Switching from Muay Thai to Boxing

Leanback is a dangerous move, that's why they teach it in more advanced classes, and not at beginners. But they don't teach slips at all. Most of the guys that used it, picked it from cross-training box or Kbox. Slips are not a basic technique in MT, nor an advanced technique. And there are reasons for that. Again, some times it may work, and some people may use it a lot, but its like me saying why don't boxers use techniques from Prince or R Jones... It's not usable for the average boxer as slips are not usable for average Nak Muay (and even champions).

MT is around for some years now, they know what is working and what's not. Yes, there are some stuffs that are kept for tradition, some stuffs are kept for the gamblers, but even those have a logical useful explanation. I don't mind when people are asking why bob and weave, or slips, or Philly shield are not used in MT. But been a 6 month novice, acting like they know better than all the krus with years and years of experience, its getting old after a while. (to be clear i don't mean you, i' ll gladly exchange views with people like you).

It's like all those new MMA guys, going to boxing gyms, and ask them why they don't do stuff there like Connors does...
I understand your point of view and I have a lot of respect for MT. It's a beautiful and skilled sport.

I feel like there is room within MT for slightly different approaches. Not radical, but different nonetheless. I know it's very traditional, but looking at someone like Dieselnoi and Samart, you see very different skillsets within the same sport. Most Thais don't practice a lot of slipping, and it's true that it's not a necessity within the format. There are other ways to deal with punches effectively. My contention is that, that doesn't mean that head movement, adapted for the format, is not valid at all in MT. I hate to sound like a broken record, but I've already pointed out a few guys who have used it well at the highest level. It's not a necessity, but it can work very well. To that end it is a personal prefence.

I feel one of the reasons it is not used has as much to do with culture, tradition and ruleset as it has to do with the effectiveness. It does seem like it's turning a bit again, and that more Thais are supplementing with boxing, right? Just like the golden age. Maybe you can educate me a bit more on that.

I mostly agree with you in general, because your a talking about small adaptation, and not huge changes. But I just want there to be a voice of the opposition, so that novices don't just read: You can use slips in MT, all you have to do is just train them, make some adjustment and voila: You can easily be the next Samart .... It's not that simple, and there are valuable reasons why.

I feel one of the reasons it is not used has as much to do with culture, tradition and ruleset as it has to do with the effectiveness. It does seem like it's turning a bit again, and that more Thais are supplementing with boxing, right? Just like the golden age. Maybe you can educate me a bit more on that.

I'm probably not the best guy for that (it may be because i refuse to acknowledge those kind of fighters, and my mind just block them out). But some people in the MT/KB sub-forum are very knowledgeable about those kind of stuffs...

If you want to avoid unexpected kicks (or knees) to the head, it is.

This is blatantly wrong. C'mon man, this is the striking forum. Even the staunchest kick supporters wouldn't advocate a stationary head in the middle. No one is saying you need to Pernell Whitaker bend in half with your face barely off the canvas, just not be a stationary punching bag.

When I switched. I had to relearn stance. Coach wanted weight roughly 80 percent on back foot. The combos are a lot longer. I wasn't used to throwing long combos with hands only. I almost never throw uppercuts in muaythai but I use it a lot in boxing

Not sure it's ironic that bare knuckled guys had their hands low...seems like they threw lots more body shots back then and you could probably break hands easily on a forehead.

Bare knuckle fighters would even intercept blows with their forehead straight on, closing the distance before the punch had reached its maximum power.

This is blatantly wrong. C'mon man, this is the striking forum. Even the staunchest kick supporters wouldn't advocate a stationary head in the middle.

That's why God invented something called footwork.

That's not the point. He dropped the kickboxing mechanics from their first close encounter and used straight up boxing instead, and while he was succesfull initially he was eventually headkicked. I don't think he would ever be in a position to be headkicked like that if he didn't insist on trying to outbox Jones, which was a foolish strategy.

The slip didn't cost Cormier anything. It was like the Rockholt Bisping Ko fromt he first fight. Jones went to the body often over many rounds until Cormier put both his arms down to his waist to block. He just blocked wrong.
His style standing up was the same as in any of his fights and in his first fight with Jones. he just became more aggressive and better at cutting off the cage.

Putting your hea doff line when punching has a 99% chance of success.

First of all when you punch at the same time as your opponent logically no kick can follow because he's also punchign so putting your hea doff center is always good.

When you fuck up your timing or your opponent baits you into slipping off center while punching then it is still amatter of inches. You don#t throw your head all the way to the side you slip by a little a possible. It makes a small differenc eif a kick comes that way but only a small one compared to standing straight up.

And then you can still have your other hand up to block and absorb a t least a bit of the kick's force.

