Supplemental Training for Boxing

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What strength and conditioning training do you do when not skill training? What carryover does it have for you?

Roadwork
Cycling
Skipping
Swimming
Plyos
Isometrics
Calisthenics
Weight Lifting
Tire Flips
Sledge Hammer

What S & C work do you do outside of boxing? If you don't do it yourself, what would you prescribe to someone who asked you to help them with S & C?

Yes, I understand there is a S & C forum but this is not for generic S & C. Please provide things that would benefit a boxer, and why they would benefit them.

For example: Low intensity activity is shown to use fat as an energy source. A boxer who wakes up and jogs at a light pace for a hour or more could benefit from weight cutting in the form of stored adipose tissue. This style of exercise accompanied with high intensity interval training performed in the gym could maximize their ability to cut fat and make their desired weight class.

12 rounds of different push ups every push up you can find and i mean 12 boxing rounds with 1 minute rest and trying to due as many super sets as i can without rest in those 3 min, basically i call it MMa wrestling for 12 rounds but without an opponent , and a 60 second rest. for 1 week every other day.

3 hours at the gym 3 times a week super sets no rest during my sets and only resting after my sets are done and then starting another set of exercise until i can't work out anymore, arms sunday and back and shoulders Tuesday, then Thursday chest only, along with Isometric exercise, second week, then switch to push ups the next week, also gym abdominal excuses and abdominal Isometrics.

12 rounds of sit-ups just like my push ups super sets, doing every sit-up you can imagine possible for 3 min not trying to rest and then 1 min rest for 12 rounds, every other day.

If you actually do MMA or jujitsu or Martial Arts i don't see why this routine wouldn't work for anybody not in training camp or in training camp mixed with regular training.

12 rounds of different push ups every push up you can find and i mean 12 boxing rounds with 1 minute rest and trying to due as many super sets as i can without rest in those 3 min, basically i call it MMa wrestling for 12 rounds but without an opponent , and a 60 second rest. for 1 week every other day.

3 hours at the gym 3 times a week super sets no rest during my sets and only resting after my sets are done and then starting another set of exercise until i can't work out anymore, arms sunday and back and shoulders Tuesday, then Thursday chest only, along with Isometric exercise, second week, then switch to push ups the next week, also gym abdominal excuses and abdominal Isometrics.

12 rounds of sit-ups just like my push ups super sets, doing every sit-up you can imagine possible for 3 min not trying to rest and then 1 min rest for 12 rounds, every other day.

If you actually do MMA or jujitsu or Martial Arts i don't see why this routine wouldn't work for anybody not in training camp or in training camp mixed with regular training.

If you are unable to go continuously for the three minute set (round) do you rest until you can perform adequate reps or do you push through as best you can until that set (round) is finished?

12 rounds of push ups is a shit ton of push ups to do every other day.

If you are unable to go continuously for the three minute set (round) do you rest until you can perform adequate reps or do you push through as best you can until that set (round) is finished?

Yes i gather myself and take a second to a couple of seconds rest, then push threw it and complete my sets, until the bell rings then take my minute rest and start my next 3 set push ups, doing three different types of push ups, 3 sets of them and doing as many as possible, i have ten different types of push ups until i start over.

I am trying to get threw a full 3 sets in 3 minutes doing as many as i can with each set and not stopping to rest. The only rest i want is changing to another push up and that's it.

I know i can do this because i do the exact same thing with weight training on arm day, but with no time period, just doing sets of super set exercise with no rest, until i have to rest, pushing myself even harder the next time.

I just push myself incredibly hard for months pushing myself harder and harder, then my body says extra rest is needed and i back off, then rest a week, then push myself even harder, then i hit my wall and i change my routine and simply do different types of exercise and push myself even harder, but constantly inventing ,every different combination of workouts possible and every type of combination possible, to give my body and mind a boost and fresh start.

My goal was to do a 100 push ups strait and do a 100 sit-ups and 100 floor leg raises i completed this goal and now it's like doing nothing, so instead of doing 500 of all of them and this taking hours to accomplish, i simply do 12 rounds of 3 minute super set push ups and sit-ups until i reach my goal of 3 minutes strait with no rest at all, but i sometimes go back and just do 100 push ups strait and 100 sit ups strait on a lazy day, because they are so easy it's like doing nothing to me and i even kick myself in the but, for only doing about 300 sit ups and 300 push ups, that's when you know your workout works and your getting stronger, when your doing 100 strait pus ups and your thinking well that's not good enough and your not struggling at all and it's like taking a walk, i do this with weight training to.

