SUMO - 2016 Nagoya Basho (July 10th - July 24th)

english highlights for the first 7 days (hopefully one will be available for day 8 soon), thanks to @gorgonon for pointing it out to me.

here's day 8 in japanese, until the english version is available:

What an EPIC day. Kisenosato wins a great victory, and bot yokozunas fall! Wow

Ura with the win too :) alil sad cause I like ishiura too

Lol ikiois win was straight out a movie, he closed his eyes and beat the bully

day 9 highlights in english (looks like it's only the second half of the day):

japanese highlights (should be the whole day):

can't believe hakuho lost like that. absolutely crazy.

still a long way to go, but the yusho is completely up for grabs now.

can't believe hakuho lost like that. absolutely crazy.

still a long way to go, but the yusho is completely up for grabs now.

it still barely makes sense to me. i get that he kinda wiffed and put himself off balance, but it didn't seem like it would have been enough to make his legs fail on him like that.

EDIT
just watched again and it almost seems like something went wrong with his right knee or ankle, but I dunno.

day 10:

and in english:

Last edited:
loved the tochinoshin vs. hakuho match. great drive from harumafuji with the hand pulling takayasu's knee too.

nice to see endo finally get a win.

day 11:

and in english:

Last edited:
day 12:

in english:

Last edited:

day 13. Unless Harumafuji loses out, hakuho takes another loss, and Kisenosato wins the next two days, we will not see a Japanese Yokozuna. Still a great basho.

day 13. Unless Harumafuji loses out, hakuho takes another loss, and Kisenosato wins the next two days, we will not see a Japanese Yokozuna. Still a great basho.

yeah, it seems like it's not going to happen for kisenosato this time. i guess it's not completely unreasonable though. not including takanoiwa in the conversation, kisenosato just has to beat hakuho tomorrow (possible), and goeido on the final day (likely), and have harumafuji lose to goeido tomorrow (unlikely), and hakuho win in the yokozuna match on the final day (likely). that would give kisenosato the yusho outright, and there are a lot of other possibilities to get him in a playoff.

harumafuji has been fighting really well this tournament. showing his speed and the power he derives from his speed really well.

Is it me or he's fighting with a lower stance than usual? His two losses came from overcommitting and falling on his face.

Is it me or he's fighting with a lower stance than usual? His two losses came from overcommitting and falling on his face.
yeah, he fights like that a lot, but he might be lowering himself even more now. it's certainly a risky stance that causes him to lose balance a lot, but he's doing well with it this tournament.

This is my first Basho that I'm watching (thanks for making these threads, Fork!), and I gotta say, I'm hooked. It's been a great time so far and already can't wait 'till the next one!

Back