Taking advantage of boxing rules when sparring.

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the things that struck me, which isn't evident to someone who normally kicks and punches, is that when we go hands only in sparring, you can basically do whatever you want with your head. Side to side, down and up, because there is no way for your opponent to effectively punish elusive movement kept low, being limited to just his hands. If I did that against a kicker, he might even tagg me by pure chance!

Do you guys have trouble switching to more elusive movement in boxing sparring, because you are so used to the dangers of knees and kicks?

You can either compensate with blocks, footwork and pulls/slips or you can learn the dips and rolls that come along with boxing.

At the highest levels of boxing I tend to notice a lot of bending over at the waist and dipping to one side instead of a lot of rolling movement. Obviously they can do it all though.

Also my kickboxing gym had a lot of pure hands so doing the movements in boxing only sparring didn’t seem to be a problem. A lot of trial and error though

There's definitely ways to punish very low movement. One is to just lean on top of them, drains their legs very quick. If you want to dirty with it because the guy ur boxing is playing dirty, can also post with a jab (stiff arm) when they try to bend low (whether at the waist or squatting) and drop a right hand on the side/back of their head. In boxing I'm 90% sure the rule is: if the opponent puts themselves in a position where the strike will hit them in the back of the head that is thrown normally, its their fault. Here's an example

One or 2 right hands dropped on them like that and they will be hesitant to bend low again.then of course, an opponent who is bent low will have an issue with angular movement. Step around them, get an advantageous attack position and start letting them rip.

Lomachenko (of course is a boxing god so it's hard to imitate what he does) took full advantage of this against Rigondeaux - who commonly bends below the waist at an angle to avoid punches. U ever seen one of the greatest defensive fighters get hit with 8 jabs in a row? I have, because he bent too low. Rhyme intended.

There is a rule in amateur boxing that u cannot bend below the belt line tho because of the advantage, so yeah, without knees/kicks to worry about, bending low is a good way to avoid danger depending on the opponents skill level. Only problem is, when u bend below the waist there is no way to get in a position to fire back an effective counter yourself.

Fun fact: Floyd Jr's first loss in the amateurs was due to being disqualified for bending below the belt too many times. I don't think many people know that one.

Only problem is, when u bend below the waist there is no way to get in a position to fire back an effective counter yourself.

Question about that quote: Bending low isn't a way to get close for the inside fighter? Once there, short hooks and uppers aren't effective counters? I'm thinking obviously about Mike Tyson... And if I'm not mistaken, he even had that "jumping hook" counter from a distance, while still been low?

There's definitely ways to punish very low movement. One is to just lean on top of them, drains their legs very quick. If you want to dirty with it because the guy ur boxing is playing dirty, can also post with a jab (stiff arm) when they try to bend low (whether at the waist or squatting) and drop a right hand on the side/back of their head. In boxing I'm 90% sure the rule is: if the opponent puts themselves in a position where the strike will hit them in the back of the head that is thrown normally, its their fault. Here's an example

One or 2 right hands dropped on them like that and they will be hesitant to bend low again.then of course, an opponent who is bent low will have an issue with angular movement. Step around them, get an advantageous attack position and start letting them rip.

Lomachenko (of course is a boxing god so it's hard to imitate what he does) took full advantage of this against Rigondeaux - who commonly bends below the waist at an angle to avoid punches. U ever seen one of the greatest defensive fighters get hit with 8 jabs in a row? I have, because he bent too low. Rhyme intended.

There is a rule in amateur boxing that u cannot bend below the belt line tho because of the advantage, so yeah, without knees/kicks to worry about, bending low is a good way to avoid danger depending on the opponents skill level. Only problem is, when u bend below the waist there is no way to get in a position to fire back an effective counter yourself.

Fun fact: Floyd Jr's first loss in the amateurs was due to being disqualified for bending below the belt too many times. I don't think many people know that one.

Great post!
Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux gifs to illustrate your point:

vasyl-lomachenko-vs-guillermo-rigondeaux-12-moves-to-remember-3.gif.pagespeed.ce.zGzZ7nK8bu.gif

vasyl-lomachenko-vs-guillermo-rigondeaux-12-moves-to-remember-2.gif.pagespeed.ce.6XiZAdejyJ.gif

One of the best pure boxing counter the "croucher" or boxers who just bend far forward is Foreman vs Frazier. Foreman timed the uppercut perfectly a few times. Also, it was hard to eat Foreman's jabs

I find that high level couchers are the most difficult to face. It's hard to get a grip on what the guy is doing. Especially if boxing is not your base.

So that's why I decided if I can't beat them, joint them

One of the best pure boxing counter the "croucher" or boxers who just bend far forward is Foreman vs Frazier. Foreman timed the uppercut perfectly a few times. Also, it was hard to eat Foreman's jabs

Yes, but the problem is that without timing and 100% contact, it doesn't stop the guy. He gets tagged but I still don't feel in control, because he is not backing up.

I would much rather face a heavyweight in sparring with more static, predictable movement, than these explosive couchers!

It's never legal to punch the back of the head in pro boxing.

Question about that quote: Bending low isn't a way to get close for the inside fighter? Once there, short hooks and uppers aren't effective counters? I'm thinking obviously about Mike Tyson... And if I'm not mistaken, he even had that "jumping hook" counter from a distance, while still been low?

Bending low is definitely useful, weaving under punches and coming up, I'm talking about bending below the waist specifically, if you go too low u render urself ineffective. Leaning on top of guys that do that is a good strategy because most of them are using explosive energy in theirs leg so begin with, its an extremely exhausting style, so leaning on top of them breaks em down even quicker.

Granted, if ur facing the next Mike Tyson, then godspeed because no tips in the world can help you unless ur a world class boxer lol

It's never legal to punch the back of the head in pro boxing.

Well many things aren't legal, but aren't necessarily enforced either. It's also illegal to turn ur back/head to ur opponent. Like the Imam knockout I posted, They comment on it behind behind the ear and questionable whether its the back of the head, but then admit that the guy put himself in that position himself to be hit like that. KO Victory

Of course I'm not saying go out there and purposely hit ur opponent in the back of the head - its dangerous and not allowed for a reason. But if they are abusing the rules by bending low like that, then fire a right hand the way uve been taught and if they happen to bend or turn in a way that gives them the back/side of their head, that right hand will make them question whether to pull that move again.

Another good example of how bending below the waist can be punished - It severely limits movement and can allow an opponent to step around and land a punch u can't see (like Lomachenko did to Rigondeaux).

Last edited:
Yes, but the problem is that without timing and 100% contact, it doesn't stop the guy. He gets tagged but I still don't feel in control, because he is not backing up.
Sounds like you need to work on power a bit. People won't duck into too many uppercuts if you throw them hard.

Back