Supplements of those who train seriously

curlyface

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Wondering what you guys take if you're training 8+ hours a week. I'm finding recovery to be tough, and taking longer, especially as I get older. As of right now I only take 100mg caffeine prior to every training session, and whey protein after. I used to take creatine but found it made me slow and sluggish from the water retention, I assume.

Snake Oil. Just eat clean and drink lots of H20. If you're feeling depleted after training, try eating an actual hearty meal. Animal flesh, clean carb, clean fat and veggies. Synthetic sustenance(protein shakes bars etc) should be used as a last resort grab n go backup meal. The only time I use those is when I'm cutting weight.

I subscribe to the theory that most supplements are snake oil. I do think there are some that are helpful in getting an edge, recovering quicker, building muscle faster. I am avoiding anything hormonal and am mostly looking for ideas of supplements from others who train in the same martial arts

Vitamins are legit because athletes sweat out their body's vital stores during training. I use the expensive kind that are about $0.40 a dose.

Coconut water works great to keep hydrated. People will say plain water is better but I disagree-- coconut water re-hydrates MUCH faster. But I never had to choose between them-- I drink both one after another, coconut first.

Plain foods that make you feel good after eating them (it will depend on who you are as to which foods those are). For me that means trail mix or nuts and things like that.

You don't need expensive supplements to train. You may want to if you ever seriously start competing (since a lot of them do to get that tiny edge) but until they pay for themselves I don't see a reason to.

Just eating clean
And drink water

nothing fancy

regular priced vitamins
regular priced cod liver oil

never felt much of a difference with coconut water except my wallet getting lighter

Mexican or Asian stores have the cheap coconut water, in case you want to try that. It will taste terrible unless you drink it when you're actually thirsty (mid or post workout) for the first time.

After that, it tastes amazing (completely different) because your body wants more and it will always taste good after that no matter what.

The one significant benefit that coconut water has over regular water is that if you're training hard (like exhausted) and you just gulp down a cup of water, you're going to throw up. Coconut water goes in much more agreeably. Also if you're dehydrated and drink water it takes a full day or even more before you feel better. Coconut water feels better in a couple hours or sometime less.

It's probably different for different people somewhat, but that's been my experience and that of the people around me who I've had try it.

Whey
Creatine
Fish Oil
Multivitamin
Glucosamine

All you need. Fish Oil is the greatest supplement you could ever use, no joke.

just eat healthy and sleep as much as you can. alcohol and/or pot impair my recovery big time since being in the mid 30's.
not working out when i feel tired is the best lesson i learned in the last years.

protein
ZMA (most people are deficient in both zinc and especially magnesium)
food

fish oil may or may not help.

spend more time on prehab and post workout stretching / foam rolling.

if you have the time to train a lot you should consider spending lots of time sleeping aswell

no supplements can give you the benefits of sleeping. Its really magical lol

I used to work out a lot and I've read a TON of stuff and tried a ton of stuff. Here's how I would break it down and honestly these are all very affordable and easy to find.

Level 1 basic supplements in order of what I consider important:
Multivitamin – basic health
Whey protein – need protein for your muscles and your body
Fish oil – great for all around health plus joints
Creatine (optional but basic and proven to work) - if taking make sure you drink a LOT of water

Level 2 in order of what I consider important:
BCAA during workout (branch chain amino acids) – Helps with recovery, worth a look
ZMA before bed – helps with sleep which helps recovery
Preworkout supplement if you want a little boost before your workout – with or without caffeine, your choice

Other than that, honestly you don't really need it. You're just gonna spend a bunch of money to get like 1-2% (if any) improvement or recovery or strength. Unless you go the route of messing with hormones and testosterone but that's an entirely different category.

1. Multivitamin
2. Fish oil
3. Whey

This works for me

just eat healthy and sleep as much as you can. alcohol and/or pot impair my recovery big time since being in the mid 30's.
not working out when i feel tired is the best lesson i learned in the last years.

Never realised how many old how many old farts we have around here.

I'm just surprised that there appears to be so many people around my age here.

I'm just surprised that there appears to be so many people around my age here.

is it? I imagine 35 - 50 being a rather large group of sherdoggers based on being in high school or college for UFC 1. Why UFC 1? Because I bet early UFC fans were largely spill over fans of Chuck Norris/Van Damme/Kung fu movies from the 80s.

endless supply of ibuprofen, gatorade, weed, and booze

foam rolling fo days

is it? I imagine 35 - 50 being a rather large group of sherdoggers based on being in high school or college for UFC 1. Why UFC 1? Because I bet early UFC fans were largely spill over fans of Chuck Norris/Van Damme/Kung fu movies from the 80s.

I got into it when I was really young. My parents went to grab a wrestling VHS tape for me and accidentally got UFC 3 instead... been hooked ever since.

37 here.

Back