Taekwondo Rising in popularity?

That depends on how good the streetfighter is with his "swimmer" technique.

When you strike you are already supposed to not keep you head up, but more downwards facing. Naturally your chin is more protected that way. And when you swim, you shoulders come up to the face. That is already good technique. So the swimmer has some pretty good things he can already build upon.

One word, Uppercut

I believe you missed my point.
yeah, probably did...Working on music editing all day and my brain's fried.

TKD was developed after the Japanese occupation of Korea out of Shotokan lineages. The Koreans obviously put their own "spin" on the system they'd learned.

If I'm right even Shotokan came originally from Okinawan systems that were the roots of JJJ...To brain fried to remember or look it up right now.

If you go back far enough, or get a source lineage you'll find common heritage in TKD and JJJ.

But you gotta go to the source not the McAmerican dojo crap. Real traditional lineage shit.

yeah, probably did...Working on music editing all day and my brain's fried.

TKD was developed after the Japanese occupation of Korea out of Shotokan lineages. The Koreans obviously put their own "spin" on the system they'd learned.

If I'm right even Shotokan came originally from Okinawan systems that were the roots of JJJ...To brain fried to remember or look it up right now.

If you go back far enough, or get a source lineage you'll find common heritage in TKD and JJJ.

But you gotta go to the source not the McAmerican dojo crap. Real traditional lineage shit.

I should clarify, you can find an ITF school that is super traditional and that's basically shotokan. But WTF I consider a combat sport or game, in the same way I don't consider wrestling and boxing martial arts but rather combat sports. All just semantics, but WTF is very different from trying to kill someone with your bare hands. It's a game. That's not a bad thing or an insult, it's just the purpose.

I'd say MMA first discredited TKD and TMAs in general so many ppl left. But then TMArtists started cross-training and some of their best actually had some success in MMA (ex. Machida) so TMA kinda got its cred back. So ppl came back.

I'm pretty sure Karate got a popularity boost in Brazil after Machida got the LHW belt.

I should clarify, you can find an ITF school that is super traditional and that's basically shotokan. But WTF I consider a combat sport or game, in the same way I don't consider wrestling and boxing martial arts but rather combat sports. All just semantics, but WTF is very different from trying to kill someone with your bare hands. It's a game. That's not a bad thing or an insult, it's just the purpose.

Not true. Shotokan kicks are chambered with the practitioner leaning forward (or not not leaning at all!) , TKD leaning back/to the side. Shotokan tactics are also completely different, geared towards a point fighting, stop-system. And is rigid, and spends less time on kicks.

And Shotokan has a completely awful fighting record historically. Beginning with the Bruce Lee era, continuing with Joe Lewis and the first Kickboxing (Full contact Karate) match, in which he specifically handpicked top Shotokan guys due to their arrogance, and got one master to accept and Koed him quickly

The problem with assessing TKD is that there are so many variables. What style? ITF, WTF, ATF, ATA...? These vary from the old military styles that are abbreviated and hard hitting to pure sport.

Then there are the differences in the individual schools. They vary from fairly traditional to nothing more than high-impact aerobics classes.

I've studied TKD for 37 years (Moo Duk Kwan and ITF). The best thing that I can tell you when considering TKD is to check out the dochang, the instructors, and the style thoroughly. Make sure that it is delivering what you need. I mean it. Really do your homework.

Which patterns does a Moo Duk Kwan school teach?

I had the luck to work in a resort and sleep very close to a sports hotel. There were a lot of clubs, organizations and what not comming to train different sports and martial arts this summer there.
I observed all of their training and competitions when I could. The most I was impressed by the Russian Judo federation which organized a competition for girls. These girls were amazing and their work outs pretty decent. Bad for them that all of these girls looked fat and like a female version of a wrestler - huge girls.

I saw 3 clubs doing TKD. Honestly nothing impressive there, beside their ability to stretch legs. The huge guys were winning the majority of the spars.

Few karate clubs too, one of them was staying at the hotel I stay and they even invited me for a work out after seeing my interest in them and how I study them. I remained super respectful and was trying to learn from them. I have done some karate as a kid. They also had a competition and belt grading. All finished with a spar between two guys who looked pretty terrible to be honest. The bigger guy won as he was overwhelming the smaller guy with his body punches. But in general a pretty bad spar anyone who has trained boxing, MT or KB for 6 months could give these new black belts a run in their spars.

Not true. Shotokan kicks are chambered with the practitioner leaning forward (or not not leaning at all!) , TKD leaning back/to the side. Shotokan tactics are also completely different, geared towards a point fighting, stop-system. And is rigid, and spends less time on kicks.

And Shotokan has a completely awful fighting record historically. Beginning with the Bruce Lee era, continuing with Joe Lewis and the first Kickboxing (Full contact Karate) match, in which he specifically handpicked top Shotokan guys due to their arrogance, and got one master to accept and Koed him quickly
Benny the jet was a shotokan black belt and named his style "kempo shotokan." I think he knows its a good martial art.

Last edited:
only some of it can be useful and you have to train really hard on those things to make them useful its like a big waste of time better used elsewhere

Benny the jet was a shotokan black belt and named his style "kempo shotokan." I think he knows its a good martial art.

Kempo Shotokan and Shotokan is no the same thing. And the fact speak for themselves: no pure Shotokan stylist ( Machida was not a pure Shotokan guy, he had extensive Sumo and BJJ background) has ever won a challenge match of any decent quality.

Kempo Shotokan and Shotokan is no the same thing. And the fact speak for themselves: no pure Shotokan stylist ( Machida was not a pure Shotokan guy, he had extensive Sumo and BJJ background) has ever won a challenge match of any decent quality.
ok and some pure tkd guys who have are.....

ok and some pure tkd guys who have are.....

General Chois ITF demonstration team in the 70s took on all challengers. Shotokan is a rigid, inflexible system and in my opinion the Aikido of striking arts. And that's mostly due to the culture of how it's trained.

All you guys mentoning Machida seem to neglect that he implemented his grappling in most of his wins, including over the Kyokushin Kai Sam Greco. Things like opposition matters in the scorecards even if he didn't submit them. And when he faced a decent thai stylist in Shogun, lost both times (the first decision win was a joke).

General Chois ITF demonstration team in the 70s took on all challengers. Shotokan is a rigid, inflexible system and in my opinion the Aikido of striking arts. And that's mostly due to the culture of how it's trained.

All you guys mentoning Machida seem to neglect that he implemented his grappling in most of his wins, including over the Kyokushin Kai Sam Greco. Things like opposition matters in the scorecards even if he didn't submit them. And when he faced a decent thai stylist in Shogun, lost both times (the first decision win was a joke).
oh yeah? got any video of how those fights went down?

Back