Synthetic Weed 85 times more potent than THC made with rat poison is spreading across the country

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Synthetic cannabinoids, laced with rat poison, tied to fourth death in Illinois
By Jacqueline Howard, CNN | April 25, 2018​

170821182057-synthetic-weed-2-large-169.jpg

A fourth death in central Illinois has been connected to synthetic cannabinoid use, the Illinois Department of Public Health reported Tuesday.

Since March 7, synthetic cannabinoids have sickened 153 people and been blamed in four deaths: a woman in her 30s, a man in his 40s and two men in their 20s.

Synthetic cannabinoids across Chicago and parts of central Illinois have been found to contain brodifacoum, a rat poison, according to state health officials.

Earlier this month, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned about life-threatening bleeding linked to the use of synthetic cannabinoids, often sold as spice, K2 or fake weed. A CDC "outbreak alert" noted that there were some bleeding cases also in Indiana, Maryland, Missouri and Wisconsin.

Now, the number of hospitalizations and deaths is continuing to climb.

"We continue to see new cases of individuals experiencing severe bleeding after using synthetic cannabinoids," Dr. Nirav Shah, director of the Illinois Department of Public Health, said in a written statement Tuesday.

"Like so many other drugs, synthetic cannabinoids are addictive and people are not able to give them up. Alternatively, they think that it won't happen to them because they know their dealer or trust wherever they purchased the drugs," he said. "If you know someone who uses synthetic cannabinoids, tell them these are deadly products and try to help them get treatment."

The US Attorney's Office charged three men with federal drug offenses and accused them of conspiring to sell synthetic cannabinoids at a Chicago convenience store, in connection with some of the cases.[/quote]

Synthetic cannabinoids are human-made chemicals that can be sprinkled on dried, shredded plant material and smoked or consumed as vaporized liquids inhaled through an e-cigarette or other device.

Although these mind-altering chemicals are called cannabinoids, since they are designed to be similar to the chemicals found in marijuana, their actual impacts on the brain and body are much more powerful. They can cause serious side effects that are different from those of marijuana.

One study of a synthetic cannabinoid, published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2016, found that it was 85 times as potent as tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the mind-altering chemical in marijuana.

Since the synthetic cannabinoids in Illinois were found to contain rat poison, most of the hospitalizations have been related to unexplained bleeding, such as coughing up blood, blood in the urine, bloody nose and bleeding gums.

A chemical in rat poison prevents blood from clotting, causing the severe bleeding, according to thestate health department.

Health officials warn that anyone who has a reaction to synthetic cannabinoids, such as severe bleeding, should call 911 or be taken to an emergency department immediately.

To treat the bleeding, doctors use high doses of vitamin K, up to 30 tablets a day for up to six months, which can help restore the blood's ability to clot.

Since this rising number of cases calls for a large amount of vitamin K and long duration of treatment -- costing up to thousands of dollars for each patient -- the Illinois Department of Public Health announced that it's working to find a way to place no financial burden on patients tied to the synthetic cannabinoids outbreak.

The Bausch Foundation, the charitable organization of Valeant Pharmaceuticals, donated nearly 800,000 tablets of vitamin K to the department.

"This donation will allow every individual who has experienced severe bleeding, as well as any future cases, to receive lifesaving treatment free of charge," Shah said in a separate news release Monday

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/25/health/fake-weed-four-deaths-illinois-bn/index.html?no-st=1524682549

Last edited:
Whats wrong with regular grown weed?

Never understood why people go synthetic, does it not get detected on tests or something?
Cheaper?

Spice has been know to be bad for you for years.

I had a feeling this was gonna happen when they popped JWH, but damn.

Legalize it people. The thing about research chemicals is that you can change one small component and then you have an entirely different derivative that flouts the law. You CANNOT ban them all. People are going to do the shit anyway, might as well make it the real thing instead of some shit that might put you in a coma.

Last edited:
Never understood why people go synthetic, does it not get detected on tests or something?
Cheaper?

Can't speak for everyone else but I did it about 4-5 times before I stopped. I could stop at the store right by my apartment after work and get it easily. It's a pain calling my dealer, setting up a time or maybe I have to wait till he's off work. At the end of the day while it's kind of like it's weed it's not, and I noticed I could smoke to much and feel really fucking weird.

