Submissions 101: Your opinion.

Ari,

I apologize for the judgement made on my part, it was just my honest opinion of the way I viewed the closing of the thread on your page. Sorry if I construed the situation in a way contrary to the truth.

I'm looking foward to the answers that you give to the questions I asked. It takes a really humble person to man up about his dealings when in the face of adversity.

Darcebrabo:

I'm getting to your questions buddy....I am just trying to go down the list. Give me a few minutes while I catch up.

cheers
Ari

I would bet that 90% of viewers of the web site believe him to be a BJJ black. All signs point to it, except a bit of text halfway down an FAQ section located below a bunch of ass kissery most won't read past. It's like everything else, if you wear the uniform/look/talk/act, people think X regardless of your intentions.

I use ad and flash block, so I have no idea if they are making money off advertising. If they're not, I don't think anybody is going to care too much.

Kind of funny that Geraci (a pro fighter, regardless of what you think of his record) wears a black he attributes to JJ in a Gameness gi, and those fruits from the YMCA wear their TKD/other silliness blacks in BJJ gis, and they get pounded hard for false advertising/lying, but this one gets a free pass.

Free videos that are easy to access are great, and one minute clips aren't going to steal students from anyone. The worst that happens from bad clips are people making money they shouldn't, and guys "learning" techniques in a fashion that leads to their destruction later on.

Should non BJJ martial artist be allowed to wear their gis with their belts?

This is a good topic you guys whould post on sherdog, It really is interesting to see the different sides to this issue. As I stated, and as Art Vanderley mistakingly pointed out ( I was intentionally misleading the public by wearing the 2 together).

As I stated, I wear the gis because they the best ones I've ever had. We do a lot of throwing, grabbing, and grappling in our system the the "BJJ KIMINOS" hold up better than any other I had over the last 20 years. The cut is also much better. My intention had nothing to do with deception but an oversight that I didn't think was an issue until some people started pointing it out.

MY opinion is that the kimono (atama, koral etc) is not the sole property of the BJJer and I'll still wear it when I teach my JJJ or gi grappling classes.

next....

Submissions 101, why not wear a Judo Gi?

I have tons of BJJ gi's and I find the quality of Mizuno Judo Gi's to be on par if not much better than the BJJ Gis.

Sometimes I have no clean gi's and wear my BJJ Gi with a Judo belt, but I make sure that I make anyone in my class aware that I am NOT a BJJ black belt and would never try and confuse anyone into thinking that I am.
'

You might state that you are not, but the average person who sees your site is going to assume that you are. Also, I would stick to your area of expertise. Not saying anything about specific techs, but some of them seems like they are not moves that you specialize in.

As an instructor I try not to show things that I am not good at and dont have a full understanding of. If I am asked specific questions on stuff like that, I give brief answers and only on what I would do in this situation, not that it is the right thing. Then direct the student or classmate to someone who would be a better person to ask.

This is a good topic you guys whould post on sherdog, It really is interesting to see the different sides to this issue. As I stated, and as Art Vanderley mistakingly pointed out ( I was intentionally misleading the public by wearing the 2 together).

As I stated, I wear the gis because they the best ones I've ever had. We do a lot of throwing, grabbing, and grappling in our system the the "BJJ KIMINOS" hold up better than any other I had over the last 20 years. The cut is also much better. My intention had nothing to do with deception but an oversight that I didn't think was an issue until some people started pointing it out.

MY opinion is that the kimono (atama, koral etc) is not the sole property of the BJJer and I'll still wear it when I teach my JJJ or gi grappling classes.

next....

I have to disagree on this. Would your JJJ or Judo school allow you as an instructor to wear a colored GI coverred in patches?

Check out some nice Judo gis, they are actually much better for throwing and gripping, unless your looking to compete in BJJ.

Here is a question, what belt rank do you think you would be in BJJ

I'm really trying to be neutral here. Trouble is where you find it and I suspected that if Ari started to make explainations for himself and that the more he said the more risk he was of making a mistake. To opening himself up to attacks for misplaced words and twisted contexts.

