SUMO - 2016 Aki Basho (Sept. 11th - 25th) (bonus GAME hosted by Gorgonon)

Fork

Sumo
@Gold
Reaction score
Time for the start of another honbasho. This time we're back in Tokyo at the Kokugikan and as always there will be plenty to talk about. Potential historic promotions, potential high-profile demotions, debuting rikishi, and more. Le'ts get right to the rankings:

rseemf.png

*Debuting Wrestlers: There are two wrestlers making there debut in the top division this month. First, at East Maegashira 13 we have Amakaze. As you may be able to guess from his name, he's coming out of Oguruma Beya, the same stable as his very experienced seniors Yoshikaze and Takekaze. He had a great tournament in Juryo in the last tournament, going 13-2 and winning the Juryo championship. However, he had been ranked quite low in Juryo, at the West 11th Juryo rank, so he received a huge boost up the rankings which might be too much for him. I wouldn't expect a winning record from him this time, but it'll be good experience for him, and maybe his championship last time has lit a fire under him. Joining him in making his top division debut is Chiyoshoma, a Mongolian wrestler training (again, you guessed it) out of the Kokonoe stable. He'll be feeling bittersweet after making his top division debut just after the passing of his stablemaster, former Yokozuna Chiyonofuji. Chiyoshoma and the other Kokonoe Chiyo boys will want to put in a great show this tournament to honor their late stablemaster. He's relatively light, but had been settling in to the top Juryo ranks, getting winning records, so the step up to the top division won't be as jarring as it will for Amakaze. I expect a winning record from him.

*Maegashira: Looking at the rest of the Maegashira ranks, after a disastrous July tournament Endo finds himself all the way down at M14. He's hugely popular, but his injury has really put the brakes on his rise up the ranks (which was frustratingly slow already). I think he should be able to get a winning record at this rank, but I'm not going to expect anything too phenomenal. Gagamaru is back up to the top division after dropping to Juryo for one tournament in July. I often find myself rooting for Gentleman Gaga and I find him pretty likable, but he has been struggling at the bottom of the top division for a while, so I don't know what to expect from him. Higher up the ranks at M8, we see Kotoyuki who had an even worse July tournament than Endo. Going 2-13 has dropped him all the way down from Komosubi, so he'll have a real desire to climb back up into the Sanyaku ranks. We've seen some great sumo from him, so I think he'll be able to start that climb here in September, and get a pretty good record. He's definitely capable of double-digit wins here, which would be just what he needs. Jumping way up the ranks, we have Ichinojo at M3 after a decent 9-6 tournament in July. Unfortunately he's dealing with a back injury and may have to pull out of the tournament. He injured his back during one of the tours and spent time in an osteopathic clinic and hasn't been training much at all leading up to this tournament. Hopefully, as so often happens in sumo, he doesn't try to compete with a bad injury and just exacerbates the problem.

*Komosubi and Sekiwake: Moving up into the Sanyaku ranks, at Komosubi we have a Sanyaku regular in Tochiozan. He's doing well lately, and just needs a winning record here to settle back in to the upper ranks. He's joined by Kaisei who fell out of Sekiwake after a 7-8 record last time. His last tournament wasn't a disaster for him, and I'd expect him to go either 8-7 or 7-8 here. I feel like settling into the upper ranks is all about consistency, and the last two tournaments for him have been right on that winning or losing edge, which is a fine place for Kaisei to be. Then in the Sekiwake ranks we have two guys coming off of great tournaments, both making their Sekiwake debuts. Takarafuji went 10-5 in July, got a Kinboshi for beating a Yokozuna, and got the Kanto-sho Fighting Spirit Prize. It's great to see him doing well, and I certainly hope he can get another winning record here. His counterpart at Sekiwake this tournament will be Takayasu, who went 11-4 last tournament and picked up the Gino-sho Technique Prize. He's shown some really exciting and aggressive sumo which is a lot of fun to watch, so I'll definitely be rooting for him too. Just as an interesting piece of history, the last three tournaments have all had pairs of wrestlers making their Sekiwake debuts. There haven't been three successive tournaments with two Sekiwake debuts since 1938 (when there were four such tournaments in a row).

