Taijutsu

Withhold your judgment for a year or so. He just saw the light recently (after a few decades of mandancing). If he's really astute, he'll train his physical athleticism (which a certain level is needed to be barely competent in frontal violence). If he doesn't show improvement after that, you can write him off.
No the guy sucks.

He's better suited for needle point.

It would be cool if @EDGM I think that's his tag would take a look at that guy. He's trained a bunch of Aikido from a school back in MA that had some crossover with our Judo club. I think he said his technique developing IQ helped him reach BJJ Purple in a couple of years...something like that.... The Nage No Kata was developed at the request of Kano Sensei by Tomiki Sensei and added to the Kodokan, so at one time it had a ton of quality. The guy I trained with is a dual Judo/Aikido BB and has super slick Ukemi and Waza and he doesn't do all the stiff formal stuff for his Nage No Kata, he just walks you down so you have to attack. I know that doesn't count, but I can't see Jessie bumbling around like that YT guy in a no gi grappling match. He falls over without even being taken down like he has no sense of where his balance is!

I did a curiosity binge to see if there was any MMA Aikido and these guys from England came up. I guess the art isn't all twirling around breaking peoples wrists in huge dramatic throws with cat like smoothness, but maybe a type of Jui Jitsu philosophy of maximum efficiency with the least amount of energy like theJudo Nage No Kata. Looks like the Ellis guys from England have translated Aikido into a MMA system and this kid looks a billion times more capable than that bumbling YT guy.

No the guy sucks.

He's better suited for needle point.

It would be cool if @EDGM I think that's his tag would take a look at that guy. He's trained a bunch of Aikido from a school back in MA that had some crossover with our Judo club. I think he said his technique developing IQ helped him reach BJJ Purple in a couple of years...something like that.... The Nage No Kata was developed at the request of Kano Sensei by Tomiki Sensei and added to the Kodokan, so at one time it had a ton of quality. The guy I trained with is a dual Judo/Aikido BB and has super slick Ukemi and Waza and he doesn't do all the stiff formal stuff for his Nage No Kata, he just walks you down so you have to attack. I know that doesn't count, but I can't see Jessie bumbling around like that YT guy in a no gi grappling match. He falls over without even being taken down like he has no sense of where his balance is!

I did a curiosity binge to see if there was any MMA Aikido and these guys from England came up. I guess the art isn't all twirling around breaking peoples wrists in huge dramatic throws with cat like smoothness, but maybe a type of Jui Jitsu philosophy of maximum efficiency with the least amount of energy like theJudo Nage No Kata. Looks like the Ellis guys from England have translated Aikido into a MMA system and this kid looks a billion times more capable than that bumbling YT guy.

Where's the aikido in that? In BJJ when you demonstrate an established technique, you go from position -> setup ->finish which is basically a kata. When you roll the same manifests, there's minimal divergence from kata to sparring. Same with boxing. Where the hell was the aikido kata - derived technique in the video? None: Sprawl and ground grappling are not in the aikido syllabus, so is a high roundhouse kick. This aikido translated to MMA is pure hogwash.

Put it this way: a pure weapon arnis practitioner learned MMA and fought. It's stupid to say that it's arnis translated to MMA if said guy does not show the footwork, strikes, defences and principles of arnis. And tapi-tapi works as well as wing chun in MMA: it's for shit. Empty hand arnis? Good luck if your lineage haven't studied boxing and other striking styles.

So your anecdote about @EDGM (if you remember his name correctly): does his techniques have derivations from aikido kata? That's why a wristlock done by aikidoka (even though most of the BJJ training was the factor in enabling him to make it functional) is often said to be functional aikido: it's very distinct. Not so much with the video you posted.

Where's the aikido in that? In BJJ when you demonstrate an established technique, you go from position -> setup ->finish which is basically a kata. When you roll the same manifests, there's minimal divergence from kata to sparring. Same with boxing. Where the hell was the aikido kata - derived technique in the video? None: Sprawl and ground grappling are not in the aikido syllabus, so is a high roundhouse kick. This aikido translated to MMA is pure hogwash.

Put it this way: a pure weapon arnis practitioner learned MMA and fought. It's stupid to say that it's arnis translated to MMA if said guy does not show the footwork, strikes, defences and principles of arnis. And tapi-tapi works as well as wing chun in MMA: it's for shit. Empty hand arnis? Good luck if your lineage haven't studied boxing and other striking styles.

