Teachers Are OVERpaid

PCP319

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Yes, yes, there are some amazing teachers that deserve every penny they get. Obviously, not talking about these outliers. Let's move on.

Blows my mind when people always say that teachers are underpaid. I don't know what fucking schools these people attended, but teachers are fucking terrible everywhere I've been.

Low barrier to entry, decent pay, ridiculous vacation time, hard to be fired, usually great pensions, pretty damn easy job. I just don't get it. Where did this myth originate that teachers were so poor and oppressed?

They literally only have to work 9 months out of the year, get benefits that exceed their salaries, and have a pretty damn easy job. Sure, kids can be annoying and stressful, but, compared to every other job out there, it's nothing. If the worst you have to deal with is kids being rude and disruptive, you don't have my sympathies.

And again, this isn't about all teachers. Many teachers, usually college professors in STEM fields, earn their pay. But again, we're not talking about the outliers, but teachers as a whole.

Yeah, clearly tge USA just has a problem with having too many quality educators.

Lowering the pay will fix that.

Anti-Intellectualism is a problem. Op is the example.

Yeah, clearly tge USA just has a problem with having too many quality educators.

Lowering the pay will fix that.
I wasn't suggesting that. But a higher barrier of entry would certainly help. My GF has a friend that is now teaching math to elementary school kids. This girl literally could not figure out 12x12 in her head, and thinks that the metric and imperial systems are things I made up. That girl does not deserve to be a teacher.

Anti-Intellectualism is a problem. Op is the example.
How is wanting a higher barrier to entry anti-intellectualism? I want the bad teachers to be held to a higher standard. And I want the victim complex to stop.

I think they deserve what they get paid having to deal with those kids and parents today.

And they can't even paddle the kids and the principals even make teachers change the grades if the kid earns a bad grade. I wouldn't want to deal with the parents either.

If they bring back paddling, then it might be worth it, Cause then you could keep the kids in line easier if they know Mr Ripskater will open up a can of whoop ass.

I wasn't suggesting that. But a higher barrier of entry would certainly help. My GF has a friend that is now teaching math to elementary school kids. This girl literally could not figure out 12x12 in her head, and thinks that the metric and imperial systems are things I made up. That girl does not deserve to be a teacher.

Is that your title? Maybe im having a stroke. Could have sworn it says teachers are overpaid, and nothing at all about barriers to entry.

Maybe in the OP?

...... No, read it again. Its all about pay being too high.

I spend my 4 years in high school in a public school in Miami.

Can confirm most teachers are useless, while I did have one life changing teacher. Outlier though, as OP mentioned. The "hard to fire" part especially. My chemistry and English teachers literally did not teach. They had their tenure secured and just didn't care. And my world history teacher, good lord one of the hottest black women I've ever seen but holy shit was she dense.

We also have a teacher here in the WR, who doesn't give his profession a good name.

How is wanting a higher barrier to entry anti-intellectualism? I want the bad teachers to be held to a higher standard. And I want the victim complex to stop.

Then increase standards. Don't talk about them being overpaid when it's already hard enough for us to get good teachers because the states pay ass.

And lol @ "victim complex". You're in here crying about them not having to work summers and having benefits when they probably work 90 hours a week when you consider grading, lesson plans, long term planning, and workshops.

People like you are the reason we have a dearth of good teachers, don't get it twisted.

OP got wrecked ITT

Teachers aren't overpaid, if anything the profession is underpaid thus you're not attracting consistent high quality candidates. Once you pay properly you can start attracting better candidates who might go into other fields because of pay

Two of the dumbest people I know are high school teachers, so I agree with the low barrier to entry part.

Then increase standards. Don't talk about them being overpaid when it's already hard enough for us to get good teachers because the states pay ass.

And lol @ "victim complex". You're in here crying about them not having to work summers and having benefits when they probably work 90 hours a week when you consider grading, lesson plans, long term planning, and workshops.

People like you are the reason we have a dearth of good teachers, don't get it twisted.
90 hours per week? lolololol, good joke

Higher standards for teachers, better pay to encourage better candidates and hold them to a strict stance of non-politics or social agendas in their classrooms unless the class is specific to such discussions.

I'm awfully tired of teachers and professors pushing political and social agendas of any variety on children and young adults. Teach your subject and shut the fuck up about everything else.

90 hours per week? lolololol, good joke
When you factor in not only in class time but time spent grading papers, developing lesson plans, etc... it's no stretch of the imagination to image a 90 hr week for a teacher in a school with stuffed classrooms.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know any teachers. Your ignorance is astounding.
I understand teachers do work after-hours (as do ALL professions), but to imply it's that much is the biggest exaggeration I've ever heard. And yes, I know quite a few teachers.

There are plenty of surveys from teachers out there. Usually comes out to a little over 50/wk.

I don't they're de facto overpaid, I do think that they need to be more vigorously evaluated.

Two of the dumbest people I know are high school teachers, so I agree with the low barrier to entry part.

Think about why that is.

Why are intelligent people going to be teachers if they don't genuinely enjoy it? What's the motivation? You get paid shit, you're assailed by parents for not loving their little snowflake, you get assailed by anti-intellectuals because you're KULTURBOLSCHEWISMUS, you have long hours, kids can be shitty, you have to pay for your own supplies, etc etc.... What smart person would go for that?

If you restrict the qualified applicant pool to "people who love teaching", is there any wonder that the vast majority of people you get are yokels looking for a paycheck? You gotta have teachers, can't be choosy when you treat them like ass.

Back