Zhang finishing Andrade avatar
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Swearing Improves Strength and Stamina, Says New Study
By Nick English
May 8, 2017

https://barbend.com/study-swearing-increases-strength/

From the article:

...it was found that power output was four percent higher among the group with dirty mouths.

Again, they were asked to choose a neutral or a swear word, and it was found that those who cursed while they gripped were about eight percent stronger on average.

The participants were asked to swear in a “steady and clear” tone as opposed to an emotional shout. The study author Dr. Richard Stephens thought that swearing would cause an increase in heart rate and other mechanisms related to the “fight or flight” response, but it turned out he was wrong. He told The Independent that his results could be because cussing helps to distract our minds from the discomfort.

Unfortunately, most of my training environments would not be very tolerant of a lot of swearing while training.

The USAPL doesn't allow swearing, and I train at home where it's frowned upon.

I've trained with Scot Mendelson at his gym in Sherman Oaks. Dude was intense and cussed like a sailor, even in front of his kids.

That being said, he was one of the nicest and down to earth individuals I've ever had the fortune to train with.

Last edited:
I come from a knightly lineage, so swearing in public like that would be unbecoming of me.

However, online I enjoy the occasional dirty talk.

Who knew?

Last edited:
It's been shown to increase pain tolerance. Good to have confirmation of it again though.

I swear a lot (under my breath) when working out.

Example: "Get up there, motherfucker!" when trying to get one last rep of a bench press completed.

It probably does help strength.

But it's probably just gonna help when your mind needs to be gritty, intense and tough.

Probably gonna be a detriment to the athlete in a precision type sport.

It probably does help strength.

But it's probably just gonna help when your mind needs to be gritty, intense and tough.

Probably gonna be a detriment to the athlete in a precision type sport.

Don't think so, I bet I could shoot you from a distance whilst calling you a C*nt.

Back