Take away PPV buys. Does LW really miss McGregor?

yes.
many LW's would like to beat him and many fans would like to see that.

I clearly did. You said Conor hadn't contributed much in terms of PPV buys because he'd only had one fight and I pointed out that his one fight generated more PPV buys than pretty everyone else in the division has in their entire careers.

Well read it again as that's clearly not what I said.

Take away PPV buys, LOL. Yeah, let's take away the only thing that keeps the UFC running and allows them to put on events and pay fighters in the first place, not like that would be important or anything.
Ur kidding right? The UFC would be just fine if they didn't have PPV, their advertisements and TV deals are way more than enough.

Colin has 1 fight at LW, in terms of talent pool the division doesn’t even notice he’s gone.

Yes I miss the entertainment he brings like no one else does in the LW division or any other division.

He only fought 2 LW fighters, Nate Diaz, fights were not even at LW and not that much relevant to the division, then Alvarez who had the belt at the time, but wasnt a dominant champion, or a Contender on a streak, he found himself with a title shot and made the best of it.

Conor is missed by the MMA fans and the UFC, not the division, the belt has changed hands and the guy that has it is arguably the best guy in the division, and if he isnt, there is already a line of contenders, Tony, Poirier, Lee or Eddie Alvarez to prove they are the best.

Last edited:
Sorry guys started watching MMA in 2017, who’s Conor?

When Jones and DC left the LHW division for different reasons it became a joke.

Gus is the only truly world class fighter in that division IMO. And he is very inactive.

LW on the other hand. Khabib, Lee, Ferguson, Poirier.

You can make several great fights between the 4 of them.

And the division is stacked overall as well.

So does LW miss Conor at the moment?
The Lightweight division, I believe, is the most depth-rich division in the UFC. It was the most stacked division before McGregor ever fought Alvarez, and it will remain that way regardless of whether or not McGregor returns. Jon Jones and Cormier are in one of the weakest divisions in the UFC, which is why their absence stands out.

The Conor boxing fight had its own subforum for over 6 months after the fight happened. That even then had threads added on a regular basis. Right now MMA in general just does not have anyone who would stir up the frenzy McGregor would if he opted to have a LW title defense this year.

Basically the whole division is on hold over a champion that is at best shy of defending his belt, that is not a good thing. Its not like McGregor will go on to defend his belt multiple times.

Basically the whole division is on hold over a champion that is at best shy of defending his belt, that is not a good thing. Its not like McGregor will go on to defend his belt multiple times.
That's all true; whether or not McGregor is still a huge deal is a separate issue from whether or not it's a good thing that he's this big of a deal. Given that we can only really count on a McGregor return if he somehow ends up blowing much of the fortune he's made, I'm also inclined to think it's not necessarily a blessing that he's still such a focal point. But to counter it, someone will need to come along with more advanced skills and athletic attributes and find a way to improve on McGregor's blueprints for fight promotions.

LOL@ the dummies who think Conor won't be missed.

Who has generated more excitement both outside and inside the cage than Conor? Who builds up a fight better than him? And who actually delivers more than Conor?

I swear, I've been following MMA for 18 years and I've NEVER seen a saltier group than Conor haters.
GSP
Brock
Jones
Fedor
Just to name a few.

But to counter it, someone will need to come along with more advanced skills and athletic attributes and find a way to improve on McGregor's blueprints for fight promotions.

McGregor blueprint has less to do with fighting and more to do with creating a "hip-hop" persona to sell his fights. Social media is at full in all sports and for the worse in my book, some athletes get more attention than they deserve simply because they know how to promote and people are willing to engage in that gimmick.

He's not the champion. Don't try to claim that he is.

He's the last fighter to beat the reigning champ, I know he has been stripped due to not defending, that's what I meant by "yada, yada", sorry for the confusion, yada fucking yada and namaste.

Take away PPV buys, LOL. Yeah, let's take away the only thing that keeps the UFC running and allows them to put on events and pay fighters in the first place, not like that would be important or anything.
conor hasnt fought in 2 years and they are still around...so wtf are u even talking about?

LOL, Mcgregor's one fight at LW generated 1.3 million buys. PPV buys for Ferguson vs Lee at was 125,000. Mcgregor added more in value from one fight than Ferguson would in 10.

Do people hate Mcgregor so much they're just going to try and deny reality, now? You guys are in a really bad place...
What has the UFC done with that money to increase our pleasure as fans?

They aren’t putting on better fights, paying there athletes better.

Why do you feel so much ownership of a statistic that means fuck all?

Thing is, those PPV buys somewhat reflect him bringing excitement. He's breaking record buys because he's both the most exciting fighter and the best talker. The rest of UFC's Irishmen aren't big draws, very few FW/LW's have been. The LW div would still be strong, but it would lose its most exciting talent, which is a blow to any division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back