He is not doing a "Khristian Geraci", he has never misrepresented himself (I'm pretty cynical when it comes judging that) and his videos are up for criticisim and that comes with the territory of being an instructor.

He's right I think. Every response leads to something else and more debate over what I say (or you say). Hence, the reason I won't keep going on with this thread after I am done today. Not for the fact that some points are worth while but the fact that our energy is better spent doing the things we love more.

next....

Kind of funny that Geraci (a pro fighter, regardless of what you think of his record) wears a black he attributes to JJ in a Gameness gi, and those fruits from the YMCA wear their TKD/other silliness blacks in BJJ gis, and they get pounded hard for false advertising/lying, but this one gets a free pass.

You are way off base comparing these guys to Khristian Geraci here.

Khristian Geraci did NOT wear a legitimate JJ belt with a Gameness gi. He wore a black belt with a Gameness gi that he specifically stated numerous times (on his website, in person, over the phone, to promoters, to his students, etc.) was a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt. He only started saying that it was a black belt in another form of JJ when people pointed out his lie about BJJ. It then turned out that his claim to having a black belt in another form of JJ was a lie too.

In fact, almost everything else he had in his advertising was a lie too. His MMA record was a lie. His boxing record was a lie. His status as an MMA champ was a lie. His military service was a HUGE lie. There are more lies as well, but it's too long to list.

To make it very clear: Khristian Geraci claimed a BJJ black belt specifically, numerous times. He was also completely lying about that or even having a black belt in anything else.

These guys aren't even close to doing what he did. Not even close.

It wasn't a mistake. If a guy in a Cop uniform asks me for my license, I don't ponder whether it's just a guy who likes the way the uniform looks or fits.

If a guy in a white coat is inspecting your potentially cancerous mole, you're not thinking its "Dr." von Nostrand.

250px-Seinfeld_s9e13.jpg

Am I crazy, or am I so sane that you just blew your mind?

It is simliar, not the same thing. Both were misleading people, weather directly or indirectly they both wore black belts and people were made to think that they were BJJ belts.

I dont think that the subs101 guys are bad people. But I dont think that it is right to show techs in the BB with a BJJ gi on. Then list your training resume with BJJ and 10th planet on the top of it.

Would it be ok for me to show BJJ in my Judo gi and belt and like it off my Schools JJ page? While I am not telling people that I am a BB in BJJ, I am implying it.

He's right I think. Every response leads to something else and more debate over what I say (or you say). Hence, the reason I won't keep going on with this thread after I am done today. Not for the fact that some points are worth while but the fact that our energy is better spent doing the things we love more.

next....

Ari,

You have yet to reply to my questions I asked you earlier in this page, could you please address them before the new replies?

Sub 101 answer these;

-Where did you learn the BJJ techniques you teach?
-What level do you think you would be in BJJ?
-Why not actually train BJJ, regularly, from a legitimate source?
H-ave you ever competed in a real grappling tournament? If so, in what division? How did you fair?
-Do you think there is anything wrong with you teaching grappling techniques you admittedly don't know too good?
-If I put on a traditional JJJ Kimono and started teaching people JJJ based off of things I learned on DVD and at seminars. If I was often missing key elements to the techniques and mispronouncing the terminology while wearing a JJJ Kimono with my non-descript black belt, would you take offense to it? If I put my "techniques" all over the internet, was sponsored by a JJJ company and had a website called JJJ101, would you consider that an insult to the years you've put into JJJ? Do you think the JJJ community at large would take offense and call me out on it? Please be honest in your response.

You are way off base comparing these guys to Khristian Geraci here.

Not the same. I just tossed it out there because he was specifically attacked for the gi issue, and defended with a JJ claim. Definitely not fair to say the actions are the same. I also thought the KG TMA belt was legit, so I am not up to speed on that epic unraveling.

next....

There have been some very good points brought up here, but I have a few questions for Ari (Submissions 101).

1) Where did you learn the techniques you teach?

