Taking breaks from sparring

You definitely do not want to be taking repetitive hard shots on a weekly basis, or even monthly. I'm doing my bachelors right now in brain trauma, concussions and PCS and the more I see the more I regret the way I did it myself. Your ego wont save you from the damage down the road. I don't care who you are, if you spar (hard) enough, often enough you'll take damage. The brain is not meant to take hits over and over again. Some might be able to tolerate it better, but it'll show years down the road.

I myself have never been KO'd, but looking back I've probably had minor concussions dozens of times between the ego slugfest wars in the gym, and getting socker kicked in the face, jumped, and hit in the head with a brick (seperate occasions), and more, in street scuffles. I wish I could go back and train smart, but I guess having a strong chin is a detriment sometimes when you rely on it. That's before my PCS started kicking in for real a few years ago.

This is not to say that you should be scared of getting hit, not at all. Taking damage once in a while in a fight is no big deal, but you should train smart and not get tagged hard in sparring. It's accumulation and no rest that's worst usually. 3-4 times a week with legitimate contact is way too much. That's the thing, it's very hard to compare sparring as well, because sparring at a boxing gym and sparring at an MT gym is like two different worlds. Recovery is also a HUGE factor, and stressors as well. You need to let the brain rest. When you get concussed basicly it's a cascade of certain biomarkers and inflammatory signalling, like various cytokines, in your brain. The more you rest your brains metabolism, the better.

If you're feeling off, take time off from sparring. Relax, and when you do spar do more shadow sparring, body sparring or very light sparring. It'll save your career, and save you a lot of trouble.
Yup. How long do you recommend someone go no contact after 1 fight and 4 months of sparring 4x a week?
I know it all depends but you think 1.5 months is good?

And what do you suspect was the factors of your PCS being so bad?
Frequency of medium sparring or too many minor concussions without resting?

Yup. How long do you recommend someone go no contact after 1 fight and 4 months of sparring 4x a week?
I know it all depends but you think 1.5 months is good?

And what do you suspect was the factors of your PCS being so bad?
Frequency of medium sparring or too many minor concussions without resting?
Hmm how long depends. I mean, there's no definitive rule, but I'd say that 1,5 months is fine, depending on the contact level. Again, when you come back it's a matter of just keeping the hard shots you take to a minimum, whether that is more light sparring generally, or just focusing more on defense, or whichever. Take the time off and see how you feel, but you can still practice drills and get better. Maybe take the time to work on things you wouldn't otherwise, and as I said I'm a big proponent of shadow sparring, meaning you don't really make contact, but very light sparring focusing on specific things you want to work on works very well too. The upside to shadow sparring is that you can still go fast and the like. This is just in the meantime, and it might actually help your game.

Hard to say with me. I think it was probably more a matter of not resting my mind and body after concussions. Heck, even the day after I got a serious concussion and could hardly function I went down and sparred hard again. Also, I never really had a problem taking hits and my defense was piss poor, so that probably played into it as well.

Hope it's useful mate.

Hmm how long depends. I mean, there's no definitive rule, but I'd say that 1,5 months is fine, depending on the contact level. Again, when you come back it's a matter of just keeping the hard shots you take to a minimum, whether that is more light sparring generally, or just focusing more on defense, or whichever. Take the time off and see how you feel, but you can still practice drills and get better. Maybe take the time to work on things you wouldn't otherwise, and as I said I'm a big proponent of shadow sparring, meaning you don't really make contact, but very light sparring focusing on specific things you want to work on works very well too. The upside to shadow sparring is that you can still go fast and the like. This is just in the meantime, and it might actually help your game.

Hard to say with me. I think it was probably more a matter of not resting my mind and body after concussions. Heck, even the day after I got a serious concussion and could hardly function I went down and sparred hard again. Also, I never really had a problem taking hits and my defense was piss poor, so that probably played into it as well.

Hope it's useful mate.
Damn Sano. Why would you do that?? I thought everyone knew not to spar hard after getting a concussion

Damn Sano. Why would you do that?? I thought everyone knew not to spar hard after getting a concussion
Didn't think anything of it. I thought you could only get concussed if you were knocked out, and I was used to having headaches and some dizzyness after sparring. Basicly I was a dumbass, and the people around me who were supposed to be on top of it were too.

Been sparring about 3-5 days a week for almost 4 months now. Leave sparring sessions much different than before not quite concussed but you can tell the perceptions changed a bit, kind of like my chin or brain is just not recovered. I don’t know if it’s in my head or what, but it almost makes me not want to engage in sparring, just so I get hit less. Almost like a mental block. (I already don’t like getting hit as it is)

Anyone take a month or more off sparring? Maybe just one month right? Because I still want to improve and take fights, but in the mean time just grapple and hit the bag/mitts and drill more
Just do Thai style sparring for a month brah

Yeah i do from time to time. Its not healthy to do hard sparring every week. It might be fun. But not good for you in the long run. How many of us is gonna get rich from fighting? If its more or less a hobby or just a cool way for staying fit. Then dont give away your brain.

But dont stay away from hard sparring all the time. Because then you will miss out from the real side of fighting..

Been sparring about 3-5 days a week for almost 4 months now. Leave sparring sessions much different than before not quite concussed but you can tell the perceptions changed a bit, kind of like my chin or brain is just not recovered. I don’t know if it’s in my head or what, but it almost makes me not want to engage in sparring, just so I get hit less. Almost like a mental block. (I already don’t like getting hit as it is)

Anyone take a month or more off sparring? Maybe just one month right? Because I still want to improve and take fights, but in the mean time just grapple and hit the bag/mitts and drill more
Rest and recovery is important. After a break when you go in fresh you might be doin better then before anyway. Do train hard but don't hurt yourself.

I remember one time i woke up in my bed with the feeling of that someone landed a solid punch on me. That kinda scared me.

I remember one time i woke up in my bed with the feeling of that someone landed a solid punch on me. That kinda scared me.
plot twist: @Sano finally got to Norway and punched you in your sleep

Hard sparring 3-5 days a week? Maybe take a break from that frequency. I personally as a serious amateur but non-pro wouldn't spar hard more than once a week at most. Frankly at that frequency I'd think your sparring is probably robbing you of time better spent skills training, especially in MMA since there are so many skill domains to train.

Back