Surviving in Combat Sports youtube series:

On a slightly related note, how do taxes work for pros?

This is one of the biggest reasons boxing has been against instant - replay.

lol yes i was going to link the same thing in my post but decided not too. so some of those shots werent even hard shots, just shots. its like why not just drop your hands, eat a big hook, take a dive and get paid. how can they determine you faked it, if you take a BIG shot. I think its will be hard for them to determine what is fake vs what is not unless its blatantly obvious. no?

Episode 2.

perfect example is my bro Kevin, you know who I'm talking bout, his first pro fight was against a guy who was 0-6-1 azzamat on a bigger stage,

didn't at all paint the picture of a guy with hundreds of amateur fights, could apparently punch very hard & could score ko's in sparring, who had never been stopped & went the distance with David Benavidez (the only opponent he hadn't stopped at that time), got a draw with another touted amateur prospect in their debut all (most at least) opponents were undefeated prospects. He ended up getting a draw (of course he didn't show the skills we know he has, in the rematch with him he dropped him almost stopped him and toyed with him) but for a first fight against a supposed 0-6 fighter.. it is much deeper than that. That guy shouldn't be matched up with anyone for their pro debut lol

I remember Floyd jr called him & apologized for the opponent

Last edited:
Regarding glory I agree with you, but this is Murica and Muricans dont know shit about MT, so the most popular thing is glory kickboxing rather than MT. I can somewhat be on board with them limiting the clinch to keep it active for the fans, I can see where Glory is coming from, but I dont think the elbow should be removed. I think they should allow the elbow, but have it similar in the sense that if the clinch is not active, break it quickly. Having elbows will produce more cuts and blood, which will be great for the just bleed fans. Regarding my channel, thanks dude I am glad you like it.

Kinda going off topic now, but have you been been watching the Muay Thai fights over in One FC? They've basically entered a bunch of their Thai trainers into kickboxing and Muay Thai fights, and the latter use modified rules where elbows, clinches, and sweeps are all allowed but they gotta keep the action going. It kinda ends up being a showcase for the Thais, but well, let's face it, there's not much non-Thai competition for top of the food chain guys like Nong-O.

perfect example is my bro Kevin, you know who I'm talking bout, his first pro fight was against a guy who was 0-6-1 azzamat on a bigger stage,

didn't at all paint the picture of a guy with hundreds of amateur fights, could apparently punch very hard & could score ko's in sparring, who had never been stopped & went the distance with David Benavidez (the only opponent he hadn't stopped at that time), got a draw with another touted amateur prospect in their debut all (most at least) opponents were undefeated prospects. He ended up getting a draw (of course he didn't show the skills we know he has, in the rematch with him he dropped him almost stopped him and toyed with him) but for a first fight against a supposed 0-6 fighter.. it is much deeper than that. That guy shouldn't be matched up with anyone for their pro debut lol

I remember Floyd jr called him & apologized for the opponent

Yeah Aza is no pushover. Dude is tough as nails and knocked Daijon down by hitting him on the shoulder.

Kinda going off topic now, but have you been been watching the Muay Thai fights over in One FC? They've basically entered a bunch of their Thai trainers into kickboxing and Muay Thai fights, and the latter use modified rules where elbows, clinches, and sweeps are all allowed but they gotta keep the action going. It kinda ends up being a showcase for the Thais, but well, let's face it, there's not much non-Thai competition for top of the food chain guys like Nong-O.

just watched that whole fight......i havent sat down and watched any fights for a while now, ill probably watch more once i start fighting again. Im on board with this keep the action going thing. Would be nice if glory incorporated it, although I guess if they brought the elbows in. it wouldnt be kickboxing anymore.

it seems like MMA has taken over the whole world. I dont even watch it aside from the mcgregor fights. I much rather watch muay thai or boxing than MMA. I dont find it very entertaining at all. All the stuff on the ground is just boring to watch. I think the reason its so damn popular here in the US is because all the UFC Bros are behind it and amazed at their small gloves. Plus there is the whole fashion thing behind it. Theres no boxing or MT fashion. MMA is like the Mullet of martial arts. Bros can tell everyone how tough they are because they train UFC. not to hijack your thread but it really bugs me how the whole world has gone MMA.
I'm going to have to pm you some MMA fights with entertaining ground work.

If anyone wants to see exciting ground work that's EXTREMELY technical try to dig up Sakuraba vs. Newton. Those mofos weren't idle for one second.

Watching Usyk doing the reballdo like he does in this clip made me wonder if that's how you teach your students to do it. I remember you saying it was they warm up before fights now. Its starts around 4:30

Okay, so pretty soon I'm just gonna pull the trigger on this idea. A very candid few minutes, starting out will likely be bi-weekly and if it does well, weekly. I'll be discussing how to function in Combat Sports, because over all that's the biggest line of questioning we get here and likely happens in many other forums around the web. Our Sports have become such niche Sports that people don't honestly know what to make of the goings-on, or how to handle them. And I'm just gonna be very straight up about it, because anyone who has followed my posting for the last decade plus understands that's just me. I was honest about every time I got my ass kicked in my own thread, I'm gonna be honest now.