*Ozeki: While we have a couple of surging Sekiwake, the Ozeki ranks are a bit different. Two of the Ozeki this tournament will be fighting to preserve their ranks and avoid demotion. Kotoshogiku was only able to pick up one win in the first six days of the July tournament before dropping out. It's the same old injury woes for Kotoshogiku and I think it will be tough for him to avoid demotion. Also facing demotion, Goeido struggled last tournament and ended with a 7-8 record. I don't remember any obvious injuries he had to deal with, so although I think it should be a bit easier for him to get a winning record, it'll still be difficult. Terunofuji narrowly avoided demotion last tournament, getting his 8th win on the final day. He'll be relieved to still be competing as an Ozeki but bouncing in and out of potential demotion Kadoban status is no way to live your life as an Ozeki, and Terunofuji is too good to be in that position. He just needs to get the injuries sorted out. Last tournament he looked good at the beginning and then started struggling as the tournament went on and I'd expect the same thing this time around. Standing above all of these struggling Ozeki, as usual, is Kisenosato who will be again looking for a championship win to get him Yokozuna promotion. He came so close last tournament, and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes right down to the wire again.

*Yokozuna: Finally, looking to the Yokozuna we have Kakuryu who is also coming off a tournament he had to pull out of. Presumably he'll be competing in this tournament though, and he'll want to make up for lost time. He hasn't looked too great since winning the tournament in last years' September basho, so it would be great to see a resurgence from him, even if he doesn't get the Yusho. It's odd seeing Hakuho anywhere other than the absolute top rank, and as usual injuries has led to him struggling quite a bit at the end of the last tournament. As of the time that I wrote this it's still unclear whether he will compete in this tournament or not. He's having a lot of trouble with his knee and had trouble with his toe last tournament, and has said that if he's not ready he won't enter, but that he's doing everything he can to get ready to compete. And at the top of them all, Harumafuji had a great tournament in July and will be bringing some good momentum into the Aki Basho. He just needs to keep it up, avoid too many early losses, and stick to his speedy sumo.

-----------------------------

So there we go!

Stay tuned to Kintamayama's YouTube Channel for daily highlights of the top division, and the taka sumo YouTube Channel for possible daily posts of the NHK digest of the top day's action (in Japanese). Also check out Robert Mensing's YouTube Channel for English versions of the NHK digest episodes (although I don't think they include all of the top division matches). Or go straight to the source, on NHK World's Sumo website.

And as usual, for anyone who'll be watching the sport for the first time, please feel free to ask any questions you might have here and someone will try to answer them. Also be sure to check out my Introduction to SUMO thread for a brief (although slightly outdated at this point) overview of the sport.

@gorgonon also mentioned wanting to host a game for the tournament here, which sounds like a lot of fun so I'll leave the details to him!

Hakke-yoi!

15ecw7o.png

Last edited:
Hello! My name is gorgonon and I'm a newbie to Sumo, but thanks to GoForkYourself's kind Sumo threads here, I've followed the last Basho and want to contribute with a Game if I may.

GoForkYourself, a great person that has always shared his knowledge (and Sumo highlight clips!), has granted me permission to post this for any fans who want to challenge their skills at prediction. I've done Games on sherdog before, my most recent one was a Trivia Game for TUF 23: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-tuf-23-trivial-games-of-reality-and-leisure-vol-3-0.3223595/

Here I will give the Banzuke rankings and Tournament-Wide Questions, I will then have Day bouts that we can guess on during the Basho. They haven't released Day 1 matches, so when they do I'll have a 'Top 5' bouts to choose from.

Once again, thanks to Fork for being the coolest and hope all of us can have fun with this Autumn Basho Competition!!!

