Surprise: Ancient Gladiators Were Vegetarians (according to Smithsonian)

Think about it. How many people could possibly rely on hunting as a method for subsistence in states like PA, VA, NJ, MI, VT, etc? These are well developed post industrial east coast states almost no one needs to hunt for food in a state like PA, yet that state alone issues ~1 million hunting licenses a year. Hell, at least thE guy had the balls to admit the modern practice of hunting is about recreation or sport, and not sustenance.
I hunt solely for food. I don't even take pictures of the kill. I find it kinda morbid.

What do you mean with ''diminished health''? There's nothing in meat that you can't get elsewhere except b12 (I mean in vegan foods in their natural state unless you want to eat weird shit like algae, of course there are vegan foods reinforced with b12). Now, a b12 deficiency it definitely can't be after only 2 months (your b12 stores can last up to more than 6 years even in total absence of dietary intake), maybe it's iron? I get plenty of iron and zinc from pumpkin seeds and broccoli for example. I feel absolutely the same since going vegetarian, if anything I feel better and more energetic (although I think that's more due to some dietary habits taken from Ray Peat) but it's not like a big difference from when I was a meat eater, I think the biggest most tangible difference is that my shit don't stink, literally and figuratively. <5>
Animals raised for food are supplemented with B12.

What do you enjoy from it? just trying to have a better understanding
Being out by myself in the bush, The patience, time and skill it takes for the perfect shot, the time I spend
with my dad, the appreciation from the landholder, satisfaction of supplying free food to friends, family, pets ect, more so it's the sense of freedom when out and about

Most ancient diets were mostly plant based compared to ours now. Eating as much meat as we do is a relatively new phenomena. Even in hunter gatherer societies the gatherers provided the vast majority of the food while the hunters mostly failed.
What about durring the iceage when plant life was scarce in the colder regions

Being out by myself in the bush, The patience, time and skill it takes for the perfect shot, the time I spend
with my dad, the appreciation from the landholder, satisfaction of supplying free food to friends, family, pets ect, more so it's the sense of freedom when out and about
oh I thought you were one of those guys who got off on killing innocent animals. Like those veterans who killed the innocent pitbul service dog and laughed.

oh I thought you were one of those guys who got off on killing innocent animals. Like those veterans who killed the innocent pitbul service dog and laughed.
Not all people that hunt are mindless killing machines (some will literaly kill anything) just as all vegans arnt self righteous fuckwitts, the world isn't that simple or black and white

My thing is, I feel so much better when there is no meat around. Meditation becomes so much more profound. Its like you experience a cooling sensation that is bless like. Its hard to describe but it feels incredible! Like you can tackle any task without any problem.

My problem is, I find that my health kind of diminishes if I am meat free for a month or two. Then when I have some meat, I feel alright again. Perhaps its the cleanse phase that I am getting discouraged by?

As a vegetarian, do you have any restriction, like no eggs but dairy is ok?

Excellent. And when someone as yourself takes meditation seriously, it simply comes to the heart that you don't like meat anymore, it just gets out naturally. No problem if you eat meat, as I see you do it rarely and your mentality is different. It surely is a cleansing phase and cleansing of karma... and that takes energy to clean (your own life force or kundalini and there is much kundalini on the surface that is used to cleanse and it takes your energy) that's why you can feel weak. When you take meat, body is still adjusted to it and it helps you for a short period and it slows the cleansing, but it won't stop it, especially when you meditate. Body is used to the meat, probably less and less and it needs time to adjust to new energy also. Once that's done, it's far better than meat. Body is cleaner. And you must know when you meditate seriously, the cleansing process is faster and heavier. Meditation is the fire for karma, it turns karma to ashes, especially when you are more experienced, when you can exactly see and be aware what is happening in your body, in your system.

I eat no eggs, I do diary and I do about 10 days fasting per month and when I eat, I eat once per day. But of course, I also went through some phase, but then body adjusted itself, but you have to be persistent. No pain no gain. But if you need meat sometimes, eat some meat, and continue with your mentality and that phase will be gone sooner or later.

Last edited:
The killing of animals for food is pretty fucked up, and certainly the treatment of animals en masse in factory farming is downright horrific, Hell-on-Earth type stuff.

And I eat meat, so I'm not preaching down to anybody, don't get me wrong. Just being honest. I can't defend any of it from a moral perspective.

The killing of animals for food is not fucked up at all. It's natural.

Life eats life - including plant life. That's how it works.

I thought everyone knew this.

Meanwhile, anyone know any good doccos on Roman weapons?

This article is complete bullshit.

"The body can't absorb more than 13-16 grams of protein at one time, so all the protein companies that promise 35-50 grams per scoop are selling you plain marketing crap."

That's completely 100% untrue.

https://barbend.com/how-much-protein-can-you-absorb/

I've been working out for years with varying degrees of protein intake. Taking as much as 65 grams of protein in one sitting.

I know for a fact (from my own body) that I get more strength and muscle gain when I take in more protein. I don't care what this BS article says, because I have real world experience with years of working out.

Secondly, 13-16 grams of protein is only like 2 eggs. A standard chicken breast is more than that. Are you saying anything more than that is not absorbed? lol

euj0w5.jpg

"There are 23 kinds of amino acids, 15 of which our body can produce. The other eight, also called "essential amino acids" must come from our diets. If you are eating fruits, nuts, vegetables, seeds, and sprouts on a regular basis, you are getting all the amino acids necessary to build the protein that your body needs."

Another misdirection. No one says you can't get all the amino acids and nutrients from non-meat sources.

The point is: you have to get it from MORE THAN ONE veggie source. They often need to take supplements. While meat is much more calorically dense and have more complete amino acid profiles.

Basically, it is much more inconvenient to get the same level of nutrients. Not everybody has the time or will for that.

Why spend money on high meat diets if your gladiator is going to be dead by the end of the week?

FWIW: many kushti wrestlers in India get their main protein from almonds

A huge factor in a gladiator's physical fitness was a meatless diet. During training, he primarily ate beans for protein and barley for carbohydrates.

They were Cans. The Apache besmirched them on Deadliest Warrior:)

Why spend money on high meat diets if your gladiator is going to be dead by the end of the week?
it's a myth that gladiators fought to the death. It was an ancient version of WWE, deaths happened but not often. Most of them were part of performance troupes that traveled to put on shows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back