Of course people have been getting caught while slipping. Just as people have been caught while standing straight. Sometimes it only happened because they slipped. But at least as often people only get caught because they stand straight up-.

Slipping is high reward- low risk. Not no risk but nothing is not even simply standing still.

YOu post extreme examples of big slips and headmovement most slips mixed with ducks and extreme headmovement even for boxing standards. Most people can't get away with it even in a pure boxing match. It shows absolutely nothing but a lack of udnerstanding of boxing

His style standing up was the same as in any of his fights and in his first fight with Jones.

Cormier threw 0 kicks in 3 rounds. He adopted a boxing style, which worked somewhat until his distancing got fucked up and he got kicked in the head. But I still say no strategy for him works against Jones. It's a hopeless match-up. Cormier can usually rely on his wrestling getting the job done, but not here.

Created footwork on a separate day than he created kickboxing, apparently

<NoneOfMy>

Tss. To claim all boxers have good footwork is akin to no politicans recieve blowjobs. I've seen fat heavyweight pro boxers about as stationary as my refrigator. Can't punch to save their lives either, so even that's not 100% universal.

Cormier threw 0 kicks in 3 rounds. He adopted a boxing style, which worked somewhat until his distancing got fucked up and he got kicked in the head. But I still say no strategy for him works against Jones. It's a hopeless match-up. Cormier can usually rely on his wrestling getting the job done, but not here.

Cormier threw a handful of kciks in the first fight or in any other fight.

Him not kicking wasn't a major difference compared to his other fights. He could have kicked maybe he should have I guess he was scared of Jones taking him down as Jones showed he could in their first fight.

He has never ever been a kicker and always more of a boxer not only in his rematch with Jones.

Cormier made a fundamental mistake when he got headkicked he tried to block the kick but did it completely wrong probably because of exhaustion, fear of body kicks and because fuckups happen.

Yes he won't ever beat Jones. He tried to strike more in this fight because he tried to wrestle in their first fight but all it did was exhaust him which is what he said after his first fight with Jones. He did better than in their first fight but so did Jones. Maybe Cormier's reflexes are also slower than when they first fought.

Him not kicking wasn't a major difference compared to his other fights. .

Yes it was. He didn't mix things up enough. To say dropping kicking is not a major difference is insanity. You thrown out two perfectly capable limbs in a freestyle fight, and you're not the best boxer in the world...

Yes it was. He didn't mix things up enough. To say dropping kicking is not a major difference is insanity. You thrown out two perfectly capable limbs in a freestyle fight, and you're not the best boxer in the world...

He barely threw any kicks in the first fight either. What are you even talking about. he didn't went from being Barboza to becoming RobiN Roosmalen. He threw very few single kicks in their first fight.
he did better in the rematch up until the Ko. maybe he would have done even better with a few kciks thrown in but that's not the point. Throwing kicks had nothing to do with him getting kicked in the head.
You miss the point that Cormier did BETTER in the rematch than in their first fight up until the headkick.

not true. he threw some leg kicks

not true. he threw some leg kicks

Nothing midsection or above. I noticed right away his change of tactics and was quite puzzled why he was limiting himself in that manner. I happen to think DCs kickboxing is underrated.

Tss. To claim all boxers have good footwork is akin to no politicans recieve blowjobs. I've seen fat heavyweight pro boxers about as stationary as my refrigator. Can't punch to save their lives either, so even that's not 100% universal.

I'm still awaitng a reply so I can pull some clips of boxers stiff like refrigerators:) Had enough of the Kickboxing bashing.

you will need to get used to 1 minute breaks as well, as it is 2 minutes in muay thai?

you will need to get used to 1 minute breaks as well, as it is 2 minutes in muay thai?

Nope it's 1 minute in MT as well.

I appreciate all the feedback this thread has gotten, even though it got a little sidetracked. I guess a good follow up question would be (that was already somewhat answered), what are some beneficial habits I'll pick up in boxing that I'll be able to adopt for Muay Thai?

No. 2min for rounds. The break's still 1 min.

Most orgs. are pretty consistent, the only one I saw that was odd was a MMA one here: 90 sec break. I could go to McDonalds pick up an order and come back in time for the next round.

Nope it's 1 minute in MT as well.

I appreciate all the feedback this thread has gotten, even though it got a little sidetracked. I guess a good follow up question would be (that was already somewhat answered), what are some beneficial habits I'll pick up in boxing that I'll be able to adopt for Muay Thai?

Punching distance, footwork, ring control, hand speed, head off the line when striking, sitting down on your punches.

Its not exclusive to boxing or MT, but those stand out for transferable skills

Back