------
------
------

But first, something must be said. This Gorgonon Game is in honor of the passing of the legendary Chiyonofuji, seen here with one of his gorgeous daughters.

[moment of silence] :(

BOugvlR.jpg

--------------
----------
------
---
-

W54cqjo.jpg

Xj7EM9J.jpg

-
---
-----
-------
---------
------------
---------------

SLwrVvL.jpg

ALL ARE WELCOME HERE!!! If anyone wants to join, please do!

[I will put the game in Spoiler Tags so it doesn't crowd the front page. Sorry!!]
So, with that I will present the Rankings for this Basho, straight from the Japanese Times source code: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/sumo/rankings/2016-autumn-basho/

WYvgkcJ.png
GUc2l5l.png
m7K3pfq.png
orJLnQP.png
pgLMfbz.png

Tournament-Wide Basho Questions

en_main1-160819.jpg

[Any ties will result in both getting points]​

1. Will Kisenosato do it? Will he win the Basho and become the next Yokozuna? [50pts]

A) Yes
B) No

L1uZBzDm.jpg

Check this funny japanese sketch comic artist do sumo portraits!

http://tannen.biz/news/archives/category/lanking/page/2

2. Pick your top 5 in order. If you underguess, you'll get the amount you underguessed. So if someone you thought would be 4th becomes 2nd, you'll get the 4th level points.

1st: 100pts
2nd: 80pts
3rd: 60pts
4th: 40pts
5th: 20pts

3. Pick 3 rikishi from the maegashira you think will make it to kachi-koshi.

From Rank #1-5 ---------------25pts each
From Rank #6-10--------------50pts each
From Rank #11-16-----------100pts each

4. Pick 3 rikishi from the Champion Ranks that you think will flounder to make-koshi.

Yokozuna--------------------100pts each
Ozeki---------------------------80pts each
Sekiwake----------------------60pts each
Komusubi----------------------30pts each

5. Will 'Sad Eyes' Kakuryu do better than his yokozuna rival, Harumafuji? [50pts]

vdADgsCm.jpg
GD4ISwdm.jpg

A) In honor of fallen Hakuho, Kakuryu will have the Basho of his life and tie or beat Harumafuji
B) Harumafuji harpoons another whale and wins this battle of time one more time.

6. With what is for sure the greatest Sumo 'Odd Couple' Double-Debut in recent history, who will outshine the other from the Sekiwake debuting duo, Takayasu vs. Takarafuji? [50pts]

takayasu_head.jpg
vs
Takarafuji.jpg

A) Tough Guy Takayasu will do better
B) Nice Guy Takarafuji is simply the best!

7. Out of the 3 Kokonoke Stable participants this Basho, which one will have the best record for their old boss Chiyonofuji in the sky? [61pts]

A) Bouncing Chiyootori
B) Chiyonokuni
C) New Guy trying to make a great impression, Chiyoshoma

8. Two Ozeki Kadobans, gotta make you wonder. Pick the outcome you think will happen this Basho. [80pts]

A) Ozeki Goeido and Kotoshogiku are safe with a kachi-koshi
B) Goeido has a kachi-koshi and Koto, sadly, gets the make-koshi and gets demoted
C) Koto has a kachi-koshi and Goeido, sadly, gets the make-koshi and gets demoted
D) Both bring shame with a losing record, make-koshi (making room for the "Taka2Times" Sekiwake Duo to jump to Ozeki at once! :cool:)

9. Some new faces to the Makuuchi Division, first timers and familiar return to the stomping grounds. Which one does best? [100pts]

A) newbie Chiyoshoma
B) newbie Amakaze
C) returning Homarefuji
D) returning Gagamaru
E) returning Kyokushuho

10. Which Rikishi will be the leader (or tied with the lead) going into the midway point (Nakabi) of this Basho?

sFj8t0U.png

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited:
Here is the 2nd part of the competition:

Grand Autumn Basho Banzuke Predictor

In this second part of the Tourney-wide contest, we'll give you all the Rikishi and you tell us what you think their record for this Basho will be.

