Taekwondo Rising in popularity?

higginz92

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
So nice and easy first post in a while..

Is it just me or is Taekwondo rising in popularity? Seems like from my point of view seeing Muay Thai everywhere now its TKD. From FightTips to even my local area gyms are becoming more and more popular with TKD.

I don't mean your 2 classes a week at a school hall either, I'm talking full set ups with dummies and mats. The whole deal..

Have any of you had experience with TKD, tell me about it and your thoughts on It becoming more popular.

Haven't seen it full emerging, but some techniques are used. Front snap kick to the gut, back kicks are more frequent.

I actually use a TKD type headkick, and not the regular thai shin swing. I did TKD long time ago when I was in highschool, and was decent at headkicks then so I'm more accustomed to doing it that way. I can also get more range using the instep over the shin for that kick so I'm fine with it.

As for popularity, if MT/KB is mainstream, finding anything to get an edge is welcomed.

Marching/Crescent kicks are secret op.

You heard it here first folks.

Tons of skill to learn from TKD mobility.
If you think about it tactically it takes more skill to drop dudes with only your feet so the quality of technique needs to be exceptional

I'm not saying don't train your hands, I'm saying doing some down and dirty TKD lower body flexibility, mobility and technique building can only add tons to your game!

I love seeing Yair bringing the goodies to MMA!

TKD is very useful. TKD and boxing combination is the best of both worlds in terms of kicking and punching.

Muay Thai is great in the clinch with short range shots like knees and elbows.

Kickboxing is....very mellow in my opinion. Not a lot of depth.

Kickboxing is....very mellow in my opinion. Not a lot of depth.

wonderboystephen1000.jpg

I'm not sure about "rising in popularity" As it stands now i believe TKD is still the most popular martial art in the United states, although 99% of that is from the after school mcdojos.

That being said, it's my opinion that TKD is probably the most underrated striking art for full contact fighting.

Been training tkd for a little over a year, and i can't believe I've been missing out on this training in so many years of fighting. The mobility, flexibility, balance, technique and timing you learn are unmatched. It's boxing for you feet.

I am by no means an authority on Muay Thai, however in my experience with mt, a lot of time is spent drilling combonations and working pads. In comparison a lot of TKD practices involve flexibility, leg and hip development, timing and foot work development as much as practicing kicks. I've spent entire tkd sessions doing nothing but working on timing, or working leg strength and flexibility, or working footwork. Like I said TKD is like boxing for lower body fighting.

Last edited:
TKD obliterates MT in kicks. MT obliterates when clinching is allowed. MT isn't even a kicking style compared to TKD, it's a style that uses kicks like every other TMA.

#inflammatory post

It still popular with children. I thought MMA would kill TKD, and all the TMA, but it has not.

It still popular with children. I thought MMA would kill TKD, and all the TMA, but it has not.

TKD is not TMA. It's either a combat sport or a game or.. I don't know. But there is nothing traditional about TKD. It has just about zero in common with something like JJJ.

I'm not sure about "rising in popularity" As it stands now i believe TKD is still the most popular martial art in the United states, although 99% of that is from the after school mcdojos.

That being said, it's my opinion that TKD is probably the most underrated striking art for full contact fighting.

Been training tkd for a little over a year, and i can't believe I've been missing out on this training in so many years of fighting. The mobility, flexibility, balance, technique and timing you learn are unmatched. It's boxing for you feet.

I am by no means an authority on Muay Thai, however in my experience with mt, a lot of time is spent drilling combonations and working pads. In comparison a lot of TKD practices involve flexibility, leg and hip development, timing and foot work development as much as practicing kicks. I've spent entire tkd sessions doing nothing but working on timing, or working leg strength and flexibility, or working footwork. Like I said TKD is like boxing for lower body fighting.
I've been trying to say that for 20 years! I went from Judo in my teens and early 20's to TKD and kickboxing for 10 years then back to Judo. The speed, timing and flexibility are unparalleled and even though I only Randori at seminars now and don't regularly compete I train with guys 15 years younger and 15 years less miles on them with ease. My Judo is more Japanese JuJitsu because my fight IQ is thinking striking defense/offense as well as grip.

As I said above it takes more skill and practice to drop dudes with only your feet!

Once MMA fully grasps the power and accuracy of kinetic energy martial arts principles it will elevate the sport exponentially!

Glad guys like you are discovering the wealth of ability development from good legit TKD training!

TKD is not TMA. It's either a combat sport or a game or.. I don't know. But there is nothing traditional about TKD. It has just about zero in common with something like JJJ.
Wrong do your homework....Or train ether for 5 years or more.

Both TKD and Samurai JJJ are kinetic energy based MA meaning they use distance and travel to generate power through manipulation of your body mechanics.

Do some research!

Wrong do your homework....Or train ether for 5 years or more.

Both TKD and Samurai JJJ are kinetic energy based MA meaning they use distance and travel to generate power through manipulation of your body mechanics.

Do some research!

I believe you missed my point.

TKD is "an almost useless martial art" - Joe Rogan

but Joe says a lot of dumb shit

I know I know he was TKD state champion or whatever, yet he still comes across as close minded, I am a boxer first and foremost but even I know TKD has a lot of useful techniques

But when you fight under specific ruleset, you only learn to fight in that specific ruleset. It is not that much better.

Only if you think that specific ruleset applies to an anything goes situation,, street fighting some guy who does the "swimmer" technique, you know, head down windmilling, isn't going to teach you jack shit, in fact it might give you a falsee sense of confidence beating up on no hopers, whereas striking with someone who is a good striker, grappling with someone who is a good grapler, will improve you overall

Only if you think that specific ruleset applies to an anything goes situation,, street fighting some guy who does the "swimmer" technique, you know, head down windmilling, isn't going to teach you jack shit, in fact it might give you a falsee sense of confidence beating up on no hopers, whereas striking with someone who is a good striker, grappling with someone who is a good grapler, will improve you overall

That depends on how good the streetfighter is with his "swimmer" technique.

When you strike you are already supposed to not keep you head up, but more downwards facing. Naturally your chin is more protected that way. And when you swim, you shoulders come up to the face. That is already good technique. So the swimmer has some pretty good things he can already build upon.

Back