tanquinho's 2nd ufc fight

Mendes is relentless. Seems like he's proving me wrong. A little stiff but he swarms Saenz when he gets the opportunity.

His striking still needs work, but he looked like a complete MMA fighter in there. Absolutely a threat for a lot of guys in the top 10.

Glad to see he has some power in his hands. Not always the case for many of the high level bjj guys that enter the UFC.

He put on a good performance, i sensed though that like a lot of grapplers who've transitioned to mma over the years, there's a sort of awkward 'disconnect' between 'striking mode' and 'grappling mode'.

Should watch Marcin Held's fight that same card and take notes: that's how you integrate shooting into an organic mma game plan.

Last edited:
Just goes to say how good Maia is, tanquinho couldn't hold down his opponent for more then secs, Maia takes you down, you ain't getting up.

It was a shame he couldn't hold down Saenz for even more than a few seconds. Maia is a wet blanket when gets a hold of you.

It's a very different skill set, and one that takes time to develop. When I started training MMA one of the biggest surprises was how hard it was to just keep people down when they didn't voluntarily engage in the pass/sweep metagame but rather just tried to get the hell up entirely. It's funny, I find BJJ people easier to pass in MMA than wrestlers because the BJJ guys will engage in the kind of game I'm good at whereas wrestlers when I get them down they just keep working to explode up and it's hard to ever get your passing going. Maia's MMA passing is based so much on pulling up on the legs to prevent the standup and taking the back in transition when they guy does start to get away that he makes it look easy, but it's not and it's a very different style than a sport guy like Tanq would have right out the gate.

Just goes to say how good Maia is, tanquinho couldn't hold down his opponent for more then secs, Maia takes you down, you ain't getting up.

Khabib is better at top game than Maia.

Khabib is better at top game than Maia.

No he's not. He's very different, but I'm not sure how you could be much better than Maia on top.

It's a very different skill set, and one that takes time to develop. When I started training MMA one of the biggest surprises was how hard it was to just keep people down when they didn't voluntarily engage in the pass/sweep metagame but rather just tried to get the hell up entirely. It's funny, I find BJJ people easier to pass in MMA than wrestlers because the BJJ guys will engage in the kind of game I'm good at whereas wrestlers when I get them down they just keep working to explode up and it's hard to ever get your passing going. Maia's MMA passing is based so much on pulling up on the legs to prevent the standup and taking the back in transition when they guy does start to get away that he makes it look easy, but it's not and it's a very different style than a sport guy like Tanq would have right out the gate.

Good points. In sport bjj when a guy is put on bottom, they usually accept it and set up a guard, set up a submission or wait for a reversal opportunity. You rarely ever see a guy just try to get back to their feet.

100%, it's very very different to grapple someone who only wants to get up (and has a cage to aid him) that someone who's actually willing to grapple on the ground.

Keeping your opponent down is a must skill to develop if you are doing Mma.

Last edited:
It was a shame he couldn't hold down Saenz for even more than a few seconds. Maia is a wet blanket when gets a hold of you.

Aren't the weights different too though? Maia fights at 170. Tanq fights at 135. Those lightweights can't hold each other down to save their lives. It's like ants, they can just shove 135 pounds off them like it was nothing. As you go up in weight people tend to stay down much easier.

Same reason why bottom game is awesome at 135 and sucks balls at 200+. Gravity wins faster than your strength increases. TDs and top control start becoming more and more important. At 135, you have to have monster grappling advantage to keep your opponent down in MMA.

Think he was impressive enough that Mackenzie would take him back?
nXQV0nj.gif

Back