Switch Online Service.

Not impressed. Paying 20 bucks a month for old ass games again, saves being a paywall, and no real voice communications between other players.

I am disappointed no voice chat (other than the app). At least give some sort of messaging system

Not impressed. Paying 20 bucks a month for old ass games again, saves being a paywall, and no real voice communications between other players.
Thought it was $20/year

I'm reading that it's $20 per year, not per month. Either way Nintendo is screwing themselves with this... as you mentioned the way they're doing communications is just absurd.

$20 per year wouldn’t be bad if the NES library was bigger.

Seems like they’re ditching the Virtual Console as well so they can push this service.

Kind of lame for how many classic games you have access to, but $20 a year is dirt cheap. I wasn't originally planning on picking up the service since I'm already paying out to PS+ and Xbox Live, but the price is pretty enticing.

I'm workpwnt so I can't read the article, does it say anything about game rotation? If it's similar to PS+/XBL where as long as I add the game to my library I can download whenever I want, I'll pay in when the service launches in September. But if you only have access to games for a limited window of time I'll pass on the service all together.

Do you think we'll get more details on the Switch's online service in the coming months?

I saw people complaining about the price which was pretty shocking. If a $1.66 a month is to much for you then you need to take a look at the life decisions you made. It has cloud saves so that's all I wanted from Nintendo so I'm glad. My switch just has to survive until then so I can upload my saves and not be worried about losing all my saves.

Should have had some SNES titles also, did anyone expect anything else from this company though?

They are targetting kids with the likes of the carboard thing, and trying to attract old school gamers, but i would imagine that less than 10% of people who used to play the NES will actually own a Switch.

I own a switch, and my kids are not interested in the slightest in playing NES games, now they have played SMW and other SNES games, and they would be interested in those titles!!

Yeah they took away the virtual console.

But with the slew of indie game companies flooding into the Switch library I think they wanted to make sure they didn't cannibalize sales from them with the Virtual console. My guess is Nintendo wants to look forward to new games and not backwards with old games on the switch. Last thing they want is gamers buying virtual console games instead of newer indie or other games on switch.

I see their reasoning behind it.

What I do not see is why they're not working on better communications for us... damnit Nintendo...

$20 a year is nothing, and by having it I'll get to play Splatoon 2, Super Smash Bros, Monster Hunter XX and the upcoming Pokemon game online. I do hope they implement some kind of messaging system between friends though. I don't mind the voice chat through the app thing (have done it plenty of times with Splatoon, it works just fine), but I'd like to be able to message all the random friends I've made by playing the game since I have way of communicating with them.

Dedicated servers for the online would be big too.

As for no Virtual Console, what they said was no plans currently for it. I feel like at some point they'll add it.

Back