Tales of Thailand

When i went to Thailand i had this awesome trainer who was an orphan raised by a monastary. He was real good, he showed me an old vhs of him losing a close decision to Jomhod. You find high level guys like that everywhere in Thailand.
That sounds interesting. I hear Buddhism is big over there. I'm not Buddhist but I'm fascinated by it. I have a Buddha in my room actually. I love seeing pictures of the temples

That sounds interesting. I hear Buddhism is big over there. I'm not Buddhist but I'm fascinated by it. I have a Buddha in my room actually. I love seeing pictures of the temples
Buddhism is a huge part of muay thai. All those weird rituals they do are about Buddhist spirits. Jwp talks about it on his podcast with Joe rogen.

Buddhism is a huge part of muay thai. All those weird rituals they do are about Buddhist spirits. Jwp talks about it on his podcast with Joe rogen.
Sean :eek::eek::eek:en has talked about them in his podcasts too. Who did you fight your first fight over there? I've read My best out come would be anoither foreigner like myself or a Taxi/Tuk Tuk driver

Sean :eek::eek::eek:en has talked about them in his podcasts too. Who did you fight your first fight over there? I've read My best out come would be anoither foreigner like myself or a Taxi/Tuk Tuk driver
I started at Bangla. Their tuk tuk drivers are elite. They all grew up kicking trees and we're completely unharmed from my hard leg kicks.

I started at Bangla. Their tuk tuk drivers are elite. They all grew up kicking trees and we're completely unharmed from my hard leg kicks.
Oh yikes. By the time I go I'll my probably only have 2-3 fights here in America. With this being such big deal there it put some us coming there behind because we haven't done it as much. Hopefully I'll find a good gym and get decent matches.

Healthcare is good and free for thai citizens. For a foreigner it costs so get an insurance that will cover healthcare costs.

You'll run a higher risk of getting infections compared to back in the US and also compared to other thais because you won't be acclimated. You'll probably be fine anyway

If you're serious about your training i'd recommend going to a gym in bangkok and staying at least 2 months. Don't go to tourist gyms there will mostly be other tourists and too many distractions

Healthcare is good and free for thai citizens. For a foreigner it costs so get an insurance that will cover healthcare costs.

You'll run a higher risk of getting infections compared to back in the US and also compared to other thais because you won't be acclimated. You'll probably be fine anyway

If you're serious about your training i'd recommend going to a gym in bangkok and staying at least 2 months. Don't go to tourist gyms there will mostly be other tourists and too many distractions

Thanks for the info. I was looking at Bangkok or Chiang Mai. I'm staying away from beaches. Is two months enough time for me to get settled/trained enough to take a fight? I'll also make sure to pack health care stuff or have someone from the states ship it to me so I can keep any wounds clean. I don't want an infection. When taking a fight what should I try and get?

Thanks for the info. I was looking at Bangkok or Chiang Mai. I'm staying away from beaches. Is two months enough time for me to get settled/trained enough to take a fight? I'll also make sure to pack health care stuff or have someone from the states ship it to me so I can keep any wounds clean. I don't want an infection. When taking a fight what should I try and get?
I guess you're training right now? Just try to be in decent shape before going there. Takes some time to adapt to running and training twice a day 6 days a week. Depending on the gym/trainer you can probably get a fight in 1 month. In 2 months yes, i think you would be "in shape" for a fight. Generally it's hard to match foreigners with an opponent of same skill level since they don't know anything about you... Maybe you'll get an out of shape thai or another foreigner with very little experience.

I guess you're training right now? Just try to be in decent shape before going there. Takes some time to adapt to running and training twice a day 6 days a week. Depending on the gym/trainer you can probably get a fight in 1 month. In 2 months yes, i think you would be "in shape" for a fight. Generally it's hard to match foreigners with an opponent of same skill level since they don't know anything about you... Maybe you'll get an out of shape thai or another foreigner with very little experience.

That's what I'm hoping for in the way of matches and I start my training tomorrow. I'm currently in college and want to go in 2019-2020 because I'll graduate spring of 19 or fall of 20. So I want to go there before I start my career. Then of course after I start and build up time off go back. I'm wanting to do it for the experience of it.

Do it man Thailand is great I've been there to train looking to have my first fight there in July or August when i get back.

Do it man Thailand is great I've been there to train looking to have my first fight there in July or August when i get back.
Awesome. I was gonna start training tomorrow but I lost my gloves and I need to buy new ones now so I gotta wait til Wednesday to start kickboxing. I'm annoyed af that I lost my gloves somewhere.

If you want to learn from youtube when not in the gym, watch Sylvie Van Douglas or whatever she is called on youtube for some proper training inspiration. Don't buy into all the hype tutorial videos on youtube. Sylvie trains with real former thai champions and the techniques they teach are legit . Most other videos on youtube are crap

FOUND THEM! Now I'm good to go! (I hate borrowing gloves and other stuff)
Awesome. I was gonna start training tomorrow but I lost my gloves and I need to buy new ones now so I gotta wait til Wednesday to start kickboxing. I'm annoyed af that I lost my gloves somewhere.

If you want to learn from youtube when not in the gym, watch Sylvie Van Douglas or whatever she is called on youtube for some proper training inspiration. Don't buy into all the hype tutorial videos on youtube. Sylvie trains with real former thai champions and the techniques they teach are legit . Most other videos on youtube are crap
Yeah I like her stuff. I like the Muay Thai Guy (Sean) and I've watched a few other people I like but I don't care for Fight Tips. I also enjoy watching fights on YouTube.

Yeah I like her stuff. I like the Muay Thai Guy (Sean) and I've watched a few other people I like but I don't care for Fight Tips. I also enjoy watching fights on YouTube.
Sean :eek::eek::eek:an isn't that good imo

Sean :eek::eek::eek:an isn't that good imo
I can agree with that. I mean I hate to be a shit talker but I don't think he's won a pro fight yet. Sylvie is always fighting or at the fights.

I can agree with that. I mean I hate to be a shit talker but I don't think he's won a pro fight yet. Sylvie is always fighting or at the fights.
He has won pro fights but my point is i'd rather watch the Sylvie videos where she gets instructed by THAIS than watching some randomnwhite youtube guy teaching. Sylivies videos are longer and more insighful. You can follow the process where her trainers correct her and showher the right way.

So I was reading in some blogs about Muay Thai and the writer was mentioning that the coaches over there tend to be money hungry. They pressure us forgieners to fight and such just so they can get their cut and don't particularly have our best interest at art. I know of course not all trainers are that way and aren't looking at us like money bags. How do you spot a trainer that just wants you for money and doesn't actually care about your well being?

So I was reading in some blogs about Muay Thai and the writer was mentioning that the coaches over there tend to be money hungry. They pressure us forgieners to fight and such just so they can get their cut and don't particularly have our best interest at art. I know of course not all trainers are that way and aren't looking at us like money bags. How do you spot a trainer that just wants you for money and doesn't actually care about your well being?
The standup forum has a thread on thai gyms.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/muaythai-gym-questions-and-answers.1055568/

You can pm the people that posted in there and ask them about the trainers at the gyms they visited

Back