Switch kick

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by future_king, Mar 20, 2017 at 3:36 PM.

1. future_king White Belt

future_king
    For some reason my switch kick feels off. I'm relatively new to it all, and I land some effective hits with it, but I don't feel I have anywhere near as much pop or speed with that switched leg as I do just throwing straight roundhouses. A little hip stiffness on that side might be the problem but I'm not sure , Help please!

2. ARIZE Yellow Belt

ARIZE
    Will be hard to tell without a video... But most of the times, it's just a lack of training for the "bad" side... ( I suppose it's not the switch movement, but the kick itself been the problem)
    Just train it. You can start your kicking techniques with the bad side instead of your good one, so you are less tired when training it. Try to use it more in sparring. At the end of the class, just do some heavy bag with it... Just train it more...

You can also try to compare your technique in slow motion in front of a mirror... see how much you turn, how is your pivot foot etc in comparison to your good side.

3. a guy Black Belt

a guy
    If you start switched, can you throw the kick ok? That will tell you if it's the footwork of the switch or the mechanics of the actual kick that are the problem. So if you're orthodox, instead of throwing switch kicks, start southpaw and throw your left kick. If you can do that with balance, speed and power then you need to work on the footwork to make sure it's fluid and you're getting into good position to kick from without moving too much. If you can't kick from southpaw well then you should isolate that and work on the kick from that side for a bit then add the footwork in later.

One technical note, make sure you're springing off the kicking leg when you switch. Almost like you're loading it on the ground then letting it bounce off. It's hard to explain, but when you feel it you'll know what I mean.

Jimmy H likes this.
  4. Frode Falch Professional Fighter

Frode Falch
    It feels off because you are relative new to the technique. As you say.

shincheckin likes this.
  5. Hotora86 racist belt

Hotora86
  6. CFGroup Blue Belt

CFGroup
    Probably in the footwork. Try drilling the kick with a hop first till you are launching the kick right when you land. The goal is to be fluid like that when you switch your stance so the kick is launching.

It's a coordination thing that you need to subconsciously know because if your thinking of it "Switch stance, now kick" it's to late. Your technique needs to be faster than your thought process. There's a zillion examples like that the higher you progress.

Drill baby drill!

7. shincheckin Orange Belt

shincheckin
    you may want to try learning the kick from southpaw position first. This will make the switch easier.

a guy likes this.
  8. Ilk White Belt

Ilk
    I want to steal the topic a bit and ask how do you do a lead switch kick when your previous hit is with a lead hand? It obviously takes to much time for non experienced like me to do all that movement.

9. Frode Falch Professional Fighter

Frode Falch
    If you are close enough, you can switch with the jab or hook. So you are already done with the switch when you throw the kick.

If you are out of reach, then you do a full step instead.