So this is what I'm gonna do. I'm going to let you all help decide the first 12 topics. That's 6 months worth of subject material. I will leave this thread open until about Saturday or so, which is significant for me because that's the day 4 of my Elite team members head out to Tennessee for the Eastern Qualifier National tournament. Feel free to debate among yourselves the topics you'd like discussed the most, and once I close the thread I'll review it and record the first episode.
I'd be very surprised if you agreed to talk about this in details but it would be nice to have some insight on the use of performance-enhancing drugs in the boxing world. I'm especially curious about the percentages of pros and amateurs who take PEDs, what PEDs are the most effective, how not to get caught and if PEDs are absolutely needed to succeed.

I'd be very surprised if you agreed to talk about this in details but it would be nice to have some insight on the use of performance-enhancing drugs in the boxing world. I'm especially curious about the percentages of pros and amateurs who take PEDs, what PEDs are the most effective, how not to get caught and if PEDs are absolutely needed to succeed.

There's no way to even accurately guess the number of people that do it. But I can do a VERY controversial episode on how I view PED's. It'll get many a pair of panties in a bunch.

Watching Usyk doing the reballdo like he does in this clip made me wonder if that's how you teach your students to do it. I remember you saying it was they warm up before fights now. Its starts around 4:30

I can dream that he saw my video and started doing it with footwork and defense, can't I?

+ 1 for the Boxing question.

I love boxing not the basic striking you see now days but the complexity of the system, its barely taught anymore.

Sad:(

But lets go deeper:
  • Trained coaches and sparring partners
  • Martial Art conditioning ... ancient / traditional / contemporary/ new development methods
  • Rules and Reg's to avoid continual blows to the head and open wounds
  • Advanced Kicking and striking abilities and techniques
  • Research and studies UFC Performance Institute
  • Healing and Recovery ... ancient / traditional / contemporary / new development methods
  • Referee training and development and their roles

I can go on here but you see where I am coming from and heading with the above statements.

Last edited:
How do head hunters even afford to travel from gym to gym like that? I imagine they have to travel pretty far to hit gyms they have never been to. Boxing gyms are not like BJJ or karate places that are dime a dozen in any city.

Also how many people participate in the tourney you are at?

Episode 3, @zapataxiv, this is all you:

Sadly it happens :(

Sometimes its just as you said intense sparring (Tread with Caution Though), but I would say to that you both have to agree to the intensity of sparring if not then you should respect your partner always.

Also upon entering a gym you should sign a legal waiver or contractual agreement of the rules and responsibilities before sparring in the GYM.

Most Fitness Gyms, Dojo's, Kwoons, Centers have a Creed / Code of Conduct / Practice or even an Official Legal Statement.

Examples:-

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

bushido-virtues.jpg

e725ef4b159d9c115d2f52137b52f9cc.gif

As a student you swear to the honor code to obey it and uphold it!

If you don't obey the code of conduct, you would be banned, shunned, stripped of your rank and position!

I love what Mike Tyson said hard lesson in life that we learn..............

a8d5fdac6eff281a7634bba3aebd638e.png

How do head hunters even afford to travel from gym to gym like that? I imagine they have to travel pretty far to hit gyms they have never been to. Boxing gyms are not like BJJ or karate places that are dime a dozen in any city.

Also how many people participate in the tourney you are at?

Head hunters tend to have some mystique to them. Like I said many of them are mild-mannered and not unpleasant people. So, gym owners with the wrong ideas about healthy gym environments often want them around because "man that kid's a beast, just watch him spar!! He be puttin' in that real work!!"

So they like these guys and show them favoritism, often foregoing collecting gym dues. It's a malpractice born of ego catering on both sides.

Episode 3, @zapataxiv, this is all you:

<5>
Great stuff
How you doin Lu? You were looking a little tired.

Speaking of Valero that made me think of his sparring footage with Morales that was hyped up around the internet awhile back. People were gushing over it and how he gave it to Morales but I can’t help but feel like you said it was taken a little out of context.
Would you call Charlie Z a headhunter or at least a wannabe headhunter?

<5>
Great stuff
How you doin Lu? You were looking a little tired.

Speaking of Valero that made me think of his sparring footage with Morales that was hyped up around the internet awhile back. People were gushing over it and how he gave it to Morales but I can’t help but feel like you said it was taken a little out of context.
Would you call Charlie Z a headhunter or at least a wannabe headhunter?

I was getting sick. Got a sinus infection I think from the shitty A/C in that room. Saturday morning I woke up with a sore throat.

Charlie Z is a faker. Real head hunters don't offer to pay people to let them knock them out.

Back