Taekwondo...

Manimal87

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey Guys... Does techniques like flying/jumping knee and lowkicks exist in ITF or other styles of taekwondo?

Thx

Not in competition. But some school (speaking for ITF) may teach them for the self defense aspect. At least low kicks and regular knees...Never done jumping knees in TKD.
But it's a very small part of the program. You won't get a fair amount of training time on them.

You should probably look for other arts like MT, K1 style KB or some Karate styles.

They do, but you'd have to find some hermit TKD word of mouth instructor that had come up under some of the old Korean national war vets who immigrated in the 50's.

It would have to be a lineage line so rare as to be non existent in the U.S now.

that type of techniques are mythical beasts in tkd. everyone have heard of them still practiced by some obscure old-school dojangs, but noone have actually seen them taught or practiced.

Probably, but you're not going to find one without extreme difficulty.

How about the cartwheel kick.... Is he part of TDK or teached?

when i did karate and tang soo do we learned low kicks but they were front kicks to the knee that we werent supposed to use in competition or sparring.

Theres some schools that have it but its not very common so its better to look for other styles that teach it commonly

that type of techniques are mythical beasts in tkd. everyone have heard of them still practiced by some obscure old-school dojangs, but noone have actually seen them taught or practiced.

Lol, I'm sure you're an expert. Knees, elbows and low kicks are part of all ITF schools.

They do, but you'd have to find some hermit TKD word of mouth instructor that had come up under some of the old Korean national war vets who immigrated in the 50's.

It would have to be a lineage line so rare as to be non existent in the U.S now.

Or you just join an ITF or of-shoot school.

Please tell me this is going to evolve into some hot steamy troll on troll action.

Hey Guys... Does techniques like flying/jumping knee and lowkicks exist in ITF or other styles of taekwondo?

Thx
I am an ITF and WTF black belt - 5th degree. The simple answer is yes, these techniques absolutely exist in taekwondo. In the ITF curriculum, these techniques are standard. For example, many ITF schools teach low kicks as a part of their hosinsul curriculum (self-defense). Are these techniques used in open point or Olympic sparring? No. People talk crap on TKD all day long, due to its sparring, not realizing that the Koreans view it as a game and designed it as such. However, many TKD master's learned plenty of techniques that are applicable in other environents and use cases. My ITF training was similar to shotokan karate and hapkido. My WTF was basically sports/Game based.

I am an ITF and WTF black belt - 5th degree. The simple answer is yes, these techniques absolutely exist in taekwondo. In the ITF curriculum, these techniques are standard. For example, many ITF schools teach low kicks as a part of their hosinsul curriculum (self-defense). Are these techniques used in open point or Olympic sparring? No. People talk crap on TKD all day long, due to its sparring, not realizing that the Koreans view it as a game and designed it as such. However, many TKD master's learned plenty of techniques that are applicable in other environents and use cases. My ITF training was similar to shotokan karate and hapkido. My WTF was basically sports/Game based.
What were the low kicks like exactly. In tang so do we only did straight kicks to the knee. do they teach roundhouses to the legs in itf?

Back