You have a host of techniques on your website, and im assuming with no formal BJJ instruction, it'd be very hard to learn alot of the intricate details behind the techniques if you were to only learn them through video instructionals. Giving you the benefit of the doubt im sure you've probably attended a few seminars, but that definately does not make up for real, solid, regular instruction, from the watchful eye of a legitimate BJJ instructor. I honestly dont think you should be teaching moves, let alone through a medium such as the internet, because it can be very easy for the viewer to get a false sense of actually being able to apply techniques that were taught poorly, and with huge lacks of detail in the first place.

2) There are plenty of solid schools in Canada (BTT, Nova Uniao, Gracie Barra, RGDA) that you could easily go to and get really good instruction from them, why have you gone down the Solo route?

I understand that having a very accomplished Martial Arts background like yourself, you probably dont want to have to go through the stages of wearing the white belt again. It is a very humbling experience im sure, but its something that we all have had to do at one point in time. Why do you insist to wear a BJJ gi, AND a JJJ black belt in your videos. I think that if you truly in your heart had the desire to want people to know that you dont have a BJJ background, then possibly you could put it as a disclaimer in the beginning of all of your videos. That way someone interested in BJJ will not confuse what your doing with actual BJJ.

3) Why not go to a real BJJ school in your area, and compete with some of the Blue Belts on up in their academies?

Its very easy to make yourself look good in front of your own students, but dont you at least owe that much to your students, and that much to your internet audience to at least go see for yourself EXACTLY where you stand against other GOOD grapplers?

4) Lastly, do you tell your students that they can wear the belts they get from your school, in other BJJ academies?

I've read that you have kind of "created" your own "system". Normally that wouldnt bother me one bit, but when you start promoting people then it begins to worry me. I find it also Ironic you mention of using the same exact belt ranking system of BJJ (white, blue, purple, brown, black). So that means that people are wearing BJJ Gi's, Getting watered down BJJ Instruction, and being promoted in the same chronological manner as BJJ belts. Do you see why everyone says that the actions of Submissions 101 is misleading? BJJ Sponsors, BJJ gi's, BJJ promotion style, and watered down BJJ Instruction.

Please take no offense to these questions, I just honestly feel that this is something that the public deserves to know.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eusZGjMaW5g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eusZGjMaW5g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

There have been some very good points brought up here, but I have a few questions for Ari (Submissions 101).

1) Where did you learn the techniques you teach?

You have a host of techniques on your website, and im assuming with no formal BJJ instruction, it'd be very hard to learn alot of the intricate details behind the techniques if you were to only learn them through video instructionals. Giving you the benefit of the doubt im sure you've probably attended a few seminars, but that definately does not make up for real, solid, regular instruction, from the watchful eye of a legitimate BJJ instructor. I honestly dont think you should be teaching moves, let alone through a medium such as the internet, because it can be very easy for the viewer to get a false sense of actually being able to apply techniques that were taught poorly, and with huge lacks of detail in the first place.

2) There are plenty of solid schools in Canada (BTT, Nova Uniao, Gracie Barra, RGDA) that you could easily go to and get really good instruction from them, why have you gone down the Solo route?

I understand that having a very accomplished Martial Arts background like yourself, you probably dont want to have to go through the stages of wearing the white belt again. It is a very humbling experience im sure, but its something that we all have had to do at one point in time. Why do you insist to wear a BJJ gi, AND a JJJ black belt in your videos. I think that if you truly in your heart had the desire to want people to know that you dont have a BJJ background, then possibly you could put it as a disclaimer in the beginning of all of your videos. That way someone interested in BJJ will not confuse what your doing with actual BJJ.

3) Why not go to a real BJJ school in your area, and compete with some of the Blue Belts on up in their academies?

Its very easy to make yourself look good in front of your own students, but dont you at least owe that much to your students, and that much to your internet audience to at least go see for yourself EXACTLY where you stand against other GOOD grapplers?

4) Lastly, do you tell your students that they can wear the belts they get from your school, in other BJJ academies?

I've read that you have kind of "created" your own "system". Normally that wouldnt bother me one bit, but when you start promoting people then it begins to worry me. I find it also Ironic you mention of using the same exact belt ranking system of BJJ (white, blue, purple, brown, black). So that means that people are wearing BJJ Gi's, Getting watered down BJJ Instruction, and being promoted in the same chronological manner as BJJ belts. Do you see why everyone says that the actions of Submissions 101 is misleading? BJJ Sponsors, BJJ gi's, BJJ promotion style, and watered down BJJ Instruction.

