Study: Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

NoDak

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't obsessively stress over this subject but the WR does and there are indeed plenty of examples of how it has spilled into 'real life' with real consequences for some people. As for how the majority of us actually feel though, it turns out the bloodstained walls of the interwebs are pretty misleading and this should've (hopefully) already been evident just based on your day to day IRL interactions.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/572581/

Article excerpts with the study (a pdf file) in the hyperlink:

On social media, the country seems to divide into two neat camps: Call them the woke and the resentful. Team Resentment is manned—pun very much intended—by people who are predominantly old and almost exclusively white. Team Woke is young, likely to be female, and predominantly black, brown, or Asian (though white “allies” do their dutiful part). These teams are roughly equal in number, and they disagree most vehemently, as well as most routinely, about the catchall known as political correctness.

Reality is nothing like this. As scholars Stephen Hawkins, Daniel Yudkin, Miriam Juan-Torres, and Tim Dixon argue in a report published Wednesday, “Hidden Tribes: A Study of America’s Polarized Landscape,” most Americans don’t fit into either of these camps. They also share more common ground than the daily fights on social media might suggest—including a general aversion to PC culture.

Most members of the “exhausted majority,” and then some, dislike political correctness. Among the general population, a full 80 percent believe that “political correctness is a problem in our country.” Even young people are uncomfortable with it, including 74 percent ages 24 to 29, and 79 percent under age 24. On this particular issue, the woke are in a clear minority across all ages.

Youth isn’t a good proxy for support of political correctness—and it turns out race isn’t, either.

Whites are ever so slightly less likely than average to believe that political correctness is a problem in the country: 79 percent of them share this sentiment. Instead, it is Asians (82 percent), Hispanics (87 percent), and American Indians (88 percent) who are most likely to oppose political correctness.

The one part of the standard narrative that the data partially affirm is that African Americans are most likely to support political correctness. But the difference between them and other groups is much smaller than generally supposed: Three quarters of African Americans oppose political correctness.

People do not behave as if they strongly dislike political correctness- they behave as if they strongly dislike the other side's political correctness, but mostly like their own.

That's a 100+ page study btw.

The Wokeness and Social Justice really came on strong the last few years. It's sorta Political Correctness x 10,000 with all these victim groups now. Islam, Gays, Transgenders, females, any non white person. Wokeness/Social Justice teaches that they are all oppressed by White Christian males. And also oppressed by "the System" whatever that means.

That was a very interesting read. Overall not that surprising but some of the numbers are particularly fascinating (natives being most opposed to it). Common element is majority are not racist or want to be racist but they feel like they have to walk on eggshells, even with benign comments.

Read an interesting quote that goes along with the articles notion of media involvment: majority of Americans are not on twitter, but news outlet's have to be on twitter; and they have to be bombarded by the extreme views on both sides

Last edited:
The most vocal in the online world are the ones that are least effected by political correctness.

The ones that actually are actively affected are too busy living their lives.

That's why you get groups full of people with nothing better to do "protesting" shit they never experienced "on behalf" of other groups they know nothing about.

The Wokeness and Social Justice really came on strong the last few years. It's sorta Political Correctness x 10,000 with all these victim groups now. Islam, Gays, Transgenders, females, any non white person. Wokeness/Social Justice teaches that they are all oppressed by White Christian males. And also oppressed by "the System" whatever that means.

Dude, you christians are in the majority, and you still behave like Jews in the 1st century Roman Empire. You people, out of all people, should not complain about the victim complex of others....

People do not behave as if they strongly dislike political correctness- they behave as if they strongly dislike the other side's political correctness, but mostly like their own.

That was a very interesting read. Overall not that surprising but some of the numbers are particularly fascinating (natives being most opposed to it). Common element is majority are not racist or want to be racist but they feel like they have to walk on eggshells, even with benign comments.

