Target Going To Give Their Employees A Living Wage 15 Dollars An Hour By End Of 2020

Businesses should be able to determine their wages. Not a government mandate

Agreed.. but I do understand why government has to set a 'minimum'. There has to be a balance between the two.

You might be right I honestly don't know enough about the subject to comment one way or the other. I've heard arguments for both sides and they both sound convincing.

Minimum wage employees get their living expenses partially covered by the tax payer.

A living wage means their employer covers them.

Are they balancing that with increases in automation and descreases in workforce? In Ontario the projected push is 15 a hour mw but this has been followed by restaurants and small businesses saying they will decrease their workforce or increase their prices -- while major companies like loblaws, shoppers, metro will be increasing their automation, price hike and decrease their workforce.

However, target is a private company doing this on their own accord -- if they increase their wages while not decreases their labor force and or passing the cost on to the costumer, then kudos. It will be interesting to see how they compete with Amazons model of complete automation

Of course businesses prefer to keep costs covered by the tax payer.

Fact is many minimum wage jobs can't be automated or offshored.

Gotta be honest, i wasnt even picturing service industry jobs that were above middle management, so that totally makes sense

Service industry is finance, laywers, accounting, advertising and many more professions.

Walmart says it plans to compete with this by giving its employees classes on how to apply for even more welfare programs.

Looks like target pricing will increase. Time to shop elsewhere.
If target does this I will start shopping there even more.

I dont mind if the prices go up a little.
I am willing to pay more for a company that cares for its workers.

Besides they have better quality than wal mart.

I wonder if that's why today I saw so many Target employees acting like they are so hard at work stocking the shelves with like 4 or 5 of them in one aisle where customers can't even get through to buy stuff.

Great for them. Only right wingers will see this as a negative. I don't mind paying a little more for goods if their employees can all make 15 bucks an hour. Win for everyone!!

As a matter of fact most conservatives I'm sure shop at Wal-Mart so we shouldn't be seeing many opinions from them in here
Every southern man knows (I am one) that you buy your clothes at wal mart or boot barn...and in some christmas occasions cabelas.

How soon until Target stocks spiral downward, again

Target is going bankrupt then lmao

these are jobs for high school/college kids and the elderly... it shouldn't be a place to make a living

Some kid for show and tell is gonna tell the class... "My daddy is a cashier at Target!"

loser!!! lmao

Target is going bankrupt then lmao

these are jobs for high school/college kids and the elderly... it shouldn't be a place to make a living

Some kid for show and tell is gonna tell the class... "My daddy is a cashier at Target!"

loser!!! lmao

Right he should go on welfare instead so you can pay for his kids zhit.

Loser!!!! lmao

Looks like target pricing will increase. Time to shop elsewhere.
Costco has been doing this since forever and it hasnt destroyed their company. Hell, they are doing super great.

Costco has been doing this since forever and it hasnt destroyed their company. Hell, they are doing super great.
Costco is weird. Did you know that they're actually LOSING money for every rotisserie chicken they sell?

But then again, everytime I go there I end up spending couple of hundred dollars.

Every southern man knows (I am one) that you buy your clothes at wal mart or boot barn...and in some christmas occasions cabelas.

Never even heard of the other 2 you mentioned. I think I have bought socks at Walmart once

Costco is weird. Did you know that they're actually LOSING money for every rotisserie chicken they sell?

But then again, everytime I go there I end up spending couple of hundred dollars.
crazy how that works. Remember when everyone said the sony playstation and the Xbox would die because the companies took a loss for each console sold. yeah.

The biggest employers like 50 years ago were GM, GE, Ford, National Steel. Now they are Walmart and Target. Same logic with $15 dollars an hour for fast food workers. This is our future. These are our jobs. Shitty retail. Lipstick on a pig. What will we celebrate next? Starbucks raising their wages?

They'll be going out of business by then via amazon monoply so this is a nice idle promise

The biggest employers like 50 years ago were GM, GE, Ford, National Steel. Now they are Walmart and Target. Same logic with $15 dollars an hour for fast food workers. This is our future. These are our jobs. Shitty retail. Lipstick on a pig.

Those are not the future... Those stores are rapidly consolidating due to the growth of online retail and fast food in the midst of an automated order/prep revolution

Those are not the future... Those stores are rapidly consolidating due to the growth of online retail and fast food in the midst of an automated order/prep revolution

What is the future then? Ok, it is the present and near future, after that, then what?

Back