My Boss's sister apparently smoked it and it permanently fucked her up. I forget how exactly but from what they said it was basically like she was a paraplegic now.

Forgot to add that this girl I was banging said her husband and his friends smoked it because they had jobs at the plants and get randomly drug tested.

Last edited:
Cheaper?

-Drug tests
-Sometimes stronger highs depending on the compound
-Not in a legal state or lack of supply

I've dabbled with AL-LAD in my riskier days and I swear on my life you could put it up there with some of the better acid trips i've had. It's scary what you can concoct in a lab these days.

Last edited:

Cheaper?

I'd venture to say its due to America's never ending failure of a "war on drugs". A combination of outrageous penalties for the real thing, making it riskier to get (IE having to find a drug dealer as opposed to going to the corner liquor store) makes a small amount of people turn to these synthetics.

I don't consume marijuana so I can't comment on the price of "synthetic" to real but I would venture to say the synthetic is probably cheaper. Anecdotally, I have to assume it is cheaper. My dead beat sister in law used to use synthetic even though she also smoke real pot, in addition to molly and other party drugs. So I can only assume she used it because it was cheaper. And I thought I read that the high is more "intense" or somehow different which would be another reason. But I have never used so once again I will have to defer reply on that.

Cheaper?

I'm sure the reason bolded in the OP is plenty enough reason for the druggies looking for a new height.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprise if most of those who got hospitalized had no idea the new high that their dealer promised with the "new and improved" weed would come with such danger.

I'm sure the reason bolded in the OP is plenty enough reason for the druggies looking for a new height.

I can almost guarantee you that they're not smoking synthetic weed for the "stronger high". They have strains out there that will put you on your ass in a hot minute, not even getting into shatter which can reach close to 100% THC extraction. Weed isn't like cocaine or heroin, there's no dragon to chase. Get too high and you go to sleep.

Haven't been to the US in some time, but here in Canada you can buy weed from dozens of stores in big cities, no questions asked. Not so in the states?

I can almost guarantee you that they're not smoking synthetic weed for the "stronger high". They have strains out there that will put you on your ass in a hot minute, not even getting into shatter which can reach close to 100% THC extraction. Weed isn't like cocaine or heroin, there's no dragon to chase. Get too high and you go to sleep.

But are those awesome strains easily obtainable all over, like in remote rural places? I can stop at a gas station in the middle of corn country and get these synthetic "bath salts" and stuff. I'm not sure if some 18 year old hanging out in his pick up truck in a farming town could get his hands on the finest stuff in CO or CA as easily.

Generally curious on your opinion if that might have something to do with it?

But are those awesome strains easily obtainable all over, like in remote rural places? I can stop at a gas station in the middle of corn country and get these synthetic "bath salts" and stuff. I'm not sure if some 18 year old hanging out in his pick up truck in a farming town could get his hands on the finest stuff in CO or CA as easily.

Generally curious on your opinion if that might have something to do with it?

Maybe I was unclear, that's what I meant. It's an issue of supply instead of druggies doing druggie shit imo. I think that this wouldn't be a problem if the supply existed, which is why I think federal legalization is a huge deal. The selling point of K2 way back was that it got you stoned and you didn't pop on drug tests. Nobody was smoking it because we really enjoyed it. If we could have gotten some fire and chiefed it up, we would have gladly chose that.

This thread goes a long way of showing that opinions on weed are still a touch antiquated, even if well meaning. Not dogging anyone, just means more education is needed. And by education, I mean bogard the spliff for a hot minute lel.

People try that garbage when they can't get the real thing, just another unintended consequence of our idiotic prohibition of Marijuana.

85x stronger? Holyshit.

I mean if they fix the whole rat poison shit........I wonder if it will give you a similar high to regular THC except 85x stronger, which sounds badass tbh.

Won't try tho, fuck that.

So they're allowing this to be sold for a reason some faction of the government is probably funding the manufacturing of synthetic weed themselves.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprise if most of those who got hospitalized had no idea the new high that their dealer promised with the "new and improved" weed would come with such danger.

He bolded a lot of crap that can be done with regular weed.

If you are talking about a stronger high thats a by-product of dosage, not potency.

EDIT

Forget it, its clear now.

Back