Read an interesting quote that goes along with the articles notion of media involvment: majority of Americans are not on twitter, but news outlet's have to be on twitter; and they have to be bombarded by the extreme views on both sides

I've never heard of the initiative that conducted this research and social science isn't my thing to say the least, but I appreciate the elbow grease it seems they put into compiling this (fairly extensive) report.

The report was conducted by More in Common, a new international initiative to build societies and communities that are stronger, more united, and more resilient to the increasing threats of polarization and social division. We work in partnership with a wide range of civil society groups, as well as philanthropy, business, faith, education, media and government to connect people across the lines of division.

Can't be mad at that? Love all y'all, by the way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would there be a socially right wing political correctness?

I suspect its moreso that your talking about a quite ill defined subject, at the basic level of not using racist, sexist, homophobic slurs when talking with or about people I think you'd probably get broad support but the results your seeing here are probably at the more extreme end, your crazed SJW looking to take offence at anything, your political or political media type looking to weaponise the subject and call out opponents as racist, sexist, etc.

If you reversed it and looked at the alt right kind of mindset as well I think you'd find the general public are mostly against that as well.

Ok, this is really Woke.

Innately privileged white males at the University of Pennsylvania will be called on last — if at all — by their Woke "queer disabled feminist" teacher.

UPenn teaching assistant and Ph.D. student Stephanie McKellop explained how she seeks "social justice" in her classroom, namely by calling on those at the top of the victimhood hierarchy first and working her way down to those evil white men.

"I will always call on my Black women students first. Other [people of color] get second tier priority. And, if I have to, white men," she wrote on Twitter.

Logical people can spot insanity and varying forms of mental illness

Ok, this is really Woke.

Not as woke as this.

livingston.jpg

... But Wait!

Rutgers May Discipline Professor Who Made Anti-White Facebook Posts

A longtime Rutgers University history professor could be facing disciplinary action after an investigation by the university concluded he violated its discrimination and harassment policy when he posted on Facebook that he hates white people, a comment he argues was “satirical.”

Rutgers’ decision, the professor says, threatens the tradition of academic freedom at public institutions. But the university argues it needs to maintain a discrimination-free environment.

Harlem Diner Owners Blast Professor's Racist Rant On White Kids

“For five years and counting, we built our business on a prerogative [of] cherishing diversity within our ownership, staff and customers in our beloved Harlem COMMUNITY. We refuse to be sucked into your racist rants, so if you wish to name drop, please use names of those with similar views,” Pasic and Coaxum told TheBlaze.

“We ask that our name is removed from your rant because we do not want to have anything to do with you,” the women added. “And yeah, we ask that you get your burgers somewhere else. We do not tolerate racism either. We thrive on equality and fairness and have full intentions to keep it that way!”

Dude, you christians are in the majority, and you still behave like Jews in the 1st century Roman Empire. You people, out of all people, should not complain about the victim complex of others....

As a Christian I fully support this post.

What's to like? Social engineering people to repeat (if not believe) nonsense and/or suppress free expression won't sit well with many. It retards thought and communication.

“Political correctness is communist propaganda writ small. In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, nor to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is to co-operate with evil, and in some small way to become evil oneself. One’s standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine political correctness, it has the same effect and is intended to.“

– Theodore Dalrymple

Last edited:
Good.
Fuck PC scumbags.
How about people are people instead of this group or that group

...isn't there a song about that?

As a Christian I fully support this post.

This always makes your discussions with a poster like ripstaker more interesting than most IMO; it just comes from a different place and angle of understanding of his POV. Like if I discuss LGB - meh on the T and conflation - issues with him or something, he's cordial enough but it's always kind of a quick dead end.

We aren't in charge anymore.. government and money/media working together to run everything, and basically prove they can overcome our will.

PC makes it ok to be weird assholes.. You just have to not press any magic non-pc button, and you can be a rotten person.

Don't treat anybody like crap. Don't say derogatory things, in a truly mean spirited way, about anybody.. Unless they really, really deserve it.. and if they realky deserve it? Screw your "protected classes."

Back