SUMO - 2017 Aki Basho (Sept. 10th - Sept. 24th)

day 3 NHK (being uploaded by another channel, Japan 2020):

Oh Harumafuji, it was a blatant matta but you of all people should know to go until the gyoji calls it out
yeah, harumafuji shouldn't have stopped fighting. looked like his hands were down but kotoshogiku's weren't so he must have though kotoshogiku wasn't ready. it was a good tachiai though so it was all a big mistake from harumafuji.

also, takanoiwa's match was a learning experience for me because i had no idea they wore mouth guards.

also, takanoiwa's match was a learning experience for me because i had no idea they wore mouth guards.
I'm not sure but it seems like it's not required. I have only ever seen one a few times and I think that's the first time I seen one pop out in a match.

Weird leaders after 4 days as was somewhat expected. Harumafuji has to be kicking himself over yesterday. Also I hope Terunofuji finally takes a tournament off if this basho continues as is.

I'm not sure but it seems like it's not required. I have only ever seen one a few times and I think that's the first time I seen one pop out in a match.
yeah, i assume they probably use mouth guards in college sumo (or at least i'm sure they're more common) and in amateur sumo, and as more and more guys are transferring over from there they're bringing the mouth guards with them. definitely a smart thing to wear, but they seem really anachronistic.

from the very beginning this tournament was heading towards a weird ending, and it's definitely still on track.

sucks to see terunofuji like this. if he's healthy he's yokozuna level, but in this shape he just can't compete.

some great performances by the maegashira guys. i was expecting the challengers for the yusho to be the sanyaku rank guys, but the maegashira have been showing off.

day 7 kintamayama:

day 7 NHK:

two great matches in a row on day 7, with chiyonokuni vs. arawashi and takanoiwa vs. kagayaki.

harumafuji vs. shohozan was a nail-biter too.

fun, bloody match between shohozan and yoshikaze. they're so similar, but yoshikaze's experience allowed him to stay composed during shohozan's onslaught.

onosho is looking great too. two 10-5 tournaments in a row in his first two top division tournaments, and in the yusho race midway through his third. pretty amazing stuff.

A lot of big and rare techniques being executed in all divisions this basho

this has been my face during the basho
225413-24fdc2c3653a552449049695107262ea.jpg

Day 9-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 9.34.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 9.34.30 AM.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
man, chiyotairyu can look like such a killer. i know he struggled a lot but if he can compete like this consistently, and finish with his fantastic tsuppari instead of relying too much on pulling his opponents, he'll be around the top for a while.

day 10 kintamayama:

shohozan vs. takarafuji was one of the funniest sumo matches i've ever seen.

So it looks like Goeido all but has this clinched. Wasn't his zensho yusho last year also while he was kadoban?

Ishiura doesn't look good at all this basho but I kind of think he should lay off the submarine a bit, or at least figure out how to set it up better. Everyone is getting an immediate read on it and blowing it up.

So it looks like Goeido all but has this clinched. Wasn't his zensho yusho last year also while he was kadoban?

Ishiura doesn't look good at all this basho but I kind of think he should lay off the submarine a bit, or at least figure out how to set it up better. Everyone is getting an immediate read on it and blowing it up.
yeah, ishiura's opening is being countered pretty much every day this tournament. too bad, but he needs to find another way to sneak in on his opponents. maybe trying to get more to the side of his opponents at the tachiai, not necessarily with henkas, but harumafuji style. nothing wrong with someone ishiura's size pulling henkas often, but i don't think that's really his style.

max holloway with sakuraba, former ozeki konishiki and former yokozuna musashimaru:

i'd guess they're at either konishiki or musashimaru's restaurant.

day 11:

day 12:

nice harite from chiyoshoma in the rematch that shouldn't have happened as it seemed to me he clearly won the first match.

also tremendous strength from tochinoshin, and great match between takakeisho and yoshikaze.

Well we have an actual yusho race now. Disappointed that Yoshikaze finally lost but its been a weird basho and there's a very slim chance he can still pull this off.

day 13:

great fast sumo from harumafuji. also nice to see the yusho race still interesting.

Back