SUMO - 2017 Aki Basho (Sept. 10th - Sept. 24th)

day 14:

let's see that playoff.

Can't wait for tomorrow! The potential for the play off and the weird basho has been awesome.

I'm pulling for Harumafuji. He had a disastrous first week, so bad that I was starting to think this may very well be the end for him. The fact that he's a win away from a playoff is pretty remarkable.

final day:

i'll post my thoughts later in the day to avoid spoiling anything.

what a great end to a crazy tournament. i'm sure harumafuji had a lot of pressure on his shoulders as the only yokozuna, and despite being in poor condition himself he continued on as the sole yokozuna and was able to bounce back well from the early losses. 11-4 may be a poor record for a yusho champion, but harumafuji showed great heart to win the tournament.

great tournament for a lot of the lower guys too. asanoyama had a great debut tournament with a 10-5 record, being in the yusho race, and taking the fighting spirit prize. and onosho has been phenomenal in the top division, going 10-5 in all three of his top division tournaments and getting two fighting spirit prizes.

Great to see Harumafuji pull it off, like many I was afraid he might get pressure to retire had his first week performances carried into the second.

Looking forward to seeing Aminishiki likely back in Makuuchi in November. Hopefully we also get a few of the sanyaku guys back in decent shape as well, wrap everyone up in bubble wrap until then.

Back