Takedown Tuesdays at Marcelo Garcia's in NY

grapplejuice

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
First I have to say it was an absolute pleasure getting to meet the grappling GOAT!!

Anyone who trains there regularly is a lucky so and so. It's a great environment, super friendly and everyone was welcoming and chill. Probably the coolest vibe aside from El Nino MMA in SF (because it's home!) and also Gil is cool as heck too.

Anyway, here's a vid I clipped doing some wrassling. Don't laugh bc I'm fat tho. Jerks. I was eating that good Halal out there. Good times.

So "halal" now signifies some kind of kebab-shop thing in NY, to the exclusion of its actual meaning? That's weird.

It's not weird, and Halal means "permissible" not per se "lawful", but in many parts of the world those two are one and the same. In terms of food, it means food that is permissible according to Islamic law. For a meat to be certified "halal," it cannot be a forbidden cut (such as meat from hindquarters) or animal (such as pork.)

This round I get the single leg in situation, as my sparring partner did in the other video. I can't emphasize enough how cool these guys are. If I ever relocate to the east coast it's going to be in this neighborhood for this reason alone.

So "halal" now signifies some kind of kebab-shop thing in NY, to the exclusion of its actual meaning? That's weird.

The proprietors want people to think the food is halal. So they mention it in their signage. At some point it has colloquially become a moniker for those stereotypical food carts/food trucks we have here in NYC.

Back