SUMO - 2018 Natsu Basho (May 13th - May 27th)

WOW loved the technique on display in Ishiura beating Daiamami on day 6.

Hattorizakura looks like he wants to end that losing streak

wow, kyokutaisei's comeback against aoiyama was nuts.

yutakayama put up a great fight, but nice survival skills by tochinoshin.

abi is the real man of the hour though. amazing to get a win against hakuho in their first meeting, and he blew him out of the water. wowow.

giphy.gif

dude, right? that's insane.

Bummer about Endo, hopefully nothing too serious. He was finally bouncing back from injuries and living up to the hype.

Some cool lower division action today

Going to be a good second week with Tochinoshin Hakuho and Kakuryu battling it out.

What are Ishiura's tale of the tape stats? Dude looks like a dwarf in there.

And on a similar note, I never get over how cartoonish chiyomaru's belly is.

What are Ishiura's tale of the tape stats? Dude looks like a dwarf in there.

And on a similar note, I never get over how cartoonish chiyomaru's belly is.
5'8" and 255ish lbs

He's definitely one of, if not the smallest guy in the upper divisions

really too bad to see endo drop out. hopefully the injury isn't too bad, but it's worrying obviously.

ichinojo falling apart.

Much better work from Ichinojo today.

Tochinoshin, though...

And man, Yutakayama has looked the best of anyone who hasn’t won a match I’ve ever seen.

Much better work from Ichinojo today.

Tochinoshin, though...

And man, Yutakayama has looked the best of anyone who hasn’t won a match I’ve ever seen.
yeah, what a great match between ichinojo and tochinoshin. real unstoppable force vs. immovable object kind of stuff.

and yutakayama is looking really good but not getting the wins. hopefully he can pick some up in the second week and not fall too far, because getting this experience against the top guys and looking this good should be great for him.

Is Hakuho a bit like the Jon Jones of sumo? He's great, but I'm sure he thinks the rules don't always apply to him!

Koyokutaisei has looked good for his first top div basho, although always seem to ‘lose’ the tachi-ai.

Have been enjoying Abi for the last few basho and his win over Hakuho was great. Seems to be getting better at dealing with the other rikishi getting close, which is good to see.

Hakuho looks a bit off even tho he has only lost once, maybe his toes are still giving him trouble?

Tochinosin looking like a man on a mission and is almost sure to get promotion.

Yoshikaze vs Takakeisho was a brutal slap fest, loved it!

Felt sorry for Hokutofuji, was unfair on him to get KOed on a matta and have to struggle on while still concussed.

If looks could kill! Kakuryu would be dead! two Henka losses in two consecutive basho for kotoshogiku but has looked good otherwise this may.

Overall some good sumo this basho

Just thinking about the last few tournaments he has been in: not touching any fist before tachiai, trying to call matta when Yoshikaze out-gripped him, using henka(not illegal, I know) when someone is close or even on the leaderboard...

Just thinking about the last few tournaments he has been in: not touching any fist before tachiai, trying to call matta when Yoshikaze out-gripped him, using henka(not illegal, I know) when someone is close or even on the leaderboard...
I mean he’s definitely been scolded by the sumo council for un-Yokozuna like behaviour (the starting slap, henkas etc) but the not touching the ground with one or both hands seems to happen in like 50% of all bouts by rikishi.
He is a bit of a primadonna bit if your the top dog I guess that’s your privilege. I don’t think he does anything against the rules really.

man, tochinoshin is looking unstoppable again.

Back