Swivel Needed For Heavy Bag Setup?

moonlightdrive2

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 110 pound heavy bag with chain and no swivel (bag hangs from the ceiling in my basement). Is a swivel really needed? What's the difference if you don't use one? Also, I have a heavy duty spring - should I use that also? Thanks!!

Most chains would have a swivel. I'd recommend a chain w/swivel. Also - most of your commercial gyms will use a spring as it can add to the life of the bag.

What bag did you wind up going with?

Most chains would have a swivel. I'd recommend a chain w/swivel. Also - most of your commercial gyms will use a spring as it can add to the life of the bag.

What bag did you wind up going with?

Thanks for the info. The questioning about the swivel is for my existing/older bag, which is a Powair water bag. As for the bannana bag, I decided to go with the Windy since this is the only one that I saw and used in person and know it is excellent from first hand experience. Though I could swear the bag is like 8 feet long!! It's listed as 6 feet, but the one at my gym stretched a lot! It's on the way to me now and I should be getiing it in a few days.

IMHO you don't need a swivel for any heavy bags. I don't like the feeling of hitting one that does. Hooks that come up a bit short give it too much spin for my taste. I just use a lag bolt Eye hook with a heavy duty replacement link for height adjustment.

I like having a swivel on all my bags so when you hit them the chains/nylon straps don't twist up. I think it's just alot smoother to hit a bag with a spring and swivel.

Hey guys bumping an old thread. Does this look like a good chain and swivel to you?

Back