1. If you get a bullseye, the exact record, that's 200pts!!!
  2. If you're off by 1 match, it's 100pts,
  3. and if you're two off, you only get 50pts.
  4. For every match you're off beyond that, you have to deduct 25pts each. So if it's 3 or more off of the finishing record, we start going into negative territory, :eek: and it will be deducted (-25) each match further from your total. So if you're 5 wins off, that's -75 points from your total!

If they retire before the end, we count the rest of the forfeited matches as losses.

EDIT: Here's a new list of the Rikishi and their rank that the Basho put up, looks cool:

Q77Q1T4.png
s4H4SVs.png
X6HgU2w.png
Yx69dgA.png
havfH4Z.png

I was thinking, maybe this list is too long with me putting the letters under all of them, so I reformatted so the letters are on top and bottom, and not repeated over and over and over again, which may be too long, also, to put it in spoiler since it's so long, too:
Choose one letter for every Rikishi # that reflects what you think their record will be at the end:

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

1. harumafuji
3. kakuryu
4. kisenosato
5. terunofuji
6. goeido
7. kotoshogiku
8. takayasu
9. takarafuji
10. kaisei

11. tochiozan
12. okinoumi
13. yoshikaze
14. tochinoshin
15. shodai
16. takanoiwa
17. ichinojo
18. myogiryu
19. chiyootori

20. aoiyama
21. mitakeumi
22. chiyonokuni
23. tamawashi
24. shohozan
25. ikioi
26. daishomaru
27. kotoyuki
28. nishikigi
29. takekaze

30. arawashi
31. sadanoumi
32. sokokurai
33. homarefuji
34. gagamaru
35. chiyoshoma
36. amakaze
37. toyohibiki
38. endo
39. kagayaki

40. tokushoryu
41. kyokushuho
42. daieisho

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

Last edited:
here are my picks, to give people an idea of what they would look like.

1. Will Kisenosato do it? Will he win the Basho and become the next Yokozuna? [50pts]

A) Yes

2. Pick your top 5 in order. If you underguess, you'll get the amount you underguessed. So if someone you thought would be 4th becomes 2nd, you'll get the 4th level points.

1st: Kisenosato
2nd: Harumafuji
3rd: Kakuryu
4th: Terunofuji
5th: Ikioi

3. Pick 3 rikishi from the maegashira you think will make it to kachi-koshi.

Kotoyuki
Sokokurai
Endo

4. Pick 3 rikishi from the Champion Ranks that you think will flounder to make-koshi.

Kotoshogiku
Takarafuji
Tochiozan

5. Kakuryu vs. Harumafuji [50pts]

B) Harumafuji.

6. With what is for sure the greatest Sumo 'Odd Couple' Double-Debut in recent history, who will outshine the other from the Sekiwake debuting duo, Takayasu vs. Takarafuji? [50pts]

A) Tough Guy Takayasu will do better

7. Out of the 3 Kokonoke Stable participants this Basho, which one will have the best record for their old boss Chiyonofuji in the sky? [61pts]

B) Chiyonokuni

8. Two Ozeki Kadobans, gotta make you wonder. Pick the outcome you think will happen this Basho. [80pts]

A) Ozeki Goeido and Kotoshogiku are safe with a kachi-koshi

9. Some new faces to the Makuuchi Division, first timers and familiar return to the stomping grounds. Which one does best? [100pts]

E) returning Kyokushuho

10. 10. Which Rikishi will be the leader (or tied with the lead) going into the midway point (Nakabi) of this Basho? [33pts]

B) Kisenosato

1. harumafuji
M) 12-3

2. hakuho (i assume he's off the list essentially, but just to be clear i'll put him down for 0-15)
A) 0-15