Bruce lee said, your not strong until you can totally control the weight your lifting, and that's total body lifting using Isometric and lifting that weight until it's like lifting a piece of paper.

Remember to constantly change your routine every couple of months and then search for newer and different types of the same exercise and different exercises, that pushes yourself even harder and switch from push ups to weight training every week or every month or every couple of months, this keeps you extremely hungry and your mind wanting more and to exercise even harder and set goals and blast threw them,until there so easy, your wanting to push yourself even harder.

Yes i gather myself and take a second to a couple of seconds rest, then push threw it and complete my sets, until the bell rings then take my minute rest and start my next 3 set push ups, doing three different types of push ups, 3 sets of them and doing as many as possible, i have ten different types of push ups until i start over.

I am trying to get threw a full 3 sets in 3 minutes doing as many as i can with each set and not stopping to rest. The only rest i want is changing to another push up and that's it.

I know i can do this because i do the exact same thing with weight training on arm day, but with no time period, just doing sets of super set exercise with no rest, until i have to rest, pushing myself even harder the next time.

I just push myself incredibly hard for months pushing myself harder and harder, then my body says extra rest is needed and i back off, then rest a week, then push myself even harder, then i hit my wall and i change my routine and simply do different types of exercise and push myself even harder, but constantly inventing ,every different combination of workouts possible and every type of combination possible, to give my body and mind a boost and fresh start.

My goal was to do a 100 push ups strait and do a 100 sit-ups and 100 floor leg raises i completed this goal and now it's like doing nothing, so instead of doing 500 of all of them and this taking hours to accomplish, i simply do 12 rounds of 3 minute super set push ups and sit-ups until i reach my goal of 3 minutes strait with no rest at all, but i sometimes go back and just do 100 push ups strait and 100 sit ups strait on a lazy day, because they are so easy it's like doing nothing to me and i even kick myself in the but, for only doing about 300 sit ups and 300 push ups, that's when you know your workout works and your getting stronger, when your doing 100 strait pus ups and your thinking well that's not good enough and your not struggling at all and it's like taking a walk, i do this with weight training to.

Bruce lee said, your not strong until you can totally control the weight your lifting, and that's total body lifting using Isometric and lifting that weight until it's like lifting a piece of paper.

Remember to constantly change your routine every couple of months and then search for newer and different types of the same exercise and different exercises, that pushes yourself even harder and switch from push ups to weight training every week or every month or every couple of months, this keeps you extremely hungry and your mind wanting more and to exercise even harder and set goals and blast threw them,until there so easy, your wanting to push yourself even harder.

Is your goal hypertrophy?

How has this routine carried over to boxing for you? More pop behind your shots? Hands placed where they should be without fatiguing? More power generated in punches over a shorter distance?

Wrestling is good. Lots of old school boxers used to do it. Good for strength & conditioning and can help give you some physicality on the inside.

I did a lot of running when I was boxing competitively. It definitely helped my endurance. Also, rounds sparring and rounds on the heavy bag I'd say are essential to boxing fitness. I also used to do powerlifting and it helped with my power but it put me in a higher weight class than was natural for me so I'm not sure it was that much of a benefit.

I also think it's interesting that Lomachenko does no running at all for his fitness training, electing to do fast walks and swimming instead. And considering that's he's probably one of the fittest boxers around today, if not the fittest then it's something that makes you sit up and take notice. For him at least it seems roadwork is unnecessary.

Running is the best, Bruce Lee called it the king of excercises and the reason boxers are known for their conditioning. I was always surpised/disgusted by how the martial artists/mma'rs didn't want to run. I always thought it was because, unlike boxers, they were scared to be alone. It seems they didn't know how to function without a bunch of guys around, laughing and giggling like a bunch of girls. Anyway, running in all it's varieties is the best for the whole body, you can think you are in the greatest condition in the world because you're doing weights or whatever but go through a real run and you'll see how easily you fatigue.

Running is the best, Bruce Lee called it the king of excercises and the reason boxers are known for their conditioning. I was always surpised/disgusted by how the martial artists/mma'rs didn't want to run. I always thought it was because, unlike boxers, they were scared to be alone. It seems they didn't know how to function without a bunch of guys around, laughing and giggling like a bunch of girls. Anyway, running in all it's varieties is the best for the whole body, you can think you are in the greatest condition in the world because you're doing weights or whatever but go through a real run and you'll see how easily you fatigue.

I used to agree with you about running and it was my chosen form of cardio BUT how do you explain Lomachenko who does no running at all but is an absolute cardio machine in the ring. Maybe there are better ways than running for boxing cardio?

