Tall and Slender gear

Geoff Mud

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey all, so I've been going over the past posts that all talk about shorts for tall guys and longer shorts for tall guys. I've not tried too many shorts myself aside from the pairs I bought at kickboxing studios. The problem I seem to come across is that I too would like a longer pair of shorts (I'm 6'5" and most shorts look ridiculous on me because of the shortness) but I also would like some durability/flex in them... most times whenever I have to squat or make a hard kick/knee for any reason, I typically end up ripping the shorts because they don't flex enough. I've mostly been trying to wear extremely short shorts so that my whole leg is practically bare, but was hoping that there's some apparel out there that you all know of.

On a similar note, anyone have a suggestions for a reasonably absorbent but decent-fitting fighting shirt for tall, slender guys? It's a somewhat embarrassing thing, but I sweat like crazy when I do anything. So usually I have to wear a full tshirt and can't do the tanks, but tshirts fit pretty large on me and cause a lot of chafing and resistance when I'm fighting. Any suggestions from people who've encountered this?

Thanks a ton for any insights, but I'm mostly looking for lived experience, not just a suggestion based on what you've read on a store's website... I tried that several times, they lie, or often times you just don't know what apparel is going to do until you actually try it out.

Hello
I make custom shorts if you like
Though to make it worth your while you probably should get a pair of gloves as i can throw in 2 pairs of shorts without changing shiping costs. I have made shorts for several clients like yourself
At the moment i have gloves at 100 per custom pair plus shipping

Seems like you are new to combat sport and not familiar with what's out there?

Okay I will share my experience, years and years ago I started out with muay thai so the logical choice is to get thai shorts right?

Then like yourself, being a slim profile guy, thai shorts look kinda ridiculous on me, too short a bit like a skirt.

Anyway...

What you are looking for is mma shorts. They are much longer for first. made with excellent material that would last. (microfibre/polyester)

Further more, most of them have a flex panel, if you are not familiar with that.

For example:

UT8eNghXvpXXXaFIFrX8.jpeg

On this shorts, it's the black stripe between your crotch area. These are usually made with very elastic material that are designed for you to throw high kicks or high guard without any tearing.

Trust me, you won't rip those.

Some mma shorts don't have a flex panel, some being good without, some being bad without. Your safest option is to get one with a flex panel to start with, whatever brand it is.

Also the side split on the outer side of your shorts is going to help your high kicks without tearing the shorts as well.

Lastly, mma shorts are better than others because they can't be pulled down accidentally by a front teep or someone falling over and grab your shorts etc.

They are good for striking, high kicks, grappling, boxing, swimming...whatever sports you are doing, mma shorts can accommodate.

For years of training, I only had one thai shorts and hundreds of mma shorts, never look back on anything else but mma shorts.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll give the special order some thought, but maybe yeah I'll try out the MMA shorts with the flex panel first since you're saying they do flex a good amount. I kind of like the picture of the pair you put in your response iFossil... which model are they?

Thanks guys. I'll give the special order some thought, but maybe yeah I'll try out the MMA shorts with the flex panel first since you're saying they do flex a good amount. I kind of like the picture of the pair you put in your response iFossil... which model are they?

I think the flex panel is made out of spandex or something, very elastic indeed. I have no idea about the model, I just googled plain mma shorts and came up with that.

But I heard Cageside make these plain shorts with good reviews too. I haven't personally tried them, but you can give them a shot.

http://www.cageside.com/

I'm looking at the online stores for MMA shorts, and not all of the shorts seem to have the flex panel... at least the Hayabusa and some other big names don't seem to, but they keep getting mentioned as top-quality fighting shorts. Aren't they restricting? I did order a pair similar to those cageside ones, just waiting for delivery to come, so I'll give them a try and let ya all know for future reference how they work.

I'm looking at the online stores for MMA shorts, and not all of the shorts seem to have the flex panel... at least the Hayabusa and some other big names don't seem to, but they keep getting mentioned as top-quality fighting shorts. Aren't they restricting? I did order a pair similar to those cageside ones, just waiting for delivery to come, so I'll give them a try and let ya all know for future reference how they work.

All the Hayabusa mma shorts I am seeing on their site currently has a flex panel.

And Like I said it already 4 posts above- "Some mma shorts don't have a flex panel, some being good without, some being bad without."

I literally have 100 pairs of mma shorts, mostly Venums but I can tell you all that much, get the one with flex panel is your safest choice for the first pair.

Sounds great! Missed the part where you'd talked about some not having it. Thanks!

Back