Please take no offense to these questions, I just honestly feel that this is something that the public deserves to know.

Darcebrabo:

Finally, I can get you your questions. Thanks for waiting this out. I appreciate it.
1) My experience of techniques comes from the regualr intruction I had in JJJ along with seminars I've attended along with grapplers that have shared knowledge with me. My JJJ had a stong ne waza component to it. Many people assume that JJJ is just throws and wrist locks (I read that on this very thread). There seems to be a lack of knowledge when it comes to JJJ ryu ha ( I am not sure if there are any TMA on this forum or thread but I head it all the time). I will say this, I think that BJJ has refind the ground grappling down to a science over the last 80 years. Many techniques that we do or I have show are with a JJJ fell to them.

"I don't like his sweep because that is not how we do it or it's sloppy for BJJ." That might be true for you, but not all technqiues look the same. I remember learning from a technique from a purple belt from Pedro Sauer years back when I just opened my door. He called it the Scorpion Crunch (the vid is actually up) and I said "wow, that's great." We practiced it, and I have been using it ever since.

My grappling does come from a different background than many of you. I ALSO realized that, in order to get better, I needed to seek out someone who could HELP me get better at BJJ. My choice was Eddie Bravo. I FULLY admit that I have lots to learn. We all do. I stand here humbly telling you that I doing what I can to get better.

2) There are some great schools up here. As I said, I chose to study under EB. I didn't chose a solo route per se, I started teaching in 2003 JJJ (basically a goshin style). This included both T JJJ and grappling technqiues.

You said that I prob don't want to go through the stages of wearing a white belt again. You wrong bud. I have a drawer full of white belts. I done a few martial arts in my day and when I started a new one, I was glad to wear the white belt again. That's never been an issue with me, really. When I visit other dojos, I wear a white belt unless the instructor gives me the ok to have me wear my BB (usually JJJ or aikido schools).

The disclaimer is a good idea. I use the term jiu jtisu and not BJJ for a reason. I could also use 'grappling'. Listen, I am not trying to step on the BJJ community's toes and I see us as a family.

3) I've rolled with lots of bjj guys. Been tapped and have tapped. And every time I've tapped, I asked "how'd you set that up? What did I miss?" I've got time for those guys who are willing to share and help. I don't have time for those who don't.

4) I tell my students that when they go to another gym, they wear their white belts (although we are moving away from the gi altogether). I must correct you on a point you've made that is untrue. The belt ranking system I use is from the JJJ system (well, not the traditional TRADITIONAL one where there are only white and black belts: kyu and yudansha ranks). My site clearly states we use the white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, and black ranking system in out Goshin JJ classes. I DO not rank under the BJJ belt system and if that changes in the future where I am able to or my students get ranked under EB, that will change.

So, I tried to answer that as best I could. Dude, I've got screen burn because I've been looking and typing for about 3 hours now. I thought you deserved answers to your questions.

You may not like what you see, some videos may have merit to you, others may not. Such as life.

with repsect
Ari

next....

wow this is crazy. I've been watching Submissions101 since January and I've thought Ari was a BJJ Black belt the whole time. Just finding out now...

With that said, Ari seems like a cool cat.

Just a personal anecdote on the belt/gi issue:

At the end of college, I was an assistant instructor at a BJJ school that shared mat space and class time with a judo school. I was a BJJ blue belt and had no ranking in judo.

We would regularly combine the classes. The first hour was essentially throwing techniques taught by judo guys; the second hour was groundwork taught by the BJJ guys. No one really changed belts at the hour mark.

We wore our BJJ belts to the throwing part, and the judo guys wore their belts to the groundwork part. I don't think there was anything deceptive about this.

We would line up formally to bow at the beginning and end of class. Since BJJ and judo have the same belt order, we just lined up in that order. So as a blue belt, I would stand to the right of any judo whites, yellows, oranges, or greens, and to the left of the purple, browns, and blacks. All the instructors that day would stand at the front.