3. kakuryu
K) 10-5

4. kisenosato
N) 13-2

5. terunofuji
J) 9-6

6. goeido
I) 8-7

7. kotoshogiku
I) 8-7

8. takayasu
J) 9-6

9. takarafuji
I) 8-7

10. kaisei
I) 8-7

11. tochiozan
I) 8-7

12. okinoumi
G) 6-9

13. yoshikaze
I) 8-7

14. tochinoshin
I) 8-7

15. shodai
H) 7-8

16. takanoiwa
H) 7-8

17. ichinojo
G) 6-9

18. myogiryu
I) 8-7

19. chiyootori
I) 8-7

20. aoiyama
J) 9-6

21. mitakeumi
I) 8-7

22. chiyonokuni
I) 8-7

23. tamawashi
F) 5-10

24. shohozan
I) 8-7

25. ikioi
J) 9-6

26. daishomaru
H) 7-8

27. kotoyuki
I) 8-7

28. nishikigi
H) 7-8

29. takekaze
I) 8-7

30. arawashi
H) 7-8

31. sadanoumi
I) 8-7

32. sokokurai
I) 8-7

33. homarefuji
G) 6-9

34. gagamaru
I) 8-7

35. chiyoshoma
I) 8-7

36. amakaze
H) 7-8

37. toyohibiki
I) 8-7

38. endo
K) 10-5

39. kagayaki
H) 7-8

40. tokushoryu
I) 8-7

41. kyokushuho
I) 8-7

42. daieisho
I) 8-7

not sure who may or may not be sitting this tournament out, so if we find out Hakuho or someone isn't going to be participating i might change some things around before the start.

Last edited:
and just for some pre-tournament news,

one of my favorites, Tokitenku having a press conference to announce his retirement after unfortunately being diagnosed with a malignant lymphoma:

obviously it's shocking how much weight he's lost, and with his head shaved he won't be able to participate in the traditional retirement ceremony, the danpatsu-shiki where requested guests take turns cutting off strands of the wrestler's topknot. although he's said he hopes to have the danpatsu-shiki after his hair grows back following his treatment. he was in good spirits during the press conference though, and apparently only started crying when talking about his friend and stablemate Toyonoshima who is struggling with injuries lately and being forced to miss tournaments.

he's already working as a coach and has a part-time job as a firefighter (not really):
Crt_Lf_CSUMAEJpjd.jpg

20160907-OHT1I50078-L.jpg

------------------------

and just to remember the good old days, his patented ketaguri:

one of his biggest wins, beating yokozuna Asashoryu on the first day of the 2007 march tournament:

a nice KO:

l.jpg

one of my favorites, Tokitenku having a press conference to announce his retirement after unfortunately being diagnosed with a malignant lymphoma:

obviously it's shocking how much weight he's lost, and with his head shaved he won't be able to participate in the traditional retirement ceremony, the danpatsu-shiki where requested guests take turns cutting off strands of the wrestler's topknot. although he's said he hopes to have the danpatsu-shiki after his hair grows back following his treatment. he was in good spirits during the press conference though, and apparently only started crying when talking about his friend and stablemate Toyonoshima who is struggling with injuries lately and being forced to miss tournaments.

he's already working as a coach and has a part-time job as a firefighter (not really):
Crt_Lf_CSUMAEJpjd.jpg

------------------------

one of his biggest wins, beating yokozuna Asashoryu on the first day of the 2007 march tournament:

a nice KO:

l.jpg

Man, that's a real bummer to hear. When I first started watching sumo I was immediately drawn to Tokitenku because of his foot sweeps and trips.

Here is the 2nd part of the competition:

Grand Autumn Basho Banzuke Predictor

In this second part of the Tourney-wide contest, we'll give you all the Rikishi and you tell us what you think their record for this Basho will be.

1. If you get a bullseye, the exact record, that's 200pts!!!
  2. If you're off by 1 match, it's 100pts,
  3. and if you're two off, you only get 50pts.
  4. For every match you're off beyond that, you have to deduct 25pts each. So if it's 3 or more off of the finishing record, we start going into negative territory, :eek: and it will be deducted (-25) each match further from your total. So if you're 5 wins off, that's -75 points from your total!

