SUMO - 2017 Kyushu Basho (Nov. 12th - Nov. 26th)

Fork

Sumo
@Gold
Reaction score
33lp2cj.jpg

Another sumo tournament, in Fukuoka this time, has snuck up on me and started today. I'll make this thread quick. It'll be good to have more Yokozuna back for this one, although Kakuryu is still sitting out. Let's take a look at the rankings:

2d7sy6a.jpg

Tournament Topics:
  • One debuting top division wrestler - As with the last tournament there is only one wrestler making his debut in the top division. Daiamami is a young guy at 24, and has only picked up one losing record since his professional sumo debut in 2016. He also won the Juryo yusho in July.
  • Fan favorite sitting out - Unfortunately the injury that forced Ura to leave the last tournament is keeping him from joining this tournament as well, and at M16 he'll fall way down to Juryo. He'll be sorely missed, and the top division was a lot more fun with his presence.
  • Return of the wily veteran - This tournament will mark the return to the top division for Aminishiki who has been out of Makuuchi since May 2016. He debuted in the top division over 10 years ago, and it's great to see him back again.
  • Sophomore success? - Having a phenomenal tournament in his debut in the top division, Asanoyama will now have to try to follow up that success with another good tournament. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does, and I actually think he'll do pretty well again.
  • Paths converging at Komosubi - The Komosubi ranks are pretty interesting this tournament as you have one wrestler whose career is on the way down, and another whose career is on the way up. Onosho has looked phenomenal in the top division so far, with three 10-5 records in a row, two special prizes, and a kinboshi. I don't see that momentum stopping either, and while he may not go 10-5 with three Yokozuna competing this time, I can definitely see him getting a winning record. Above him at East Komosubi is Kotoshogiku who has been struggling lately, but was able to get a winning record in the last tournament.
  • Former Ozeki - Unfortunately Terunofuji has been pretty much crippled by injuries and lost his Ozeki rank last tournament. I'd be surprised if he had an easy time of it this tournament, as I don't think his injuries have gone anywhere. We'll have to see as a good performance here could get him his Ozeki rank back, but I don't see it happening. It's a real shame as when he's in form he's one of the most dangerous guys in the sport, but it's been a long time since he was healthy enough to be that much of a threat.
  • Current Ozeki - Due to having to drop out of the last tournament, Takayasu is also facing demotion out of Ozeki. I think he should be able to get a winning record and avoid demotion here, and having another Ozeki lose their rank would be disastrous. Goeido actually did pretty well last time, staying in the yusho race and getting a good record. With two more Yokozuna competing this time though, he'll find it much tougher.
  • Yokozuna questions - A big question coming into this tournament will be about the fitness of the Yokozuna. Are Kisenosato and Hakuho healthy enough to compete well here? I expect that they are, and even a hobbled Hakuho is a real danger. Aside from them, even Harumafuji's fitness should be a concern, as he was clearly injured last time but continued on in the tournament because he was the only remaining Yokozuna. And with Kakuryu sitting out another tournament, there will be questions about how much longer he'll remain a Yokozuna.

-----------------------------

So there you go!

Stay tuned to Kintamayama's YouTube Channel for daily highlights of the top division, and the taka sumo YouTube Channel for possible daily posts of the NHK digest of the top day's action (in Japanese). Also check out Robert Mensing's YouTube Channel for English versions of the NHK digest episodes (although I don't think they include all of the top division matches). Or go straight to the source, on NHK World's Sumo website. There's also a good blog at tachiai.org with news and information.

And as usual, for anyone who'll be watching the sport for the first time, please feel free to ask any questions you might have here and someone will try to answer them. Also be sure to check out my Introduction to SUMO thread for a brief (although quite outdated at this point) overview of the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

14b1086.jpg

(I'll just @ everyone that posted in the last thread)
@JkMMA @PurpleStorm @Asurah @Sano @josh from md @Okajima

day 1 highlights from kintamayama:

Haven't watched day 1 yet but when I watched Kintamayama's preview he mentioned Onosho didn't do any sekitori training for this basho. That seems like a poor move but who knows. Also reports are that Kisenosato looked great in training.

Glad to see Aminishiki back.

Haven't watched day 1 yet but when I watched Kintamayama's preview he mentioned Onosho didn't do any sekitori training for this basho. That seems like a poor move but who knows. Also reports are that Kisenosato looked great in training.

Glad to see Aminishiki back.
yeah, i haven't watched any of the preview videos or been paying attention to the sumo news, and i won't watch the first day until later this evening, but that doesn't sound great for onosho.

and it'll be great to see aminishiki in the top division again.

WAR HAKUHO

(saying that makes me feel like a Yankees or Patriots fan...eesh...)

Solid day 1.

I really hope Terunofuji decides to drop out as soon as those 10 wins are unattainable. He really needs some time off.

Great stuff from Aminishiki, hope he can stick around for awhile.

Onosho continuing what he started last basho, granted Harumafuji is clearly beat up.

Kisenosato seems healthy, just looked a little jittery and maybe hesitant. Hopefully he can find form quick.

just finished day 1.

only one day in, but i'm still impressed by asanoyama and onosho. it's still really early in both of their top division careers, and obviously asanoyama moreso, but i think they're both capable of going far.

aminishiki looks like he hasn't lost a step.

and yeah, i wish terunofuji would step away for a tournament (or more) and come back without his injuries. it really doesn't look like he'll be able to but even if he gets his 10 wins this tournament he's just going to struggle to maintain his ozeki rank again, and nothing will really change. tochinoshin dropped way down after sitting out to recover and was back in the top division really quickly. on the other hand toyonoshima did the same and has been struggling in makushita, so there's no guarantees.

Day 2- A few rikishi should step away. Heal up and come back better.

day 2 aminishiki... the definition of effortless.

early days, but the ozeki are looking decent so far.

and yeah, i expect harumafuji and terunofuji to pull out of the tournament.

Harumafuji is lucky he pulled off the comeback last basho, would probably be getting the calls again right now.

This doesn't sound good for him though
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...low-wrestler-beer-bottle-report/#.WgqBhDNMHqA
wow, that's obviously really bad for harumafuji.

a similar incident took down asashoryu. asashoryu obviously had a longer rap sheet, and not that it makes much of a difference but he assaulted a random waiter instead of a fellow wrestler, but i would expect harumafuji to be asked to retire because of this.

Note to self: Never drink with Mongolians.

Would like some back story about the incident, but we’ll likely not get it.

And yeah, seeing how there are four Yokozuna at the moment, I see this not ending well for Harumafuji.

Note to self: Never drink with Mongolians.

Would like some back story about the incident, but we’ll likely not get it.

And yeah, seeing how there are four Yokozuna at the moment, I see this not ending well for Harumafuji.
This is the most details I have seen on it so far
https://tachiai.org/2017/11/14/sumos-harumafuji-scandal/amp/

Definitely think he's done at this point. He was already riding a fine line with a lot of his recent performances and injuries.

This is the most details I have seen on it so far
https://tachiai.org/2017/11/14/sumos-harumafuji-scandal/amp/

Definitely think he's done at this point. He was already riding a fine line with a lot of his recent performances and injuries.
Well fuck. This really blows.

As inconsistent as he has been in the ring, when he is on form he is at times seemingly unbeatable. Definitely one of the most entertaining rikishi, win or lose.

This will be a massive loss.

Day 4- I honestly hope Harumafuji isn't forced to retire. Shitty situation in general. Wait and see game.

takakeisho was nice and aggressive, but kisenosato looked awful on day 4.

Not sure what Kisenosato was doing, looked lost in there

Hakuho is looking super sharp.

Last edited:
Back