Target Going To Give Their Employees A Living Wage 15 Dollars An Hour By End Of 2020

I assume it's because the government is forcing companies to pay employees a certain wage which if not done with enough thought can actually hurt small business

Government should force companies to pay a living wage. Capitalism does not always lend itself to honesty especially when CEO's pay themselves 25million while their employees get 8.00/hr. It's ridiculous

we had more manufacturing sectors in our economy then, Unions had more power, and more private sector jobs had pensions
now, w/ a service based economy, these people are generally low paid AND low skilled.....so that leaves what exactly?

If we don't see a shift towards vocational training in this country, we're going to have massive problems w/ the safety net and wealth disparity will get even worse

No chance, really. This is one area where markets work really well. If there's a shortage of a particular set of skills, the wages for jobs that require those skills rise, and people shift into those areas (and you even see employers offering training).

Also, there's no chance of any kind of safety-net issue relating to automation as such. If policy shifts income distribution from workers to owners, then, sure, more people will need assistance.

Are they balancing that with increases in automation and descreases in workforce? In Ontario the projected push is 15 a hour mw but this has been followed by restaurants and small businesses saying they will decrease their workforce or increase their prices -- while major companies like loblaws, shoppers, metro will be increasing their automation, price hike and decrease their workforce.

However, target is a private company doing this on their own accord -- if they increase their wages while not decreases their labor force and or passing the cost on to the costumer, then kudos. It will be interesting to see how they compete with Amazons model of complete automation

No chance, really. This is one area where markets work really well. If there's a shortage of a particular set of skills, the wages for jobs that require those skills rise, and people shift into those areas (and you even see employers offering training).

Also, there's no chance of any kind of safety-net issue relating to automation as such. If policy shifts income distribution from workers to owners, then, sure, more people will need assistance.
i was more referring to if they simply pay less employees a higher wage to do the same amount of work (i.e. fast food)

The simple fact we have so many employees in the service sector is a huge part of why we have such income disparity, presumably right?

I am shopping at American Giant their clothing made in America by employees who make 40,000 plus a year. Yes their expensive but they have a life time warranty on their clothing.

I have some of their stuff!! I love my hoodies I got from them. Fits good, looks good and the quality is on point. Not cheap clothing but you get what you pay for.

And good on Target for this move, they make a lot of money and imo can easily afford to pay their employees a better wage.

Great for them. Only right wingers will see this as a negative. I don't mind paying a little more for goods if their employees can all make 15 bucks an hour. Win for everyone!!

As a matter of fact most conservatives I'm sure shop at Wal-Mart so we shouldn't be seeing many opinions from them in here

Actually most right wingers would be all for a private company raising their own minimum. Most conservatives just don't want the government to force it.

Why is progress looked down upon?

We automated telephone switches, and many telephone operators lost their jobs. Was that a bad thing?

We automated practically every form of assembly lines and manufacturing, and those people lost their jobs. Is that such a bad thing?

Yes there will be temporary job loss. But in the long term it will be better for the country.
Didn't say automation was a bad thing. Saying minimum wage increase is a bad thing. And all those people who support it will be in for a rude awakening.

Government should force companies to pay a living wage. Capitalism does not always lend itself to honesty especially when CEO's pay themselves 25million while their employees get 8.00/hr. It's ridiculous

You might be right I honestly don't know enough about the subject to comment one way or the other. I've heard arguments for both sides and they both sound convincing.

I hope it works out well for them and their employees.

lol

why is a company rewarding their employees with 15/hour when they have little to no skills? paramedics save lives and make 16/hour; they had to go to school at least two years and get certifications.... but i guess target will just have to raise the costs of their goods to compensate

Looks like target pricing will increase. Time to shop elsewhere.
Hey no shame in that... If you can't afford a small increase in the cost of their goods you can't afford it

This is what many people don't understand job turnover and retention. Walmart is literally a revolving door. Costco has less then 20 percent turnover vs over 45 percent at Walmart.
And Costco has much more affluent shoppers. But hey fuck those poor people right?

lol

why is a company rewarding their employees with 15/hour when they have little to no skills? paramedics save lives and make 16/hour; they had to go to school at least two years and get certifications.... but i guess target will just have to raise the costs of their goods to compensate

It might be because 1. they have the money 2. they want to lower employee turn over rates. Hiring a new employee every time someone quits cost money as well. I'm sure this was factored into the decision.

lol

Why in the fuck do you people hate on retail workers so much? Really, the hate you people give to retail/fast food people is fucking hilarious....The elitism is outstanding, just imagine if you fuckers were actually multi-millionaires lol.

Instead of hating on retail workers making $15, perhaps you should be mad @ the fact that Paramedics only make $16?

This is good, perhaps all those paramedics will start working @ Target so paramedics will get a huge pay increase, if there is a shortage.

And Costco has much more affluent shoppers. But hey fuck those poor people right?

Costco is pretty fucking cheap......Other than buying the membership, I think Costco is worth it more than crappy ass Walmart.

Costco is a poor people shopping place, like seriously....You can buy bulk food and save more than Walmart.

Also Wal-mart is not the best poor people shopping place either.....I'll take 99 Cent Store over Walmart any day...They have way better deals when it comes to food and cheap house shit.

So please stop trying to advertise Walmart as the Poor People's champ because it isn't.

money is relative. If minimum wage goes up to $15.00--does that mean that we just made everyone who already makes $15 also the bottom of the barrel poor? prices go up and we extended the working class poor or does this make the the bottom earner's lives better? I am all for redistribution of wealth but I don't know how that is done.

I think this is great for those working at Target and would be up for supporting them by shopping there, but if everyone did this, it could backfire for everyone and I don't really trust big corporate motives.

Costco is pretty fucking cheap......Other than buying the membership, I think Costco is worth it more than crappy ass Walmart.

Costco is a poor people shopping place, like seriously....You can buy bulk food and save more than Walmart.

Also Wal-mart is not the best poor people shopping place either.....I'll take 99 Cent Store over Walmart any day...They have way better deals when it comes to food and cheap house shit.

So please stop trying to advertise Walmart as the Poor People's champ because it isn't.

average income of a costco shopper is how much? you can google. we'll wait

lol

life saving first responders are criminally underpaid and overworked--taken advantage of for their duty to help other people. I wouldn't compare the two.

*not firefighters, they get paid in pussy.

Things they're not telling you.

By 2020, all cash registers will be self serve. There's a new target that just opened up last month here and it's all self serving registers with 1 employee watching the lane of 6-8 registers.

Better check how many employees they have now cuz by 2020, it'll be halved.

Also by 2020, all their merchandise will be increased by 33-50%.

So a 50% increase in minimum wage will increase all prices by 50%? you know wages are not the main expense of retailers right?

average income of a costco shopper is how much? you can google. we'll wait
and?.......Yes there's a shitload of people who buy in huge bulk..It's perfect for rich people.

I been to Costco..I seen the prices...some of my family is poor and they go there to buy....My town has a lot of poor people that go there as well....They have a lot of good deals, even for poor people.

Now whether more poor people buy more in walmart, is another thing, but to imply that Costco is expensive so only well off people buy there...Is pure fucking bullshit.

Costco>Wal-mart in terms of deals for poor people.

Back