If they retire before the end, we count the rest of the forfeited matches as losses.

1. harumafuji

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

2. hakuho

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

3. kakuryu

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

4. kisenosato

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

5. terunofuji

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

6. goeido

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

7. kotoshogiku

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

8. takayasu

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

9. takarafuji

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

10. kaisei

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

11. tochiozan

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

12. okinoumi

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

13. yoshikaze

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

14. tochinoshin

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

15. shodai

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

16. takanoiwa

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

17. ichinojo

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

18. myogiryu

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

19. chiyootori

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

20. aoiyama

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

21. mitakeumi

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

22. chiyonokuni

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

23. tamawashi

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

24. shohozan

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

25. ikioi

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

26. daishomaru

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

27. kotoyuki

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

28. nishikigi

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

29. takekaze

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

30. arawashi

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

31. sadanoumi

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

32. sokokurai

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

33. homarefuji

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

34. gagamaru

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

35. chiyoshoma

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

36. amakaze

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

37. toyohibiki

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

38. endo

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

39. kagayaki

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

40. tokushoryu

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

41. kyokushuho

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

42. daieisho

A) 0-15
B) 1-14
C) 2-13
D) 3-12
E) 4-11
F) 5-10
G) 6-9
H) 7-8
I) 8-7
J) 9-6
K) 10-5
L) 11-4
M) 12-3
N) 13-2
O) 14-1
P) 15-0

Wow, you really went for it huh?

A couple years ago we used to do tournaments where every day you would pick one Rikishi to win that day. You could only pick each Rikishi once per tournament. At the end, whoever has the most correct guesses wins. It was pretty enjoyable.

Wow, you really went for it huh?

A couple years ago we used to do tournaments where every day you would pick one Rikishi to win that day. You could only pick each Rikishi once per tournament. At the end, whoever has the most correct guesses wins. It was pretty enjoyable.

Man, that sounds like a great system. Very strategic, too! I hope you can join the game, Judo, it would be great to have competitors from way back who know these Rikishi well and have that competitive spirit throughout the Basho along with insight and context.

If you don't mind, do you think I can borrow that system for the Daily Basho picks? We'd pick from 3-5 matches, and I'd also include the Golden Pick, which would be a Rikishi you think would win that Day, but like you say, you could only pick each Rikishi once per tournament. Whoever picks the most will get a 300pt Basho Bonus added to the Total Score!

I'm very new to the sport, so I just have a few fan favorites (The 'Taka' Twins -- Takarafuji and Takayasu, as well as rooting to see another yokozuna being elevated, so I follow Kisenosato. Also impressed by Harumafuji stoicism and Hakuho's heelism), but don't really have a grasp for the subtleties and backstory of what's going on.

GoFork has been great explaining things to newbies like myself with the beginner's thread and faq, and I just want to repay that kindness as well as learn more about all the Rikishi through a friendly competition, and introduce myself to you guys as well! :D

Crt_Lf_CSUMAEJpjd.jpg

------------------------

a nice KO:

l.jpg

Thanks for including some matches and background, here's to hoping he gets that retirement ceremony. It seems with Rikishi, they're completely invested and committed to the honor and tradition of the sport, it literally takes over their lives and identity, so this may be something Tokitenku can use during his battle as a goal to strive and fight toward. Sometimes we need that in order to get through tough times, the thought of better days and a mark on the world.

Man, that's a real bummer to hear. When I first started watching sumo I was immediately drawn to Tokitenku because of his foot sweeps and trips.
same here, he was one of the first guys i followed because of his unique style.

Thanks for including some matches and background, here's to hoping he gets that retirement ceremony. It seems with Rikishi, they're completely invested and committed to the honor and tradition of the sport, it literally takes over their lives and identity, so this may be something Tokitenku can use during his battle as a goal to strive and fight toward. Sometimes we need that in order to get through tough times, the thought of better days and a mark on the world.
yeah, well said. and i think he did get a small danpatsu-shiki before starting his treatment, but i'm sure he wants to have a more traditional one.

