Suggestions for a follow up to a failed tripod sweep when the opponent goes into a staggered stance

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hello guys!

I've recently really been enjoying use the tripod/ push/pull type sweep from open guard that Marcelo uses.

However , a few of the lads in the gym have started going into a staggered stance, so I cant reach the rear leg to complete the sweep and I'm only a short lad so my legs stop short!

Im faced with a leg close to me and looking for a follow up to this, any ideas??

Cheers!

Go to shin guard. Then maybe to single leg X.

Sweep.

Single leg X is a good point, the leg is right there. Dont have much experiance in single leg but I will start researching :)

If it's the sweep I think you guys are referring too were my left foot on their hip with right foot behind their knee cap than I was always taught to go for the sickle sweep if they step their back leg back too far. I found the sickle sweep to work really well in those situations.

If it's the sweep I think you guys are referring too were my left foot on their hip with right foot behind their knee cap than I was always taught to go for the sickle sweep if they step their back leg back too far. I found the sickle sweep to work really well in those situations.

That is the classic follow up. Alternatively, it is a good set up for DLR and 1 legged x attacks.

De LA riva if your leg too short for sickle swee

Yeah, if you are a true man you'll just stand up with the ankle grip and thunderously ankle pick the guy into the matz, maybe even ouchi the far leg. But I'm assuming this is straight BJJ style.

Thanks guys !
I'll have a look into the sickle sweep , any good videos you would recommend ? I'm not fond of DLR because my knee is a bit off ....

I would personally go to x guard, DLR ,RDLR or sit up sweeps.

going from tripod to sickle sweep is not a good technique and is something low belts will do anyway

Back