I'm sure some random passerby could have confused me for a judo blue belt instead of a BJJ blue belt if they walked in to the throwing portion. But everyone who trained there knew what was up. We never misrepresented anything.

When you combine two arts, you run into these issues. I still think it's better to just combine the two anyway. I know that my judo experience has helped me quite a bit in BJJ competition.

I know some people might say that we should have probably had everyone on the mat run off and change belts (and gis apparently too now based on what I'm reading) when the clock passed the hour mark. But I can assure you that there were a lot of real legitimate BJJ guys and real legitimate judo guys on the mat there who didn't seem to think it was an issue at all.

Ari,

Very classy reply, I respect that. You said here:

Finally, I can get you your questions. Thanks for waiting this out. I appreciate it.
1) My experience of techniques comes from the regualr intruction I had in JJJ along with seminars I've attended along with grapplers that have shared knowledge with me. My JJJ had a stong ne waza component to it. Many people assume that JJJ is just throws and wrist locks (I read that on this very thread). There seems to be a lack of knowledge when it comes to JJJ ryu ha ( I am not sure if there are any TMA on this forum or thread but I head it all the time). I will say this, I think that BJJ has refind the ground grappling down to a science over the last 80 years. Many techniques that we do or I have show are with a JJJ fell to them.

"I don't like his sweep because that is not how we do it or it's sloppy for BJJ." That might be true for you, but not all technqiues look the same. I remember learning from a technique from a purple belt from Pedro Sauer years back when I just opened my door. He called it the Scorpion Crunch (the vid is actually up) and I said "wow, that's great." We practiced it, and I have been using it ever since.

1)My question to this is what style of JJJ exactly teaches you all of the Guard passes, Chokes, and Guard sweeps that you teach in your video instructionals?

Im a very big fan of Koryu Bugei, and I've studied Japanese history for the past 10yrs, and I will honestly say that I have yet to see 90% of the things you teach in any of the Ryuha Densho, or Makimono (Basically Japanese Manuscripts or "scrolls" for the Nihon Bugei impared)?

Would it be possible if you shared with us, with whom you received your Nihon Ju Jutsu training from? I'd like to consider myself to be very well educated in most forms of Nihon Ju Jutsu pre, and post WW2, and I think it'd be a great discussion to figure out how alot of the techniques you teach found there way into the Koryu Bugei.

You also mentioned that you did a form of Goshin Jutsu, but that pretty much just loosely translates to self defense, and im pretty sure there are no serious remnents of Ne Waza there. Most of the Kansetsu Waza, Gyaku-Te Waza, and Shime-Waza is very "basic' at best.

2) There are some great schools up here. As I said, I chose to study under EB. I didn't chose a solo route per se, I started teaching in 2003 JJJ (basically a goshin style). This included both T JJJ and grappling technqiues.

2) Has Eddie given you an evaluation of exactly where he feels that you are skill wise at this point in time? Im sorry if that is a bit too personal, I just honestly wanted to know. If thats too personal, can I ask you is it impossible for you to still follow Eddie Bravo's system under the constant tuteledge of a legitimate BJJ instructor? There are plenty of us here who enjoy Eddie's techniques, but we still follow an instructor that see's us everyday to correct our movement and technique.

3) I've rolled with lots of bjj guys. Been tapped and have tapped. And every time I've tapped, I asked "how'd you set that up? What did I miss?" I've got time for those guys who are willing to share and help. I don't have time for those who don't.

3) What belt level were the people that you rolled with? I know Mark Bocek personally, as well as the rest of the Nova Uniao gang over there, and it would be a great way to gauge exactly where you stand with some guys that are really good.

I would like to conclude this post by saying that I really like your intentions. I feel that you have a great heart, and a true appeal for the sport. The thing that bothers me is that when I watch your video, there are several, crucial details that are left out in not only the verbage, but in your movement as well. This is the major issue that alot of other people who are watching your videos have. Its very misleading to the untrained eye when they see you teach, primarily because you are wearing a black belt. If you had the disclaimer in the beginning of all of your videos, or a disclaimer posted on the front page of your website, it would be easier for people to see, and then judge based on everything from there.

Back