Sumo Deadlift Form Check

Savant21

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Ok I was recommended to try out the Sumo DL since I've been experiencing lower back pain from the conventional DL. I unfortunately have APT which makes it a bitch to make consistent gains on Squats & DLs, though I have been stretching consistently & my APT has alleviated significantly but my posture isn't sufficient yet.

That said, I'm not sure if my form on this variation of the DL is correct. I followed the advice from this video:

Whenever I do the sumo, my mid to lower back is very, very slightly sore/uncomfortable but not as severe as the conventional DL:

I've been doing Sumo for the last 5 workouts (specifically for the DL obviously, I follow Stronglifts 5x5 so DLs are every other workout).

Not sure if I should continue with this variation or revert back to the conventional DL. I just ordered a legit Powerlifting belt from Amazon (90% or so 5 stars out of 300 reviews) so it could aid in the soreness/discomfort when doing this version.

*Edit: Apologies if anyone has trouble viewing the vid. I had trouble publishing it on YouTube yesterday & it was listed as "Private" when I went back to edit it this morning. Switched it to Public so it should play, opening it up in YouTube works if it doesn't play on the forum.

*Edit: Below is the latest form check video for this lift:

Last edited:
I'll look in more detail but the bar is way too far in front of you. The bar should be more or less set against your shins and your shoulders should be slightly in front of the bar.

I'll look in more detail but the bar is way too far in front of you. The bar should be more or less set against your shins and your shoulders should be slightly in front of the bar.

Any more advice for perfecting my form on this lift? As I drop down to lift the bar I've ensured that the bar is closer to my shins & I've been feeling much better on this lift

Your low back looks ever so slightly rounded when lowering from the top of the rep.

Are you loading up and engaging your glutes and hammies right before you pick up the bar? This is key. It took me years to figure this one out.

Consider adding reverse hypers to strengthen your posterior chain.

I have struggled with deadlifts for years and feel your pain.

Need a better eye than mine but the bar is too far from you. Wear long socks or pants and drag it up your shin more or less. I bet that’ll fix the rest. I do good mornings a coupe times a week and it makes my Hams strong. Other people choose different exercises but this works for me. Do you have a glute ham raise

Bring the bar closer to you for the set up and then take another form check video.

Bar should start against your shins, knees shouldn’t go forward over the bar at the start. Keep shins vertical, back upright, spread the floor with your feet during the lift. Your set up is almost like a conventional deadlift done with a wide stance.

Also shoulders over the bar during the pull, not in front.

I've posted my latest attempt at this lift in the OP. Any suggestions/advice on my 2nd attempt would be greatly appreciated. I ensured that the bar was as close to my shins as possible (I think I'mma need to wear long socks when performing this lift).

I’d argue still too far away. Here the last worthwhile lift I hit before I hurt my shoulder. Still not perfect by any stretch. Bar is right on my shin to start

Back