SUMO - 2016 Nagoya Basho (July 10th - July 24th)

Fork

Sumo
@Gold
Reaction score
head_img_7.jpg

A new sumo tournament has already started, so I'll just get this thread up quickly. Here's the banzuke for this July tournament in Nagoya:

f3xnwj.jpg

The only wrestler making his debut in the top division is Kitaharima, coming in at M15 after a 9-6 tournament in Juryo in May. He had one of the slowest rises to the top division in history, having 85 tournaments in the lower divisions before earning this promotion.

I'll skip the Maegashira guys, and go straight to the sanyaku. Good to see Takayasu back in the sanyaku for the first time in nine tournaments. Also good to see Kotoyuki stick around in the sanyaku after making his Sekiwake debut last tournament. There was the possibility of him getting run over last tournament, but he had a decent tournament and got some more great experience against the best. Both Tochinoshin and Kaisei are making their Sekiwake debuts this tournament, which is interesting. As I'm a bigger fan of Tochinoshin, I'm really glad to see him doing so well after dropping so far down.

As far as the Ozeki, it's the same old same old for most of them, but Terunofuji is kadoban this tournament, and facing demotion. It's awful to see the condition he's in and how much he's struggling, and I think it would actually be pretty impressive to see him get a winning record and I'm worried that he won't. He certainly doesn't deserve demotion, and it would be fantastic to see him secure his rank. And Kisenosato is riding some great momentum but no yusho wins so no Yokozuna promotion. I'm sure that's what he's looking for, and I'm sure there's a lot of talk about that promotion and all of the possible scenarios that could lead to it. A third straight jun-yusho second place finish in a row might be enough, but I'm not sure.

It's also pretty much the same for the Yokozuna. Harumafuji and Kakuryu need to avoid early losses and do a better job of challenging for the championship, and Hakuho is on a nice undefeated streak that he'll be looking to continue.

-----------------------------

So there we go!

Stay tuned to Kintamayama's YouTube Channel for daily highlights of the top division, and the taka sumo YouTube Channel for possible daily posts of the NHK digest of the top day's action (in Japanese).

And as usual, for anyone who'll be watching the sport for the first time, please feel free to ask any questions you might have here and someone will try to answer them. Also be sure to check out my Introduction to SUMO thread for a brief (although slightly outdated at this point) overview of the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

Last edited:
Day 1 NHK highlights episode:

As far as the Ozeki, it's the same old same old for most of them, but Terunofuji is kadoban this tournament, and facing demotion. It's awful to see the condition he's in and how much he's struggling, and I think it would actually be pretty impressive to see him get a winning record and I'm worried that he won't. He certainly doesn't deserve demotion, and it would be fantastic to see him secure his rank. And Kisenosato is riding some great momentum but no yusho wins so no Yokozuna promotion. I'm sure that's what he's looking for, and I'm sure there's a lot of talk about that promotion and all of the possible scenarios that could lead to it. A third straight jun-yusho second place finish in a row might be enough, but I'm not sure.

If Kisenosato is able to get a promotion, is having 4 Yokozuna at once a big deal? Is there like an unofficial cap on # of Yokozuna at one time?

Edit- apparently, kintamayama said screw not making videos.
that's good news, it would suck to not have his videos anymore, as i assume these NHK highlights aren't going to be uploaded consistently.

here's day 2 though:

and regarding day 1. great start for kitaharima, and perfect sumo from harumafuji. also glad to see terunofuji start off with a win.

If Kisenosato is able to get a promotion, is having 4 Yokozuna at once a big deal? Is there like an unofficial cap on # of Yokozuna at one time?
yeah, having four active yokozuna would be a big deal, for sure. it had happened before, but it must be very rare and not often with four healthy yokozuna. in the late 90's and 2000 akebono, musashimaru, takanohana, and wakanohana were "active" yokozuna and all competed in the a few tournaments at the same time, but they were pulling out of tournaments and unable to compete constantly.

there's no cap on the number of yokozuna though, if they feel someone deserves the promotion they'll give it.

just finished watching day 2, and my main man sokokurai had a classic power tsuri-dashi lift out. love seeing that.

also, although kitaharima lost on day 2, he's looking like an exciting smaller guy. hopefully he gets enough wins to stick around in the top division.

day 3:

not sure if the NHK highlights will be available, but luckily there's still kintamayama to fall back on.

day 4 from kintamayama:

awful tournament for kotoshogiku and endo so far.

day 3 NHK highlights:

man, the way Hakuho guided Mitakeumi's face directly into his shoulder is brutal.

at first I didn't see him take a big hit, but thought he looked dazed after the match. then they play the slow-mo replay and I see he got walloped!

How did both kisenosato and hakuhoblose on the same day.

Kisenosato really fumbled that one

day 5 NHK highlights:

Last edited:
How did both kisenosato and hakuhoblose on the same day.

Kisenosato really fumbled that one
yeah, kisenosato was dominating that match and almost had tochiozan out a couple of times. completely threw it away at the end.

and great show of strength from shohozan against terunofuji who's looking more like himself this tournament.

Also, isn't Hakuho getting close to his 1000th win in makuuchi?

Will Takarafuji jump to the Ozeki now?
he'll need to put together an impressive run to get to ozeki. he's off to a good start this tournament, but he'll need a lot more and i'd be surprised if he could do it soon.

Also, isn't Hakuho getting close to his 1000th win in makuuchi?
wow, he is close to 1000 in his career (992), but at 898 in makuuchi. the 1000th career win will be a pretty huge milestone.

day 6 from kintamayama:

NHK highlights version:

Last edited:
kisenosato just barely survived day 6. terrible tournament for kotoshogiku, and endo is just offering no resistance whatsoever.

great job on day 6 from takarafuji.

Back