/3 of teachers are absolutely terrible. they teach because they have no other options. 1/3 do their jobs. the final 1/3 are amazing people who absolutely work their fingers to the bone, and theyre there because they want to be, not because they have to be.

Private sector teachers are paid significantly less.

its because they generally have "better" students. smaller class sizes. so theyre willing to take the pay cut.

of which you may have been aware.

Yes, yes, there are some amazing teachers that deserve every penny they get. Obviously, not talking about these outliers. Let's move on.

Blows my mind when people always say that teachers are underpaid. I don't know what fucking schools these people attended, but teachers are fucking terrible everywhere I've been.

Low barrier to entry, decent pay, ridiculous vacation time, hard to be fired, usually great pensions, pretty damn easy job. I just don't get it. Where did this myth originate that teachers were so poor and oppressed?

They literally only have to work 9 months out of the year, get benefits that exceed their salaries, and have a pretty damn easy job. Sure, kids can be annoying and stressful, but, compared to every other job out there, it's nothing. If the worst you have to deal with is kids being rude and disruptive, you don't have my sympathies.

And again, this isn't about all teachers. Many teachers, usually college professors in STEM fields, earn their pay. But again, we're not talking about the outliers, but teachers as a whole.

Hi, you don't understand, it's not the teachers it's the administration. Teachers can't discipline students. They are really in a tough situation.

The trick is to become a high school gym teacher.

Never take any work home, never grade a test and watch 18 year olds boobs bounce in gym class.

I blame crime, drug abuse, homelessness on shitty teachers. What's disgusting is shitty teachers going on the news pleading for more money for the children, when they really mean for themselves. I saw a wide shot of the union leader, and he's obese. Probably had too much expensive fine dining.

I think they deserve what they get paid having to deal with those kids and parents today.

And they can't even paddle the kids and the principals even make teachers change the grades if the kid earns a bad grade. I wouldn't want to deal with the parents either.

If they bring back paddling, then it might be worth it, Cause then you could keep the kids in line easier if they know Mr Ripskater will open up a can of whoop ass.

Yes, violence against children always solves shit.

This is what a sub 85 IQ gets you. You couldn´t teach kindergarden.

Back