So your anecdote about @EDGM (if you remember his name correctly): does his techniques have derivations from aikido kata? That's why a wristlock done by aikidoka (even though most of the BJJ training was the factor in enabling him to make it functional) is often said to be functional aikido: it's very distinct. Not so much with the video you posted.

Yeah, I'm not an Aikido expert having never practiced the art but I didn't see anything Aikido, or even Aiki Juijitsu. I do Hapkido with a lineage that's only two instructors removed from the founder of the art (my coach -> his coach -> founder of the art). The guy who founded Hapkido and Ueshiba had the same instructor (Takeda Sensei). So even with that knowledge I couldn't really discern anything familiar to the movements of Aikido or its parent arts. Not even the very specific striking methods. Dude won with a ole fashioned round kick to the dome. Definitely not Aikido or Aiki Jujutsu.

Don't know dude, I googled and scrolled around and found that. They-the Ellis's- say they're doing Aikido, like I said a JuiJitsu based philosophy not a set in stone set of techniques. Maybe you'd have to research to see if it had striking somewhere in its background, idk? I guess I could say your BJJ "position->setup->finish" is really my Judo Ne Waza cause mine out date's yours....I'm not, but poking your logic. There might be more to Aikido than you or I see other than the fancy big throws since it, my Judo, your BJJ all came from common roots....

Whatever, that YT guy looks like a bumbling Muppet at whatever he does and I wouldn't want him representing any art other than to say "Hey, even if you have zero athletic talent, you can learn to do some basic techniques" kind of thing. We've all trained with those kind of guys over the years and they all never get good, drop out or whine about how injured they all the time while lording over the new students, avoiding the hard tough training it takes to excel.

Sry I'm so "mean" as to point that out but the guy's a goofy Muppet.

Is there a large market for bullshit yoga that doesn't make you any more fit or flexible but can just get you injured?
Yes

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know dude, I googled and scrolled around and found that. They-the Ellis's- say they're doing Aikido, like I said a JuiJitsu based philosophy not a set in stone set of techniques. Maybe you'd have to research to see if it had striking somewhere in its background, idk? I guess I could say your BJJ "position->setup->finish" is really my Judo Ne Waza cause mine out date's yours....I'm not, but poking your logic. There might be more to Aikido than you or I see other than the fancy big throws since it, my Judo, your BJJ all came from common roots....

To clarify: Jujutsu (the medieval Japanese kind) is a ruleset designed for survival in the battlefield and in streetfights. Then you have these various schools of Jujutsu (which is their interpretation of the best way to win in the ruleset of jujutsu). These are styles of Jujutsu. In the same vein BJJ is the ruleset, Gracie jiujitsu, 10th planet jiujitsu, etc. are the styles aka their preferred way to win. Judo is a ruleset, within it are many personal styles. Not everyone has uchi mata and de ashi barai as their tokui waza. MMA is a ruleset.

Aikido is not a ruleset, it's a style of jujutsu. It has their preferred ways to win, one of which is the wristlock. Most of these preferences were created and codified by the founder/creator; in aikido's case it's Ueshiba. Of course you can create your personal style, but the measure of mastery of the style lies in the ingraining of the preferences and methods of the said style. That doesn't happen with the video you posted. And I've never seen a working aikido video that has crucial similarities with aikido kata (which is the creator's way of teaching the preferences and methods of the style). In boxing (which is a ruleset) you can see the D'Amato style in two of his students: Floyd Patterson and Mike Tyson. Both have obvious similarities, while aikido kata and the video you posted have not.

Whatever, that YT guy looks like a bumbling Muppet at whatever he does and I wouldn't want him representing any art other than to say "Hey, even if you have zero athletic talent, you can learn to do some basic techniques" kind of thing. We've all trained with those kind of guys over the years and they all never get good, drop out or whine about how injured they all the time while lording over the new students, avoiding the hard tough training it takes to excel.

Sry I'm so "mean" as to point that out but the guy's a goofy Muppet.

The main point is that you pointed out his problem, then offered a solution (these aikido-MMA hybrid) that has a high chance of wasting his time and effort. No similarities to aikido as far as I can see, why not let the guy go lift some weights and stay at the BJJ gym he current learns from?