I used to agree with you about running and it was my chosen form of cardio BUT how do you explain Lomachenko who does no running at all but is an absolute cardio machine in the ring. Maybe there are better ways than running for boxing cardio?

He is one example from a LOT of boxers who have made the grade.

I was never a fan of heavy weights when i fought, and used to focus more on speed and stamina and light weights with repetition, as soon as you start to gain muscle, you are changing the way you operate as a fighter, unless you are extremely high level(or a fucking HW).

I was never a fan of heavy weights when i fought, and used to focus more on speed and stamina and light weights with repetition, as soon as you start to gain muscle, you are changing the way you operate as a fighter, unless you are extremely high level(or a fucking HW).

Yeah, I'm sure there are many more elite boxers who put their roadwork in BUT Lomachenko must be doing something right to have such great cardio.

Yeah, when I did weights I felt like it hampered my cardio. I could still get fit and ran half marathons but I think I'd have been faster if I'd dropped the weights down. Trying to be as strong as you can be and as fit as you can be are two disparate goals that compete against one another. In the end I was ok at both, decent cardio and fairly strong just not great at either.

I've never watched him fight but I'm old school, if he's not running I'd kinda be suspicious of his conditioning. Not with his punching, the legs need running. I remember when I thought i was in condition and I played a game of hoop and i was exhausted, part of that is just what's called "specificity of training" which just means your body isn't used to a different kind of sport or activity and it shocks you. But it's mostly because the legs don't really get that much work in the gym and the overall body doesn't, running involves the whole body, even if it's light running, every muscle is involved to some degree. So, I could throw combos on the bag like an animal but my conditioning wasn't what it was when i did sprints and runs, nowhere close. Running took me to another realm where it was just level upon level of stamina. And even after I knew of the importance of running, i'd neglect it sometimes and once, when i was working security, i had to chase a guy 3 blocks, it's a good thing he handed over the liquor but I was tired enough to just let him go and not try to drag him back to the store. So.., I guess i'm saying, if a guy is just stationary, he can do quite well but I wouldn't recommend it, and I guess I would also say there are exceptions to any rule.

most people can't gain that much muscle, they say 5-7 pounds a year. I never could really put on any muscle and i'd lose it fast when I stopped working out. I know everyone is different but weights didn't hurt me a bit, partly because I never really gained much from it. I've only pressed 200 a couple times in my life and a lot of people would laugh at that.

I've never watched him fight but I'm old school, if he's not running I'd kinda be suspicious of his conditioning. Not with his punching, the legs need running. I remember when I thought i was in condition and I played a game of hoop and i was exhausted, part of that is just what's called "specificity of training" which just means your body isn't used to a different kind of sport or activity and it shocks you. But it's mostly because the legs don't really get that much work in the gym and the overall body doesn't, running involves the whole body, even if it's light running, every muscle is involved to some degree. So, I could throw combos on the bag like an animal but my conditioning wasn't what it was when i did sprints and runs, nowhere close. Running took me to another realm where it was just level upon level of stamina. And even after I knew of the importance of running, i'd neglect it sometimes and once, when i was working security, i had to chase a guy 3 blocks, it's a good thing he handed over the liquor but I was tired enough to just let him go and not try to drag him back to the store. So.., I guess i'm saying, if a guy is just stationary, he can do quite well but I wouldn't recommend it, and I guess I would also say there are exceptions to any rule.

Well Lomachenko does swimming for cardio which is good for all over body fitness. I'm not a great swimmer so it wouldn't be my first choice of cardio.

most people can't gain that much muscle, they say 5-7 pounds a year. I never could really put on any muscle and i'd lose it fast when I stopped working out. I know everyone is different but weights didn't hurt me a bit, partly because I never really gained much from it. I've only pressed 200 a couple times in my life and a lot of people would laugh at that.
I did steroids at the time as well I put on quite a bit of muscle for me. I was weighing in at 85kg when I should have been fighting at 75kg. Guys at my weight had reach and height advantages over me.

I did steroids at the time as well I put on quite a bit of muscle for me. I was weighing in at 85kg when I should have been fighting at 75kg. Guys at my weight had reach and height advantages over me.
ahh, that explains it. roids, i often wondered what i'd be like on roids, i'd probably be nuts, i'm high strung enough as it is.

Well Lomachenko does swimming for cardio which is good for all over body fitness. I'm not a great swimmer so it wouldn't be my first choice of cardio.
swimming is awful for cardio, awful, the only thing that's really great about it is it's kind to the joints. Running is awful for the knees, guys like Roy Jones (it showed in the ring too) couldn't do roadwork in the later years of their careers because their knees were shot.

Back