Hakuho has announced that he will be sitting out this tournament. he's dealing with a left knee injury, a right toe injury, and some kind of arthritis, which he thinks will all take around 4 weeks to heal properly.

translation from Kintamayama:
"I feel that when I return, I will become strong again.." he said. Regarding Kisenosato's tsuna run: "I can't say anything about that.. I'd like him to take advantage of the opportunity. This time I will not be fighting him-I will be rooting for him!!"

"I apologize to the fans..I did not want to cause any bother, but I will be away for the whole basho. I am looking forward to participating in the Aki Jungyo and the November tournament after concentrating on receiving treatment!!"

Crzjb_Sq_UAAARAgq.jpg

Last edited:
Due to the news about Hakuho, I have changed questions #5 and #10 from the game.

For #5, I put the only other yokozuna in the Basho, Kakuryu, in replacement for Hakuho

For #10, I changed the question to who will be in the lead at the Nakabi (midpoint) of the Basho.

---------
---------

5. Will Hakuho Kakuryu do better than his yokozuna rival, Harumafuji? [50pts]

20140328_kakuryu_smiling_article_main_image.jpg
GD4ISwdm.jpg

A) In honor of fallen Hakuho, Kakuryu will have the Basho of his life and tie or beat Harumafuji
B) Harumafuji harpoons another whale and wins this battle of time one more time.

10. Of these Top3, who will do the worst this Basho, Harumafuji, Hakuho or Kisenosato? [33pts]

A) Harumafuji worst
B) Hakuho bad
C) Kisenosato disappoint me so

[In lieu of a replacement for #10 question because of absence of Hakuho,
A new question will be presented]​

10. Which Rikishi will be the leader (or tied with the lead) going into the midway point (Nakabi) of this Basho?

Last edited:
1. A

1st: 100pts - Harumafuji
2nd: 80pts - Kisenosato
3rd: 60pts - Kakuryu
4th: 40pts - Takayasu
5th: 20pts - Takarafuji

3. Endo, Gagamaru, Chiyoshoma

4. Goeido, Kaisei, Kotoshogiku

5. B

6. B

7. A

8. B

9. A

10. Harumafuji

1. harumafuji - M
3. kakuryu - K
4. kisenosato - O
5. terunofuji - K
6. goeido - H
7. kotoshogiku - G
8. takayasu - L
9. takarafuji - M
10. kaisei - J
11. tochiozan - K
12. okinoumi - J
13. yoshikaze - L
14. tochinoshin - G
15. shodai - K
16. takanoiwa - M
17. ichinojo - E
18. myogiryu - G
19. chiyootori - L
20. aoiyama - J
21. mitakeumi - H
22. chiyonokuni - M
23. tamawashi - I
24. shohozan - K
25. ikioi - J
26. daishomaru - I
27. kotoyuki - L
28. nishikigi - I
29. takekaze - J
30. arawashi - H
31. sadanoumi - G
32. sokokurai - G
33. homarefuji - H
34. gagamaru - L
35. chiyoshoma - K
36. amakaze - F
37. toyohibiki - G
38. endo - J
39. kagayaki - H
40. tokushoryu - G
41. kyokushuho - I
42. daieisho - D

man, leave it to kisenosato and kakuryu to put up disappointing first day performances when it really matters.

I didn't know Chiyonofuji died. He was my favorite sumo wrestler. I got to watch him live in two honbasho in 1990.

in case you missed it, be sure to watch Ura vs. Osunaarashi from down in Juryo:

it's looking like we should be expecting big things from Ura.

I didn't know Chiyonofuji died. He was my favorite sumo wrestler. I got to watch him live in two honbasho in 1990.
yeah, it's a real shame that he passed away. great yokozuna, and he was still active and influential in the sumo world obviously.

day 2 english highlights:

and from kintamayama:

Back