To clarify: Jujutsu (the medieval Japanese kind) is a ruleset designed for survival in the battlefield and in streetfights. Then you have these various schools of Jujutsu (which is their interpretation of the best way to win in the ruleset of jujutsu). These are styles of Jujutsu. In the same vein BJJ is the ruleset, Gracie jiujitsu, 10th planet jiujitsu, etc. are the styles aka their preferred way to win. Judo is a ruleset, within it are many personal styles. Not everyone has uchi mata and de ashi barai as their tokui waza. MMA is a ruleset.

Aikido is not a ruleset, it's a style of jujutsu. It has their preferred ways to win, one of which is the wristlock. Most of these preferences were created and codified by the founder/creator; in aikido's case it's Ueshiba. Of course you can create your personal style, but the measure of mastery of the style lies in the ingraining of the preferences and methods of the said style. That doesn't happen with the video you posted. And I've never seen a working aikido video that has crucial similarities with aikido kata (which is the creator's way of teaching the preferences and methods of the style). In boxing (which is a ruleset) you can see the D'Amato style in two of his students: Floyd Patterson and Mike Tyson. Both have obvious similarities, while aikido kata and the video you posted have not.

The main point is that you pointed out his problem, then offered a solution (these aikido-MMA hybrid) that has a high chance of wasting his time and effort. No similarities to aikido as far as I can see, why not let the guy go lift some weights and stay at the BJJ gym he current learns from?
Still a goofy Muppet, LOL!

I thought JuiJitsu was a philosophy of least expenditure of energy for the maximum effect. Not a system of technique's. But what the fuck do I know.

https://judoinfo.com/balance/

Still a goofy Muppet, LOL!

I thought JuiJitsu was a philosophy of least expenditure of energy for the maximum effect. Not a system of technique's. But what the fuck do I know.

https://judoinfo.com/balance/

So pushing a nuclear button counts as jiujitsu? I mean, it's very minimal expenditure, only the fingers move.

So pushing a nuclear button counts as jiujitsu? I mean, it's very minimal expenditure, only the fingers move.

Depends on if you count the Manhattan Project to build and sustain nuclear capability to start with.

Depends on if you count the Manhattan Project to build and sustain nuclear capability to start with.

That ain't minimal energy expenditure. Many brain cells were fried doing that.

Thing is most JJJ and ninjitsu have fake lineages. Most are probably a mix of karate kung-fu and maybe some judo. So the guys never even from the beginning really knew how to teach nor implement the art. Add years or larpers and it just gets worse. Apparently with the ninja boom in the eighties a lot of karateka just started wearing black gis and said it was ninjitsu.

Thats because Aikido doesnt work. Its basically movement built around the philosophy of its "master" and was never shaped by people trying to execute the moves in fights. I did clinch sparring up against high ranking practitioners and as soon as you stopped playing their game it was over. An entire different thing with Aiki Jutsu. Very rare to meet a competent pracititioner in that but if they are in general much more competent. Have counters against defense /offense, seemingless combine blocks with submissions, much more varied skills and techniques to finish fights.

Aikido is as beneficial to fighting as tango dancing. Both still may have some benefit in footwork but even there I would prefer tango.

Please tell us about these "Aiki Jutsu" practitioners. With sparring videos if possible.

Sigh, another anecdote...

Sigh, another anecdote...

What do you expect? All the TMAs consist of anecdotes. Its 90% he said , she said. Try to do a clinch sparring with some Aikidoka / Tai Chi whatever and record it. This will be denied near every time. Thats the reason I decided to call it quits back then.

I wrote positive about Aiki Jutsu but gym politics in that dojo were equally bad. You take out the competition factor and get delusional people. Its not really different nowadays. I am sure if we would met personal and train there would be no misunderstanding.

What do you expect? All the TMAs consist of anecdotes. Its 90% he said , she said. Try to do a clinch sparring with some Aikidoka / Tai Chi whatever and record it. This will be denied near every time. Thats the reason I decided to call it quits back then.

I wrote positive about Aiki Jutsu but gym politics in that dojo were equally bad. You take out the competition factor and get delusional people. Its not really different nowadays. I am sure if we would met personal and train there would be no misunderstanding.

Where is this "Aiki Jutsu" you're referring to?

<{clintugh}>

Anything even remotely connected to ninjutsu should be avoided like the plague. It's the martial arts version of LARPing. And as the old joke goes, LARP stands for, "Losers And Rejects Party":rolleyes:

Last edited:
After watching 5 on 5 team MMA, which I think is retarded, that will show you any traditional martial arts that teaches you to deal with multiple attacks is bullshit. The best defense against multiple attacks is to use a weapon, or run.

Back