Support for Injuries and Recovery Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by FighterTwister, Oct 28, 2017.

1. FighterTwister White Belt

FighterTwister
    Hi folks new here don't post much but need some help.

My problem is that over the last 6 months I have had this moderate pain inside my inner hamstring groin area of my leg limiting my stretching and movement.

Might be a damaged tendon or nerve issue unsure have not gone to docs yet to get it checked but have had several visits to the massage therapists to loosen muscles and stretch out into place with no luck.

Have tried to slide into gentle stretching but still hurts and I'm scared of causing more injury, I have never experienced this before.

So what could be the problem?

Whats methods of healing and recovery can I use?

What steps to avoid and maintain good muscle elasticity and strength including good warm ups would you guys advise/suggest?

Any help or advise by experienced people would be appreciated thanks

Cheers

2. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    Don't stretch it if you're feeling pain, you might just be making it worse.

Do you do any sport with kicking, and stretching? How much volume were you doing in the last 6 months?

Go see a professional though, a doctor or a physio. If the massage is not helping, and if it has lasted this long, it's worth getting it checked by someone who can help.

FighterTwister likes this.
  3. FighterTwister White Belt

FighterTwister
    Thanks Sano yeah it sounds like I have hurt my adductor longus muscle and possible tendon tear so I was hoping it would heal.

As to workout load quite intense over the years as its all part of an 1 hour warm-up and then a cool down.

So I have been reading up heaps on what I can do and can't do and need to change things and visit a doc for further help.

Basically stop all isometric/static stretching and just do remedial types of stretches to slowly strengthen those areas using the P.R.I.C.E principles (protection, rest, ice, compression and elevation)

So I will basically take that approach for now and follow ups with doc and physio visits.

Thanks for reply

Cheers

Sano likes this.
  4. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    Never heard of PRICE, but it's the same as RICEM more or less. The M part (moving or mobilising) is important though.

However, those principles are mostly for acute injury which is why they deal with effects of that (swelling, inflammation). Ice especially is debateable at this stage, I wouldn't recommend it, but if it gives you pain relief and comfort then sure. Use it sparingly, if at all.

It doesn't necessarily sound like you had a tear, it all depends on the symptomatology. From what you've been saying it sounds more like an overuse injury, but I'm not claiming either without having examined and talked to you in detail.

Did the pain/issue appear over time, or did it happen suddenly? Did you get diagnoses with a tear?

This is why you need to go see someone.

Btw, hour long warmup/cooldown with static stretching? Are you are TKD practitioner?