SUMO - 2018 Hatsu Basho (Jan. 14th - 28th)

here's Hattorizakura's record breaking 70th consecutive loss for those interested:

^ that was one of the longest sumo matches i've ever seen?!

^ that was one of the longest sumo matches i've ever seen?!
yeah, that was a long one. not sure if that's more or less common at the lower levels. funny that hattorizakura seems to have a lot of fans cheering for him though.

I think longer bouts are slightly more common in the lower ranks. Probably due to the guys generally being less developed skill and body wise.

Looks like Osunaarashi is the latest guy in legal trouble

Mitakeumi vs Tochinoshin tonight, should be good

glad to see tochinoshin not fall off after the loss to kakuryu. really looking forward to his match against mitakeumi too.

and chiyotairyu can look so great but he's such an inconsistent wrestler. the way he bulldozed goeido was fantastic though and shows how much power he can get going forward.

abi is also looking really good down in the lower ranks. fun style and some nice tsuppari.

Day 9

Takakeisho and Hokutofuji looking like two rams out there, meanwhile Tochinoshin shows again why you should be scared if he gets a grip of your belt.

not sandstorm!!! gah!! how my sumo heroes have fallen!

Tochinoshin, such power. Really hope someone beats Kakuryu, rooting completely for Tochinoshin.

man, you gotta love a nice tsuridashi lift out.

great wild matches between yutakayama and chiyonokuni and takakeisho and hokutofuji as well.

and it's really good to see kakuryu looking this solid. hopefully he can keep this up to the end of the tournament and carry it into the next one.

day 9 hattorizakura match:

Mitakeumi is crumbling so it's looking like it will probably come down to Tochinoshin and Kakuryu, still plenty of basho left though.

day 10:

more good stuff from the two in the yusho race.

great job by endo against shohozan as well. he was able to withstand shohozan's wild attack really nicely.

too bad that the wheels seem to sort of be coming off for mitakeumi. this was actually looking like a decent tournament for him to start an ozeki run off of, but the three losses in a row is making that seem unlikely. also a kind of disappointing tournament for hokutofuji.

seeing that onosho is out with an injury is also worrying as we've seen time and time again how these injuries pile up on promising guys and really keep them from competing to their potential.

Great but short one between Shohozan and Ikioi. Also Takarafuji and Tochinoshin was good, Tochinoshin barely escaped with that one.

Most importantly we have a tie for the lead going into the final 4 days, fun stuff. It's a shame Mitakeumi completely derailed though, would have made things even more interesting.

Enho vs Terutsuyoshi, 2 of the better small guys down in Makushita

really good matches between shohozan and ikioi and takakeisho and yoshikaze. takakeisho's control with the armbar into a really strong nodowa to force out yoshikaze was fantastic. arawashi did really well against goeido too with a great kotenage at the edge.

tochinoshin showed his experience, avoiding stepping out as he pulled takarafuji down.

and tamawashi did a great job making kakuryu pay for trying to pull him. big mistake from kakuryu.

Day 12, what a day!

Last edited:
I wonder if Kakuryu re-injured himself or if it's just mental lapses, he's back to pulling and as usual it's killing him. Tochinoshin with the sole lead!

wow, again kakuryu pulls and is punished.

can't believe tochinoshin is leading going into day 13.

and arawashi with the rolling koppu kick on chiyonokuni and ichinojo's push on yoshikaze were comedic highlights for me.

great job by abi and ryuden to get their kachikoshi in their debut tournament as well.

Last edited:
Back