SUMO - 2018 Natsu Basho (May 13th - May 27th)

Fork

Sumo
@Gold
Reaction score
suyouo.jpg

Another sumo tournament has come around. I have no time to make a big thread for this one, so I'll just stick with the absolute basics. Here's the banzuke for the May tournament:

1zj0jr.jpg

Stay tuned to Kintamayama's YouTube Channel for daily highlights of the top division, and check out Robert Mensing's YouTube Channel for English versions of the NHK digest episodes (although I don't think they include all of the top division matches). Or go straight to the source, on NHK World's Sumo website. There's also a great blog at tachiai.org with news and information.

And as usual, for anyone who'll be watching the sport for the first time, please feel free to ask any questions you might have here and someone will try to answer them. Also be sure to check out my Introduction to SUMO thread for a brief (although quite outdated at this point) overview of the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

(again I'll just @ everyone that posted in recent sumo threads)
@JkMMA @PurpleStorm @Asurah @Sano @josh from md @Okajima @RJ Green @winterbike @LC Shepard @Bluesbreaker @hyu244 @s_o_c_a_r @Slick_36 @Senshi @Muppettoker @argy-bargy

Hakuho is back, Tochinoshin aiming for 10 wins and ozeki, and Endo finally makes it to komusubi. Should be a good one

Cool beans. Rooting for Tochinoshin and Hakumania.

Thanks for the reminder, mate. Hoping for Kisenatosato to show some form again. Tochinoshin too.

Also, does anyone know what the deal is with Ura? I've been waiting ages to see him back.

Yeah, it's too bad that Kisenosato isn't competing but it is good to see that he is taking his recovery seriously. Or at least that he is listening to people who are, I'm sure he wants to get back in the ring asap.

and Endo finally makes it to komusubi.
Tochinoshin going for 10 wins and Hakuho being back are obviously big deals, but it'll be really interesting to see Endo at komosubi.

A few good fights on the first day. Tochinoshin's comeback was great. I think Tamawashi shit the bed, just a bit.

Pretty tepid first day but day 2 picked it up a bit. Hakuho looks a bit shaky but he's still getting it done. Tochinoshin looks well on his way to reaching ozeki.

Also Amuru announced his retirement, just too many injuries and he had been struggling down in the lower divisions.

I miss my boy Ōsunaarashi <2>

I'm gonna ask the wife for a mawashi for my birthday

<DCWhoa>

It was great seeing Tochinoshin handle Abi and his wild style of sumo on the second day.

It was great seeing Tochinoshin handle Abi and his wild style of sumo on the second day.
Agreed. Was impressed with Abi too - I think his style is bad for Tochinoshin, but Tochi did well to get inside on him.

Good action today, Endo vs Ichinojo was fun. Tochinoshin is cruising to that ozeki promotion so far, has hardly struggled this basho

sorry i've been MIA for the start of the tournament. was going through a long orientation thing for a week at a place with no real internet access, but i'm back and will be catching up now.

endo vs. ichinojo on day 5 was fantastic.

tochinoshin is looking great. aside from the loss to endo (which was a good match) ichonojo is looking powerful again as well. endo is doing surprisingly well too.

Tochinoshin still looking determined!

Ichinojou is just so weirdly inconsistent, I can’t decide if I like him or not.

Abi straight up blitzed him. Holy crap.

Back